bringing soft drink onboard?

korky1

I have brought a 12 pack of diet coke/coke light on every cruise I have boarded. I just carry the 12 pack with my carry-on luggage. Never once have I had a problem boarding in Europe, USA or Australia. The only time I have heard of problems is during "Spring Break" in the USA.

So what is the current opinion on bringing on cokes?

Can I put them in the checked luggage or do they need to be in the carry-ons?

I know that Carnival used to allow cokes to be checked, but now they require them to be carried on, but I need to know for sure about Royal.:)

I would rather put them in a checked bag for sure, but I don't want any problems.

Thanks!

I know that Carnival used to allow cokes to be checked, but now they require them to be carried on, but I need to know for sure about Royal.:)

I would rather put them in a checked bag for sure, but I don't want any problems.

Thanks!

If you put beverages in your checked bags, they may be delayed by security.

Thanks!

We have put a case of diet coke and a case of water in the "checked" luggage at the pier every cruise and never had a problem. We don't put it in a suit case or bag, just tape the luggage tag to it.

Funny how when someone asks about bringing alcohol onboard they are bombarded with how morally wrong it is and they will cause the price of the cruise to increase because they are purchasing a few less drinks at the bar or if they are too cheap to buy alcohol on board then they shouldn't be cruising. So if it is technically against the rules to bring on any other kind of beverage why do so many people think that it is okay to do so? Why are people who do not wish to purchase pop (much cheaper than alcohol at $6.50/day for unlimited package) from the cruiseline not pounced upon and get called immoral thieves who are too cheap and therefore shouldn't cruise, etc., etc., etc.????

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with bringing on any beverage, just wondering why there is the double standard here - seems the same people who denounce those wishing to bring on a little bit of alcohol are the ones saying they bring pop/water on all the time!!!!

Funny how when someone asks about bringing alcohol onboard they are bombarded with how morally wrong it is and they will cause the price of the cruise to increase because they are purchasing a few less drinks at the bar or if they are too cheap to buy alcohol on board then they shouldn't be cruising. So if it is technically against the rules to bring on any other kind of beverage why do so many people think that it is okay to do so? Why are people who do not wish to purchase pop (much cheaper than alcohol at $6.50/day for unlimited package) from the cruiseline not pounced upon and get called immoral thieves who are too cheap and therefore shouldn't cruise, etc., etc., etc.????

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with bringing on any beverage, just wondering why there is the double standard here - seems the same people who denounce those wishing to bring on a little bit of alcohol are the ones saying they bring pop/water on all the time!!!!

I can speak personally to this one.....I have gotten pounced on for saying I was bringing a few diet cokes in my carry on!!!! IMO I really only drink diet cokes on the sea days or sometimes with dinner. And, every once in awhile in my stateroom. So, IF the cruiselines would have a daily option, I would never feel the need to smuggle. You have to remember, not everyone has tons of money to drop on beverage packages and the like. They may have saved awhile just to take a cruise or they have multiple people in their family/party which would make for a lot of extra money spent on drinks. If I felt like I was going to be drinking 21+ diet cokes while onboard, I would have no problem purchasing the beverage package. And, I actually did end up purchasing one for my upcoming cruise which I'm sure I won't get my money's worth. However, my mom only wants maybe one per day so we'd like to bring a few in our carry on once again......let the scourning begin in 3....2....1

I love how everyone says soda is ok but liquor is not, when the policy is identical for each. And so are the reasons for ignoring the policy

I certainly did not say soda is ok. I was clear about both the actual policy and the likely outcome.

While the rationales for bringing on liquor and water/soda are the same, I think part of the issue is the uneven, lax enforcement of the ban on the latter. It seems that aside from certain ports and/or certain times of year, they don't care about water/soda, and it's hard to care more about enforcing the rules than those tasked with enforcing them. It also seems that people are fairly open about the water/soda they want to bring on (putting a luggage tag on a case, etc.), whereas alcohol "smugglers" often go to greater lengths to conceal their "smuggling" (rum runners, filling up water bottles, etc.). Again, if you essentially ask the handlers if it's ok and they waive you through, it's hard to get up in arms at the person asking.

IMO RCI should either enforce the ban or scrap it.

Why???? Because there are those that have health issues that prevent them from enjoying the soda beverages that are offered on board. There are many people that are allergic to the diet varieties offered where NutraSweet/Aspartame is used as the sugar substitute. This also goes for the "sugar free" desserts that are offered on board any RCI ship.

I can speak personally to this one.....I have gotten pounced on for saying I was bringing a few diet cokes in my carry on!!!! IMO I really only drink diet cokes on the sea days or sometimes with dinner. And, every once in awhile in my stateroom. So, IF the cruiselines would have a daily option, I would never feel the need to smuggle. You have to remember, not everyone has tons of money to drop on beverage packages and the like. They may have saved awhile just to take a cruise or they have multiple people in their family/party which would make for a lot of extra money spent on drinks. If I felt like I was going to be drinking 21+ diet cokes while onboard, I would have no problem purchasing the beverage package. And, I actually did end up purchasing one for my upcoming cruise which I'm sure I won't get my money's worth. However, my mom only wants maybe one per day so we'd like to bring a few in our carry on once again......let the scourning begin in 3....2....1

I agree not everyone wants to spend a small fortune on beverages. But in my case my drink of choice is Diet Mt Dew you can't find that in most places I've traveled so I make sure I have a Dew with me!

Ok, those wishing to have a few alcoholic drinks also save, scrimp, scrounge and probably don't wish to spend a large fortune on their preferred beverages either so back to my original question/observation - why is it that it is okay to smuggle on these beverages but not alcohol? Why do people who even mention smuggling alcohol on board get called immoral, thieves, cheats, cheap and all the other derogatory things that are posted???? It is much, much, much cheaper to buy a soda or glass of juice on board then it is an alcoholic drink. And don't say that people don't have to drink alcohol because they don't have to drink soda or juice either - there is plenty of free water on board.

Edited by Clipper123

Why???? Because there are those that have health issues that prevent them from enjoying the soda beverages that are offered on board. There are many people that are allergic to the diet varieties offered where NutraSweet/Aspartame is used as the sugar substitute. This also goes for the "sugar free" desserts that are offered on board any RCI ship.

That has absolutely nothing to do with what I asked or the observation I made. Everyone has their reason for smuggling on whatever it is they choose to smuggle on. My question/observation was why do those who wish to smuggle on alcohol get crapped upon yet it is okay to smuggle on your desired beverage???

That has absolutely nothing to do with what I asked or the observation I made. Everyone has their reason for smuggling on whatever it is they choose to smuggle on. My question/observation was why do those who wish to smuggle on alcohol get crapped upon yet it is okay to smuggle on your desired beverage???

It's exactly the same. Hypocrite is the word

We purchase the soda card but we bring a twelve-pack to have in our cabin when it's really early or really late and we don't want to disturb anyone but just need a soft drink. We usually have a few left over and we leave them for the cabin steward. It's just a matter of convenience and not an attempt to cheat anyone. We bring Diet Dr. Pepper, which we love and can't get on the ship.

Is it okay, no, it's actually a PITA.....but until RCI gets more educated on those with diabetes as well as allergies to the ingredients in what they are offering in the way of beverages, we will continue to carry on our choices which are of the non-alcoholic variety.:D

We purchase the soda card but we bring a twelve-pack to have in our cabin when it's really early or really late and we don't want to disturb anyone but just need a soft drink. We usually have a few left over and we leave them for the cabin steward. It's just a matter of convenience and not an attempt to cheat anyone. We bring Diet Dr. Pepper, which we love and can't get on the ship.

I was just going to say the same thing.

The whole family will have the soda/premium package. I just like to have a few sodas to keep in the room.