Last day on Quantum..

vyprr10

First off this is my opinion and it is not meant to refute anyone else's review. It's a beautiful ship but it's still has some growing pains. The majority of complaints are costs. For instance a piña colada on Oasis 2 months ago was $9 now on quantum $14.16. Ice cream machines only 2, one is always broken. Spa services, used to be if you had a service you could use the spa as well for remainder of day, no longer. You must purchase a $30 day pass. Beverage packages you pay 18% gratuity then have to pay gratuity again on each drink that is inclusive of package.

Have more, but will continue later.

First off this is my opinion and it is not meant to refute anyone else's review. It's a beautiful ship but it's still has some growing pains. The majority of complaints are costs. For instance a piña colada on Oasis 2 months ago was $9 now on quantum $14.16. Ice cream machines only 2, one is always broken. Spa services, used to be if you had a service you could use the spa as well for remainder of day, no longer. You must purchase a $30 day pass. Beverage packages you pay 18% gratuity then have to pay gratuity again on each drink that is inclusive of package.

First post Quantum bashing:rolleyes:

I was under the impression that when you purchased a beverage package - the gratuity was added to the whole package and did NOT have to pay an additional gratuity when getting a drink under the package?

Think OP is complaining about paying an 18% gratuity when buying a drink NOT part of the package....which makes perfect sense.

No it is with the beverage package. The receipt has 0 for the cost of the drink but then there is a charge of 18% gratuity. I spoke with the guest relations manager tonight and he did confirm that there are things done on Quantum that are not done on other Royal ships.

It is a beautiful ship and the best bargain was the unlimited internet for the week at $140. The signal was fantastic and we were able to stream Netflix, read email anywhere on the ship. There were no problems with the DD. You could get a seat even without a reservation. The rooms were beautiful and very modern with 46 inch Samsung led TV's.

The manager did say that they have learned a lot with the rollout of Quantum and that changes will be made accordingly when Anthem debuts.

No it is with the beverage package. The receipt has 0 for the cost of the drink but then there is a charge of 18% gratuity. I spoke with the guest relations manager tonight and he did confirm that there are things done on Quantum that are not done on other Royal ships.

It is a beautiful ship and the best bargain was the unlimited internet for the week at $140. The signal was fantastic and we were able to stream Netflix, read email anywhere on the ship. There were no problems with the DD. You could get a seat even without a reservation. The rooms were beautiful and very modern with 46 inch Samsung led TV's.

The manager did say that they have learned a lot with the rollout of Quantum and that changes will be made accordingly when Anthem debuts.

Do you mean to say you are charged a gratuity of 18% of the cost of each drink even though you bought a package and paid the gratuity for that?

First post Quantum bashing:rolleyes:

You know honesty is a killer, perhaps we should listen to those of us, whom have actually been on this ship. If this had been my first RCCL cruise, I would never have returned.

On CRUISE CRITIC, it is our job, to judge with a "Critical" eye, thus Quantum deserves its "Bashing", which seem to continue to this late date. :eek::p;):(

With these increased prices for cocktails, how does it affect what is covered by the premium/ultimate package? Any major differences there compared to the Oasis sailing?

I am equally confused by the drink/gratuity comment?!?

We are sailing March 1st and considering purchasing the Ultimate Drink package which I believe now includes the increased 18% gratuity. We also pre-purchased gratuities when we originally booked last year.

Is the OP stating that on top of the drink package with included gratuity of 18%, we would be paying an additional 18% on top of that per drink?? For a total of 36% per drink?!?

And the prepaid gratuities we pre purchased are for (at least my understanding is) waiters, room stewards etc.,,correct?

Clarification would be greatly appreciated lol

"No it is with the beverage package. The receipt has 0 for the cost of the drink but then there is a charge of 18% gratuity."

I am hoping that what is meant is that the receipt automatically shows 18% and that this is a new practice. I mean 18% on a $0 receipt is 0. I second the request for clarification.

You know honesty is a killer, perhaps we should listen to those of us, whom have actually been on this ship. If this had been my first RCCL cruise, I would never have returned.

On CRUISE CRITIC, it is our job, to judge with a "Critical" eye, thus Quantum deserves its "Bashing", which seem to continue to this late date. :eek::p;):(

Just funny that OP has been on the Oasis but and NEVER posted anything:roll eyes: Saves first post for bashing:rolleyes:

"No it is with the beverage package. The receipt has 0 for the cost of the drink but then there is a charge of 18% gratuity."

I am hoping that what is meant is that the receipt automatically shows 18% and that this is a new practice. I mean 18% on a $0 receipt is 0. I second the request for clarification.

Can we say.....BINGO

I was worried if I had to pay an extra 18% per drink. I found on the RC web site that it is included.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=5477&faqSubjectId=336

Q: Are gratuities included in the all-inclusive beverage packages purchase price? s.gif

A: A service charge of 18% has already been included in the purchase price. You will not have to pay additional gratuities unless you desire to do so.

Edited by RCfuncruiser10

For the drink to increase from $9 to $14.16, I would think that there was a souvenir glass or something else involved that the OP didn't realize.

I think you may be right because when I was speaking with a fellow Pax he mentioned a pina colada in the $10 range.

For clarification Re: drink packages/gratuities.....

I just got of the phone with RCC about this.

When purchasing the drink package you pay the cost which includes the 18% gratuities. After that you are charged nothing above and beyond in regards to gratuities that is not included in your package of choice. As stated earlier the paper receipt will show the gratuity included but that just means it's already inclusive (with the package) and showing that as proof. Like another poster said 18% on a $0 bill is still $0 :)

We are probably going to purchase the Ultimate package and the gratuities will be included overall with no extra charge for anything, since this package covers pretty much anything and everything.

Now my mind is a bit more at ease:)

Baje

It amazes me that when one expresses an opinion it is considered bashing. I appreciate the clarification from the other poster who did call RCL regarding the gratuities. Is this my first post? Absolutely! But I fail to see the significance of that. I have been on many RCL cruises and I felt that the things I previously stated were different from other ships. So much so that the guest relations personnel on Quantum concurred with my assessment. I have found these forums extremely helpful when contemplating different cruises and I thought it my be useful to give MY OPINION to assist others. Bashing seems to be a strong word to utilize in this instance.

Baje

It amazes me that when one expresses an opinion it is considered bashing. I appreciate the clarification from the other poster who did call RCL regarding the gratuities. Is this my first post? Absolutely! But I fail to see the significance of that. I have been on many RCL cruises and I felt that the things I previously stated were different from other ships. So much so that the guest relations personnel on Quantum concurred with my assessment. I have found these forums extremely helpful when contemplating different cruises and I thought it my be useful to give MY OPINION to assist others. Bashing seems to be a strong word to utilize in this instance.

Your "bashing" was worth 4 posts to him. Now that's amazing:)

Sitting on Quantum right now. I am a Patron drinker...in reference to prices being higher than on other ships... as far as Patron...nope...$8.70 WITH gratuity...in-line with the other Royal ships.

Also...while not included as part of the drink packages ...the Mini-bars in the cabins are now stocked with liquor ...thats new.

Edited by bajathree