Roll Calls

bobbisailsolo

Having been quoted and mentioned a few times recently, I think I should post.

I was initially trying to respond to the original post that I thought was questioning why some roll calls aren't very active. So I brought up that I was kind of quiet on my roll call because I couldn't relate to what was being discussed.

I certainly understand that people who know each other and realize they're going to be on a cruise together would exchange personal posts. I would do that too.

I admit, maybe I went a little farther than I should have by using the "c" word.

I apologize if anyone interpreted it that I thought that was the situation on our roll call. Overall, that roll call has been very welcoming.

I recall one roll call where, as Rachel and Lizzie mentioned, there were some folks who were posting entirely too much chatter for my taste. I don't mind people noting that they sailed together in the past, but when it becomes a private, ongoing conversation it can feel unwelcoming. It felt like I was reading private emails or posts on a social networking site on that roll call.

The roll call's purpose, IMO, is for introducing yourself, asking and answering pertinent questions about the cruise, and planning what to do in ports. A bit of off topic banter is okay, but too much interpersonal stuff between several posters means I stop looking at that roll call as often.

Edited by Nanner

I recall one roll call where, as Rachel and Lizzie mentioned, there were some folks who were posting entirely too much chatter for my taste. I don't mind people noting that they sailed together in the past, but when it becomes a private, ongoing conversation it can feel unwelcoming. It felt like I was reading private emails or posts on a social networking site on that roll call.

The roll call's purpose, IMO, is for introducing yourself, asking and answering pertinent questions about the cruise, and planning what to do in ports. A bit of off topic banter is okay, but too much interpersonal stuff between several posters means I stop looking at that roll call as often.

The best way to deal with that aspect is to jump right in with a general interest post. Unlike real live conversations, it's totally appropriate to post something associated with the cruise.

For example in one roll call thread for a sailing we're on this fall, a few folks got into discussing the cold wave in the northeast and a few others in the same town got together for lunch, right in the middle of posts discussing shore excursions. Staying on track with a roll call can be an interesting experience.