Shopping at Puerta Maya

bluegirlum

We will be in Cozumel in March and docked at the International Terminal. We are going to Papito's for the day, but I want to do a little shopping before we get back on the ship. I'm thinking of having the cab drop us off at Puerta Maya on the way back, as I understand it is not too long of a walk from there to the International Terminal (I am choosing Puerta Maya instead of "downtown" because downtown is farther and we may not have a lot of time).

What kind of shopping is there at Puerta Maya? Is there somewhere to buy perfume? Is the Los Cinco Soles any good?

Thanks!

You'll find a lot of stores and small shops in PM. many are outlets of downtown stores. You just don't get the little kiosks and wagons like around the plaza. The Los Cincos Soles there is fairly decent in selection of good, but may not have everything the downtown store has. They do have the vanilla there. I'm not certain on perfume, but probably some shop there has it if there's a demand for it. And it's literally a 5 minute walk back to the International Pier. So coming from Papitos and not on an excursion bus, just telling the taxi to drop you at Puerta Maya is easy to do. No need to even mention International Pier.

There is a duty free shop right at the end of the Pier at Puerta Maya that has a TON of perfume. I know, cause I bought some cologne there on our way back to the ship. Our waiter always smelled so nice, so I asked him what he wore and he told me what it was and that he got it at the shop at the end of the pier.

So now not only does my husband smell great, he reminds me of the cruise as well!

There are all kinds of stores there inc liquor, tobacco, costmetics, Pandora etc as well as independent vendors. The cigarettes and booze were way cheaper than the ship. I bought 3 bottles of Kahlua for $15 I think. They had a 3-$15 deal and you could mix/match. The Kahlua was the best bargain for me. Also cigarettes were significantly cheaper than the ship was but don't remember the cost. A 2-carton pkg of Marlboro Lights was around $70 on the ship....want to say $50 @ the PM shop. I was getting them for someone else and she was very happy with the "value". Yeh I know, we won't even GO there! :)

Also cigarettes were significantly cheaper than the ship was but don't remember the cost. A 2-carton pkg of Marlboro Lights was around $70 on the ship....want to say $50 @ the PM shop. I was getting them for someone else and she was very happy with the "value". Yeh I know, we won't even GO there! :)

Ha! When my ex-BF and I used to cruise, he would stock up on cigarettes because of the "great deals"! I just smiled and nodded. :D

Thanks for the tips everyone!

I'm not going to repeat what the others have said but will comment on Los Cinco Soles. I'd recommend them. Vanilla is popular and Los Cinco Soles gets high ratings for the vanilla they sell. I bought some for my mom as a gift since I don't bake that much, so I can't comment on it personally. It's a larger store and they have a lot in there. I wasn't looking for perfume so I can't say if they had any or not. What we really liked was that the employees don't hassle you to come into their store. We walked in and were greeted immediately by an employee but she was not pushy. They may ask if you are looking for something in particular (we weren't) but we never found them pushy.