Roll Calls

bobbisailsolo

<snip>

Ruth just nailed it. My #1 complaint. Lots of tour arranging, but absolutely no interest in getting to know anyone. Personally I need some chatting. Otherwise I have little interest in attending the M&G.

<snip>

Besides, many of the people who won't chat with strangers are perfectly willing to book a tour, and go off for a day, with those same strangers. That's not any safer than chatting.

I can't imagine people don't want to get to know at least a little about their roll call participants but will make plans to spend a full or half day with them on a shared tour. It feels like they find CC/ Roll Calls just to use others for their purpose and give nothing in return including a smattering of social interaction. Why would anyone want to tour with them? :confused: Isn't that the description of a 'user and taker'?

I can't imagine people don't want to get to know at least a little about their roll call participants but will make plans to spend a full or half day with them on a shared tour. It feels like they find CC/ Roll Calls just to use others for their purpose and give nothing in return including a smattering of social interaction. Why would anyone want to tour with them? :confused: Isn't that the description of a 'user and taker'?

You hit the nail on the head and that is why I will not organize a M&G again and I will only join a roll call if it active. The last Mediterranean Roll Call that I started really disappointed me.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri

I think there is something to what you say. I recently went to join a Roll Call for a cruise and found that there was a self-appointed Organizer who had enlisted a Volunteer Assistant. They requested that anyone wishing to join the M & G provide them with full, legal name, place of residence, occupation (or previous occupation, if retired), hobbies and interests and cabin number.

Apparently, the cabin number is necessary so they can leave flyers and phone messages about the CC events they are planning (pub crawl, cabin crawl, slot pull, CC lunch, CC cocktail time, etc).

They also request a photo be sent by e-mail so they can include that in the photo book, which will be sent 'round to others on the Roll Call, allowing them to study and then recognize other CC members on board.

Nowhere do they state that any of this is mandatory, but the feeling I get (right or wrong) is that you need to get with their program or you will be persona non grata.

I only wanted to attend the M & G and find the requests for information and a photo intrusive. Further, as a single women traveling alone, I am not inclined to provide private information via e-mail to someone I have never met as I have no idea where and how the info will be used.

I am a CC member, but will not be joining this particular Roll Call.

Oh my this post hits home. We were booked on a lengthy O cruise and the self appointed boss of the cruise demanded this kind of info, including the pictures which we did not send. If I'm joining another persons private tour I am happy to share my info privately but I don't want it widely circulated.

Well, whenever I start a roll call I always acknowledge a newcomer and welcome them. The problem with the last few roll calls is that they post once or twice and never come back until the last minute, if ever.

I have no doubt that you do. :) I have seen this before too, one-time posters until the last minute, if at all.

I sometimes wonder what people expect. As I said previously. Most of the roll call participants, especially for European cruises are not regular HAL posters. On the Med roll call I started last year I only recognized one HAL regular, who posted infrequently on the roll call. The rest joined in the last two months looking for inexpensive tours.

Again, I have seen this often too.

As fate would have it, I had to cancel the cruise at the last minute due to my husband needing emergency surgery in Rome and never got to meet these people anyway. I organized the M&G, prepared invitations, but have no idea how it went.

Terri

I don't understand it either, Sail. I completely agree.

I can't explain the high activity on my 5 day coastal cruise, though. With only two ports, there weren't many shorex to arrange. I guess we were just a bunch of people who liked to chat!!:D

Heh. We were a chatty bunch, huh? And Carolyn (Cruising-along) held her end of the conversation, as I recall. Good M&G too. Life is too short to not venture forth and check out with whom we cruise. :)

Heh. We were a chatty bunch, huh? And Carolyn (Cruising-along) held her end of the conversation, as I recall. Good M&G too. Life is too short to not venture forth and check out with whom we cruise. :)

:p:p

It was a great cruise, and wonderful roll call! Would love to do it again some day and see you all again.

I have an upcoming cruise and am on the roll call, and feel a little intimidated. It seems that a few people have cruised together before and are all chatty about their prior experiences and how they hope so-and-so is the cruise director again and hope that so-and-so is the hotel manager. And maybe we should all get together and play trivia again we were such a great team.

I just can't relate to any of it so I remain silent.

Do you think that people might be uneasy about disclosing too much on line? I know with some of my land trips, I've been reluctant to say too much on Trip Advisor because you just don't know who is reading the threads. Just as they say, don't put details on facebook. Just a passing thought.

Exactly right.

No one should ever feel pressured into disclosing any personal information in any roll call or by private email to an M&G organizer.

As a reminder, please note what our guidelines say about roll calls:

Roll Calls Cruise Critic's ROLL CALLS are one of the most popular features within our community. In an effort to keep them fair and as safe as possible, the following is in effect:

- Roll Calls belong to everyone; there is no designated leader or owner. It doesn't matter who started the thread.

- On the other hand, if you are new to a Roll Call take the time to read the thread. Learn who is doing what, who made plans for an event, etc. before jumping in and making different plans

- If you plan an event, be sure to invite everyone!

- Please adhere to cruise line requests regarding setting up Meet & Greets on board. In other words, if they say contact us three (or two or whatever) weeks prior to sailing, don't contact them months in advance.

- ROLL CALLS are for people to get to know one another before their cruise; therefore, there will be all kinds of discussion!

SHORE EXCURSIONS

- Sharing shore excursions is fun and can help you save money.

- Get to know the other members in a Roll Call before attempting to get them to tour with you.

- Shore excursions should be arranged so that payment is made directly to the tour operator, do not be the collector of funds for a shore excursion.

- Do not arrange any shore excursions/tours if you are not going to be taking them yourself. In other words NO THIRD-PARTY arrangement of shore excursions are allowed. This includes people who are not participating on the Cruise Critic ROLL CALL *for whatever reason*.

- Travel agents may not arrange shore excursions on ROLL CALLS.

- Anyone attempting to "fill a bus" or making money from the sharing of shore excursions on our forums runs the risk of losing their membership.

- Do not post your email address so that someone can email you information about a shore excursion. If they have important info, they should be willing and able to post this information on the forum. We will remove posts, at our discretion, that are nothing more than requests for emails OR posts providing email addresses.

- Do NOT arrange to collect funds for shore excursion shares at any Meet & Mingle or Meet & Greet so graciously provided by the cruise lines. In the case of Princess Cruises, they have stated you cannot solicit other passengers for any reason once you have booked your cruise. If they observe you arranging tours on board, you run the risk of being asked to debark your cruise at the next port (verified via Princess Cruises March 2013)

I have an upcoming cruise and am on the roll call, and feel a little intimidated. It seems that a few people have cruised together before and are all chatty about their prior experiences and how they hope so-and-so is the cruise director again and hope that so-and-so is the hotel manager. And maybe we should all get together and play trivia again we were such a great team.

I am not a lifetime HAL cruiser, so I do not have much experience with Roll Calls. However, the Roll Call for my Maasdam TA was extraordinarily active. Although many pax had cruised together multiple times, I found most willing to graciously include me in their activities aboard and ashore. Thanks to the Roll Call participants, it was my best cruise EVER!

I am not a lifetime HAL cruiser, so I do not have much experience with Roll Calls. However, the Roll Call for my Maasdam TA was extraordinarily active. Although many pax had cruised together multiple times, I found most willing to graciously include me in their activities aboard and ashore. Thanks to the Roll Call participants, it was my best cruise EVER!

Thank you. I will show up at the meet and greet and see how things go.

But my point was that I'm not posting a lot in the roll call for my cruise because it seems like there's already a "clique." I know I'm not part of it and don't have anything to contribute to that conversation.

Thank you. I will show up at the meet and greet and see how things go.

But my point was that I'm not posting a lot in the roll call for my cruise because it seems like there's already a "clique." I know I'm not part of it and don't have anything to contribute to that conversation.

That is hard when that happens. I was on a roll call like that once and the clique dominated.

Try to keep posting and hopefully someone will notice you and start answering.

That should not happen but it does when a bunch of friends sail together.

The roll call is for everyone and should not be exclusive and for private conversations.

Terri

That is hard when that happens. I was on a roll call like that once and the clique dominated.

Try to keep posting and hopefully someone will notice you and start answering.

That should not happen but it does when a bunch of friends sail together.

The roll call is for everyone and should not be exclusive and for private conversations.

Terri

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate your kindness.

But I'm used to cliques and have no desire to be involved with them. They probably don't even realize how their posts seem to "outsiders."

I certainly won't "keep posting and hopefully someone will notice you and start answering." I'm not that needy of attention.

I just thought I could contribute on this thread by letting some people know why some of us don't post a lot to roll call threads. When they become an old homecoming party, those of us who aren't involved in the homecoming might be a little turned off.

How much do people who take the ship's excursions know about the people they will be touring with? I have been with some jerks on private tours and some jerks on ship's tours.

We're talking a tour that may last a few hours. It's not a marriage. ;)

Edited by hrhdhd

I just thought I could contribute on this thread by letting some people know why some of us don't post a lot to roll call threads. When they become an old homecoming party, those of us who aren't involved in the homecoming might be a little turned off.

Funny, I feel the same way about the main HAL board. :)

I hope you have a great cruise.

How much do people who take the ship's excursions know about the people they will be touring with? I have been with some jerks on private tours and some jerks on ship's tours.

We're talking a tour that may last a few hours. It's not a marriage. ;)

Speaking only for myself, but there's a difference. When you agree to take a private tour with others, the cost usually depends on the number of people who sign up. And you pay the day of the tour, not ahead. What if someone doesn't show up? If someone just posts once on a roll call "please add me to your tour" how does anyone know what this person is like? I'm just not inclined to trust my day in port to depending on strangers to follow through, and if they don't, scramble to make adjustments to my day. JMO. :)

Speaking only for myself, but there's a difference. When you agree to take a private tour with others, the cost usually depends on the number of people who sign up. And you pay the day of the tour, not ahead. What if someone doesn't show up?

That can be a problem. Of course, we've had ship's tours canceled, too, even when we book ahead of time, because not enough people sign up. And absorbing the cost for a no-show on a private tour may still mean the tour is more cost-effective than the ship's.

If someone just posts once on a roll call "please add me to your tour" how does anyone know what this person is like? I'm just not inclined to trust my day in port to depending on strangers to follow through, and if they don't, scramble to make adjustments to my day. JMO.

You don't know. Just like on a ship's tour. Speaking of depending on strangers, they can also be late, shop too long, wander off, and spend the time kvetching about something--on a ship's tour.

Both situations are a crap shoot. Both can turn out well, and both can stink.

You don't know. Just like on a ship's tour. Speaking of depending on strangers, they can also be late, shop too long, wander off, and spend the time kvetching about something--on a ship's tour.

When you're in a van with 6, 8, 10 people it's a lot harder to ignore jerks than on a full tour bus. They are right there, and you can't help but hear them.

When the ever-late returnees come back to a full tour bus, they frequently get a rousing Bronx Cheer, and learn their lesson. Not as easy to pull off when there's only a few of you.

When I run a tour I want more than for the person to just say include me in the tour. I want to know who they are. I ask them to email me with their information (full name and cabin number) in the event there are changes. I also let them know how and when payment will take place so that there are no surprises at the end and no one gets stuck with a bill.

If they do not agree to that, then I will not include them on the tour. This is just basic stuff. It does not get shared with the entire roll call, but it is common sense. I also give them my information in the event they need to contact me.

Terri

When you're in a van with 6, 8, 10 people it's a lot harder to ignore jerks than on a full tour bus. They are right there, and you can't help but hear them.

Or in our case, we didn't hear from the jerks, as they chose to ignore us. We've been on two private tours-one was only 4 of us, the other was a family of 4 plus 2 of us. We joined them strictly for transportation from/to port to town and the sightseeing was on our own. We had no problem carrying on a conversation with each respective partner and the kids.

Oh well, their loss. We enjoyed our time in each place.

Have to say we enjoyed the company on most private tours and still keep in touch with a few of the cruisers we met.

We mostly always do private tours with people whom we have met on cruise critic. We've really never had a problem with any of the participants and have cultivated some continuing friendships. Maybe we've been extremely lucky.

Some roll calls are more active than others, obviously.

Some meet n greets are better than others.

I think they call it " life"

I'm always just happy and grateful that I'm on a cruise. It's all good.

Helaine

When the ever-late returnees come back to a full tour bus, they frequently get a rousing Bronx Cheer, and learn their lesson. Not as easy to pull off when there's only a few of you.

Maybe I have been lucky, Ruth, but so far I have only met one jerk on all the private tours I have taken. All the rest were really nice people that adhered to the meeting time and were friendly.

I will still do private tours over ship tours any day and take my chances. I think if everyone knows the rules of the game ahead of time you are less likely to run into difficulty.

Terri

I will still do private tours over ship tours any day and take my chances. I think if everyone knows the rules of the game ahead of time you are less likely to run into difficulty.

Terri

I would prefer to do private tours, but I'm not willing to go off with people I don't feel I know, at least a little bit. If they post on the HAL forum I get some sense of who they are; same is true if they post a bit to a roll call before a tour is put together.

But to have someone I don't know post a private tour, and several others I don't know sign up---I don't want to get into that. The comfort level is just not there.

And let's not even get in to those putting a tour together on the Noah's Ark basis---looking for couples, and individuals throw the count off, so aren't made to feel welcome. :rolleyes:

<snip>

One thing that irritates me about Roll Calls: if a person starts one and then changes their plans and cancels that particular cruise, it would be polite to return to the Roll Call and so inform the others who are participating.

Totally agree.

When I run a tour I want more than for the person to just say include me in the tour. I want to know who they are. I ask them to email me with their information (full name and cabin number) in the event there are changes. I also let them know how and when payment will take place so that there are no surprises at the end and no one gets stuck with a bill.

If they do not agree to that, then I will not include them on the tour. This is just basic stuff. It does not get shared with the entire roll call, but it is common sense. I also give them my information in the event they need to contact me.

Terri

It's not just basic stuff Terri, it's good practice:D

that would put me off as well, as does the "how many cruises have you been on" conversations. But I do like to chat with people prior to boarding... and going on tours with others... as a solo....

I do remember thou one tour i joined.. they were all friends it seems, and no one said one word to me. I was just there to fill a space I guess. But others, we had wonderful times...On my med cruise, several of us got together for a private athens tour. One of the gentlemen had parkinsons, but his goal was to climb the acropolis. We all helped him out. It was wonderful!