Parking at the port at Port Canaveral

mspink98

One of our traveling companions next week on Explorer has some health issues that make standing for extended periods very difficult, so I just decided to stop stressing about it and park at the port rather than offsite. We've always used offsite parking and have our timing all worked out for that route, but we've never parked at the port before. We'll be out of the new terminal, Terminal 1, any advice on when to arrive to reduce our standing around time as much as possible? I know we won't be able to GPS the new terminal, I assume it's well-signed once we arrive at the port area?

port website says

9050 Discovery Pl, Port Canaveral, FL 32920

if you use the address for Grills at the port, it would be the place next door . . .

or

LAT 28 24 28 N

LONG 80 36 45 W

Edited by Capt_BJ

port website says

9050 Discovery Pl, Port Canaveral, FL 32920

if you use the address for Grills at the port, it would be the place next door . . .

or

LAT 28 24 28 N

LONG 80 36 45 W

Don't know why it never occurred to me to just use Grills. :rolleyes: It's possible I'm overthinking things, lol.

Edited by mspink98

I would suggest trying to arrive around 10A or 10:30A. Give the off going cruisers time to clear the lot and give you a better choice of parking without having to be forced up to a higher floor.

You can drop off the passengers first and then head to the parking facility. There's also a pre reservation discount available. check the port's website: http://www.portcanaveral.com/Cruise/Directions-Parking

I would suggest trying to arrive around 10A or 10:30A. Give the off going cruisers time to clear the lot and give you a better choice of parking without having to be forced up to a higher floor.

You can drop off the passengers first and then head to the parking facility. There's also a pre reservation discount available. check the port's website: http://www.portcanaveral.com/Cruise/Directions-Parking

Not sure that is discounted. Looks like normal price to me. $15 a day. 7 night cruise = 8 days

Yes, it is very easy to navigate to Terminal 1 and using Grills as general destination is a good idea!

However, coming from Orlando, once you make right turn from 528 and the sharp left under the bridge onto George King Blvd, please stop listening to the GPS!

Go straight and keep the tall white Exploration Tower to your left. Only turn left when you see the big bright blue neon sign (on the left) for Royal Caribbean at a traffic light.

Then drive up to the terminal where someone will show you the drop off area. Drop your luggage and passengers (porters will help them) and park your vehicle in the garage above you. Then you meet up with your friends.

It gets busy between 11am and 1pm so you can either try to be early (most people opt to go early though) or wait (at nearby Grills) for the early waves to settle in before showing up!

loved Terminal 1. Parked there last week. Note: parking is $20 a day

Carol

So maybe the prepay at $15 is a discount then. BTW, how many days did you park? A three day for $60 used to be 4 days at $15 per day. Looks like $20 a day for 3 days. :o

We paid $15 per day at Port Canaveral a few weeks ago for a 3-night cruise. $15 x 4 = $60 in total.

All the off-site parking works this way too - remember you pay for 4 days of parking on a 3 night cruise.

For a 8-night cruise you will pay $15 x 9 days = $135 at the Port.

You can also look at this way - $20 per night for a 3-night cruise (as per the Port website) but it remains $60 in total. I wish they would just indicate the parking days instead of nights which confuses the issue.

Indeed, the 4 or 5 off-site parking locations such as the one listed ($8.95, etc.) are cheaper than the shipside parking at the Port ($15 per day)!

Some of the hotel parking options are even cheaper at $6 per day, or when you opt for a 40% shipside parking discount when staying at a partner hotel - meaning you only pay $9 per day instead of $15.

It is a matter of costs versus convenience! It is mighty nice at the end of a cruise (with a tired family in tow) to just walk over to your car and drive away rather than lining up in a long line waiting for the off-site parking shuttles.

Indeed, the 4 or 5 off-site parking locations such as the one listed ($8.95, etc.) are cheaper than the shipside parking at the Port ($15 per day)!

Some of the hotel parking options are even cheaper at $6 per day, or when you opt for a 40% shipside parking discount when staying at a partner hotel - meaning you only pay $9 per day instead of $15.

It is a matter of costs versus convenience! It is mighty nice at the end of a cruise (with a tired family in tow) to just walk over to your car and drive away rather than lining up in a long line waiting for the off-site parking shuttles.

I agree. We were lucky and had no line when we went to get our shuttle. We parked at the off site, because this was at the time when some of the RCCL ships were leaving from one pier and returning to a different pier. Then Royal was bringing people by bus back to the first pie,r to get their cars. So, we parked off site to get away from the mess, back then.

Edited by geocruiser