Roll Calls

bobbisailsolo

I haven't cruised for a while, but looking at the roll calls, it doesn't seem like people are participating the way they used to. I remember when we did a Med cruise several years ago, we had a huge list of participants, arranged some great tours and had a successful meet and greet. It seems like only the really long cruises get any participation. Has anyone else noticed this trend?

Two roll calls in which I participated last year were very active. One cruise was 14 days (Alaska) and the other (Pacific Coastal) was only 5 days. My upcoming cruise of 15 days (Canada/NE) is somewhat active but we have a couple of groups on it which may explain the lower activity level.

I think it mostly depends on where one is cruising. In the Med, the ship shorex are quite expensive and one can get smaller, and better tours by coordinating with others through the roll call.

I can't explain the high activity on my 5 day coastal cruise, though. With only two ports, there weren't many shorex to arrange. I guess we were just a bunch of people who liked to chat!!:D

I have found the same as NMLady, it just depends on the people on a given cruise.

I have been on two roll calls for over a year, and there has been just about no activity. Oh, there's lots of people who have posted, but they have only asked about getting together for tours, and once that's done, they never posted again. They have shown no interest in getting to know anyone on the roll call.

I've started following another roll call for a cruise I'm on later this year. That one is very active with people chatting and getting to know each other. They are arranging tours, too, but are making the roll call so much more than just that.

Sometimes you get a good group; sometimes you don't.

Two roll calls in which I participated last year were very active. One cruise was 14 days (Alaska) and the other (Pacific Coastal) was only 5 days. My upcoming cruise of 15 days (Canada/NE) is somewhat active but we have a couple of groups on it which may explain the lower activity level.

I think it mostly depends on where one is cruising. In the Med, the ship shorex are quite expensive and one can get smaller, and better tours by coordinating with others through the roll call.

I can't explain the high activity on my 5 day coastal cruise, though. With only two ports, there weren't many shorex to arrange. I guess we were just a bunch of people who liked to chat!!:D

Hi AQ! That was a great roll call, wasn't it. Hope to see you again on a future cruise! :D

I have found the same as NMLady, it just depends on the people on a given cruise.

I have been on two roll calls for over a year, and there has been just about no activity. Oh, there's lots of people who have posted, but they have only asked about getting together for tours, and once that's done, they never posted again. They have shown no interest in getting to know anyone on the roll call.

I've started following another roll call for a cruise I'm on later this year. That one is very active with people chatting and getting to know each other. They are arranging tours, too, but are making the roll call so much more than just that.

Sometimes you get a good group; sometimes you don't.

Ruth just nailed it. My #1 complaint. Lots of tour arranging, but absolutely no interest in getting to know anyone. Personally I need some chatting. Otherwise I have little interest in attending the M&G.

I have been lucky enough to be on four roll calls that were not only very active but a lot of fun. Since I cruise solo, knowing people in advance is a real bonus.

If you have never joined a roll call, try it. You don't have to join any activities onboard if you choose not to, so you really have nothing to lose.

I agree that it does depend upon those people who are cruising. Some people seem to be more social and interested in sharing their interests and knowledge with others; some don't.

I participated in two Roll Calls for my January cruise. Both were fairly active and there were folks posting that seemed to be interesting people.

For the first Roll Call's M&G, no one showed up but me. For the second Roll Call's M&G, it did take place and was a very pleasant get together as we sailed from Port Everglades.

One thing that irritates me about Roll Calls: if a person starts one and then changes their plans and cancels that particular cruise, it would be polite to return to the Roll Call and so inform the others who are participating.

I agree that it does depend upon those people who are cruising. Some people seem to be more social and interested in sharing their interests and knowledge with others; some don't.

I participated in two Roll Calls for my January cruise. Both were fairly active and there were folks posting that seemed to be interesting people.

For the first Roll Call's M&G, no one showed up but me. For the second Roll Call's M&G, it did take place and was a very pleasant get together as we sailed from Port Everglades.

One thing that irritates me about Roll Calls: if a person starts one and then changes their plans and cancels that particular cruise, it would be polite to return to the Roll Call and so inform the others who are participating.

I have found that M&Gs held at the sail-away often have alot of no shows - people just get too involved in other first day events and do not make it. M&Gs held on the first sea day usually have a much better turnout.

I have found that M&Gs held at the sail-away often have alot of no shows - people just get too involved in other first day events and do not make it. M&Gs held on the first sea day usually have a much better turnout.

Your experience mirrors mine. But, on these two cruises, it was a reverse. Roll Call #1 was on the first sea day: one attendee(me); Roll Call #2 was immedediately after Muster Drill at the Seaview Bar/Pool area and was well attended. It lasted until we were quite some distance from the port; cool winds caused the gathering to break up.

As a Host on this and some other cruise line boards, I've had the same question and developed my own answers.

The most common situation are those "one time" cruise itineraries (just happen a few times a year if at all) like transAtlantics where a few folks are repeaters and the chats start very early.

The prototypical 7 day Caribbean itineraries usually attract more people that are new to cruising and who are not even aware of the existence of Cruise Critic (how can that be????:confused:), and many of those are booking only a few weeks before sailing.

Another factor is the very early start of some roll calls. When considering what cruise to book, increasingly more people will check the roll calls to see who's booked on what cruises. If there's no roll call they may book anyway and skip starting a roll call or just browse for another cruise.

As rkacruiser said, it's also a function of personalities. If just two outgoing people start chatting through a roll call it can become active just because it's always near the top.

Then, of course, on smaller ships with fewer passengers, such as Prinsendam, there are fewer people.

In one case we're on a TA (on another cruise line) where the roll call started almost 2 years ahead of sailing date and today, still 7 months ahead, the roll call is way over 100 pages long.

Two of the best Roll Calls I have been on were on the Prinsendam. Lots if participation. Activities, private tours etc. I see there are a couple of very active Roll Calls right now - Oosterdam and the Westerdam. On our O cruise more then 125 CC members gave signed up for 2 Meet and Greets. We have been socializing on line for over a year - I am looking forward to meeting my new friends in person - soon.

I have been lucky enough to be on four roll calls that were not only very active but a lot of fun. Since I cruise solo, knowing people in advance is a real bonus.

If you have never joined a roll call, try it. You don't have to join any activities onboard if you choose not to, so you really have nothing to lose.

I too cruise solo. And it can be nice to have some friends when you board. Plus , i do like to participate in private tours which is very difficult and costly to do as a single.

Do you think that people might be uneasy about disclosing too much on line? I know with some of my land trips, I've been reluctant to say too much on Trip Advisor because you just don't know who is reading the threads. Just as they say, don't put details on facebook. Just a passing thought.

Do you think that people might be uneasy about disclosing too much on line? I know with some of my land trips, I've been reluctant to say too much on Trip Advisor because you just don't know who is reading the threads. Just as they say, don't put details on facebook. Just a passing thought.

I doubt that would have much, if anything, to do with it. We're not using real names here, and don't have to reveal much, if anything, about our home location.

Many people who post on this forum have revealed a lot more than I have seen revealed on roll call threads. After all, talking about what you like, or other places you have visited, isn't all that revealing.

Besides, many of the people who won't chat with strangers are perfectly willing to book a tour, and go off for a day, with those same strangers. That's not any safer than chatting.

Hi Bobbi, yes I think people are careful what they post on CC but if I've joined a private tour I share all my info with the other participants, via private email.

Another application I avoid is Foursquare but there is a way to limit who can view your check ins. I worry the hackers can get in.

Edited by sammiedawg

I think there is something to what you say. I recently went to join a Roll Call for a cruise and found that there was a self-appointed Organizer who had enlisted a Volunteer Assistant. They requested that anyone wishing to join the M & G provide them with full, legal name, place of residence, occupation (or previous occupation, if retired), hobbies and interests and cabin number.

Apparently, the cabin number is necessary so they can leave flyers and phone messages about the CC events they are planning (pub crawl, cabin crawl, slot pull, CC lunch, CC cocktail time, etc).

They also request a photo be sent by e-mail so they can include that in the photo book, which will be sent 'round to others on the Roll Call, allowing them to study and then recognize other CC members on board.

Nowhere do they state that any of this is mandatory, but the feeling I get (right or wrong) is that you need to get with their program or you will be persona non grata.

I only wanted to attend the M & G and find the requests for information and a photo intrusive. Further, as a single women traveling alone, I am not inclined to provide private information via e-mail to someone I have never met as I have no idea where and how the info will be used.

I am a CC member, but will not be joining this particular Roll Call.

I think there is something to what you say. I recently went to join a Roll Call for a cruise and found that there was a self-appointed Organizer who had enlisted a Volunteer Assistant. They requested that anyone wishing to join the M & G provide them with full, legal name, place of residence, occupation (or previous occupation, if retired), hobbies and interests and cabin number.

Apparently, the cabin number is necessary so they can leave flyers and phone messages about the CC events they are planning (pub crawl, cabin crawl, slot pull, CC lunch, CC cocktail time, etc).

They also request a photo be sent by e-mail so they can include that in the photo book, which will be sent 'round to others on the Roll Call, allowing them to study and then recognize other CC members on board.

Nowhere do they state that any of this is mandatory, but the feeling I get (right or wrong) is that you need to get with their program or you will be persona non grata.

I only wanted to attend the M & G and find the requests for information and a photo intrusive. Further, as a single women traveling alone, I am not inclined to provide private information via e-mail to someone I have never met as I have no idea where and how the info will be used.

That's crazy! How do you know these people are even on the cruise!!!!

I, myself would probably start a new roll call, if thats allowed, for those who dont want to share so much personal info with strangers. Im sure there are other who feel the same way you do.

I do not blame you! This does seem to be a bit much to me.

One thing - you can register for the Meet & Greet just using your CC name and as much information as you are comfortable with sharing (this happens all the time on roll call meet and greets). Then just show up for it at the appointed time (some folks will never bother to register and just show up - which is fine to me).

One of the problems with the M & Gs is that people come out of the woodwork looking for inexpensive tours. They never heard of CC before (perhaps the TA may have told them about it). They have no interest in becoming friends. You never see or hear from them again. They have no interest in CC except for booking inexpensive tours.

This becomes very frustrating. I, for one, am rethinking starting any more roll calls. They are not your regular CC posters for the most part. They also wait until the last minute and then are in a frenzy because the ship tours are very expensive and they want the roll call organizer to put tours together for them. I like to plan ahead. Last year I posted tours I put together and ultimately cancelled every one of them because of lack of interest. About a month before the cruise a bunch of people joined the roll call and started contacting me and were angry I had nothing to offer them. I had to explain that they could research and organize their own tours and post them. They wanted none of thet. Wanted everything done for them--just show up. No interest in becoming friends or chatting. Believe me, I tried.

I'm just happy booking my own stuff now and keeping a low profile. If there is an active roll call, I will join it, but I am not going to start one and talk to myself for months anymore.

As for putting a photo book together, I think this seems to be a practice on the longer Grand Voyages such as the World Cruise and the Grand South America and Grand Asia.

Terri

I guess I don't see chatting and organizing private tours as mutually exclusive things. People chat on the roll call, find out they have some interests, and then plan a tour that suits them. (Yes, some of the examples posted here are over the line; people who plan shouldn't be hounded, and everyone could plan a tour or two as well as join existing ones.)

I join to chat with the people I'll be cruising with so I'll know a few faces, and occasionally I'll organize or join a private tour or a pre-cruise get-together. I don't join a roll call to find friends or expect to become life-long friends with anyone; if that happens, great, but to me it's not the point of a roll call.

I am not expecting to become life-long friends with those I meet on a roll call, although I still keep in touch with a few and have cruise with some a number of times again.

However, it is nice when the roll call is not only about planning tours and becomes a place where people help each other plan and get to know each other a bit.

This has happened on a number of roll calls and it certainly makes for a better M&G and a lot more fun on the tours that roll call members have organized.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri

I am not expecting to become life-long friends with those I meet on a roll call, although I still keep in touch with a few and have cruise with some a number of times again.

However, it is nice when the roll call is not only about planning tours and becomes a place where people help each other plan and get to know each other a bit.

This has happened on a number of roll calls and it certainly makes for a better M&G and a lot more fun on the tours that roll call members have organized.

Terri

I feel the same way. And I have no desire to join a private excursion with people who don't even bother to chat (get to know) others on the roll call. I'm not looking for life-long friends either, I have plenty. But I also am not interested in spending hours or days with total strangers.

My first clue that a roll call isn't going the direction I like is when the OP (or anybody) never acknowledges, much less welcomes, new posters. Second is when posters ask questions and nobody bothers to answer... unfortunately my last two roll calls have been exactly like this. :(

I feel the same way. And I have no desire to join a private excursion with people who don't even bother to chat (get to know) others on the roll call. I'm not looking for life-long friends either, I have plenty. But I also am not interested in spending hours or days with total strangers.

My first clue that a roll call isn't going the direction I like is when the OP (or anybody) never acknowledges, much less welcomes, new posters. Second is when posters ask questions and nobody bothers to answer... unfortunately my last two roll calls have been exactly like this. :(

Well, whenever I start a roll call I always acknowledge a newcomer and welcome them. The problem with the last few roll calls is that they post once or twice and never come back until the last minute, if ever.

I sometimes wonder what people expect. As I said previously. Most of the roll call participants, especially for European cruises are not regular HAL posters. On the Med roll call I started last year I only recognized one HAL regular, who posted infrequently on the roll call. The rest joined in the last two months looking for inexpensive tours.

As fate would have it, I had to cancel the cruise at the last minute due to my husband needing emergency surgery in Rome and never got to meet these people anyway. I organized the M&G, prepared invitations, but have no idea how it went.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri