Cell Service on Dawn

suzannety

I know being disconnected is the idea on a cruise, but we own our own business so being totally shut out is scary for us. I called AT&T and they said that there is no program with them to use on the Dawn. If we pay a fee can we be connected with our phones or is that only in the Internet Cafe via computer? Sorry to be a dunce about this. The last time we cruised was in '08 and we didn't miss being connected, but now it isn't an option.

Here is the link to AT&T Maritime roaming info:

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=54282&cv=820

Looks like NCL is considered a "non-qualifying" ship and you would have to pay pay-per-use fees which are:

Pay-per-use rates apply without the package and when traveling on non-qualifying cruise ships:

Calling: $2.50/minute

Messages Sent: $0.50/text and $1.30/picture or video

Data: $0.0195/KB ($19.97/MB)

:eek:

Is this mostly/all for voice calls and SMS/texting? Or, do you need slow 2G/slow DSL access speed for data (very expensive on a per minute basis) ??

Which sailing & ports - Bermuda or Caribbean islands ?

Edited by mking8288

Not sure if this will keep you connected enough. We have AT&T and when we sail, I forward calls to my DD, turn off wireless and data. Now I have dumb phone, but it will receive FREE texts and cost only .50 to text out. Should I get an important call (elderly parent) my DD gets the call, and can text me with any info, and I can always call then if needed. Thank g-d we never had a horrible problem that couldn't be handled with texts.

If we put our phones on airplane mode can we at least text each other (dh and myself)? If we find ourselves on different parts of the ship?

Airplane mode turns off the cellular and wifi radios. So, you can not even text the person standing across the room from you. And, when you do turn it on, that text actually goes all the way back to the states into the carrier's system. Then it comes back again via the satellite to the ship. Texts do not go from phone to phone, though it looks like it might.

Edited by garycarla

What we've done in the past is to forward all our calls to a Google Voice account and then check that using the internet on the ship. If anyone leaves a voicemail, it tries to transcribe it, but you can also listen to the audio over the computer.

Kurt

As business owners we too are concerned about keeping in touch. This last cruise we signed up for AT&T passport. There are different levels but $60 dollars gave us a discount on calls made and received while in port. While under way, it is considered roaming. We also budget for the added expense. It's just part of cost of doing business. Check with AT&T or on their website.