Arranging Solos for couples

Earl Colby Pottinger

Over the years my two friends Sonya and Leonie have done a number of cruises where we have shared a cabin together (Myself and one other each time). In the past each girl has done a solo cruise and I have just done one in December.

In talking to each other we all discovered we missed having a companion to share certain events/excursions with another person, but found we LOVED having an entire cabin to ourselves.

So in future cruises we plan to get solo cabins only, but like to have them close to each other if possible. So how hard is it to get:

1) Two balconies rooms on opposite sides of the ship, for scenic photo ops? We have used the front decks to shoot coming into port, but that can be very windy at times. And when docked one side of the ship is usually the better side to take photos from.

2) Two balconies side by side to join the balconies together. Are they available often together?

3) One balcony and an inside cabin nearby - this would be a good cost saving but I understand this done mostly by families, is there a problem with solos doing it?

4) While I know that getting two adjoining inside cabins are available, are three adjoining cabins available if wanted?

So far I have sailed Carnival and Holland America and will be doing NCL next month. Is there any other cruise line that would be better for the above arrangements, or is it just the ships.

PS. RCCL, Cunard, Princess etc are all planned for in the future, I am just asking if there is any one cruise line that stands out to people for our requirements.

Edited by Earl Colby Pottinger

The cruiselines don't care what cabins you book;)....if what you are looking for is available and you are happy with the price? BOOK IT:D

Yes, many times families book a balcony with an inside across the hall~

I would think there would multiple reasons....space, safety and $$ would

be 3 things I can think of right now.

If you want balconies next to each other? Just find 2 that are still open

for booking. If they open up together? You would have to ask the cruiseline about it. Some balconies do, others don't.

Hope you have a great time:)

• 2 weeks later...

I have friends I cruise with once a year. We get connecting balcony cabins, typically. They're pretty easy to find, though on NCL they're more common in the "family" category than others.

Take a look at the deck plan for the ship you're considering, then shop accordingly. Connecting cabins are AWESOME -- you can open the door and have an extra-big room with two of everything, or shut it and have privacy.

On NCL ships that have solo cabins, some of THEM have connecting doors. That might be perfect if you two can stand a tiny inside like that.