Istanbul tram transit times

Doing Istanbul on our own and trying to figure out how much we can do. Have to factor in time getting to and from the ship and was wondering how long does the tram take? Say from the Tophane stop (since that's the middle one of the 3 that are usually mentioned for the cruise ships) to the Sultanahmet stop?

How about from the Eminonu or Sirkeci stop (by the Spice Market) back into port?

We have to get lira from the ATM and our tram tokens, so I guess that would add a little bit more time in too.

No more than 20 minutes between the stops you mentioned. Less than 5 minutes at the ATM, 1 minute to get tokens.

Check http://www.istanbultrails.com/2008/06/overview-of-closing-days-and-opening-hours-in-istanbul/ and check their listings of religious holidays, to see what days and times your desired attractions are open. For example, Topkapi is closed Tuesday, and until 12:00 the first day of religious holidays. These will be the limiting factors, not the tram times.

Not that I think this will make much difference, but I've read that cruise ships are now docking a little farther north than Tophane, so I would guess you're likely going to be closer to the tram stop above Tophane.

Here's a website that you can check later to see when the mosques are closed for services: Check prayer times here: http://www.namazvakti.com/Main.php?WSLanguage=EN

Hope that link doesn't duplicate what's in the previous one Coral Reef provided.

In the link I provided, put the month you'll be visiting Istanbul to see when the mosques will be closed for prayer. Times will appear at the left.

Thanks - I had already found this and the prayer times for the day we are visiting.

First you walk out of the terminal….. 3 minutes unless you walk really slow.

Then find an ATM - they are EVERYWHERE so pretty quick.

Then walk to the nearest tram stop. That depends on where you dock…..

Once on the tram (they run regularly) it took us 8 minutes to get to Sultenhamet stop. Yep - 8 minutes.

We have used the tram on both of our trips to Istanbul. Will use it again in early May :D

• 3 months later...

Then walk to the nearest tram stop. That depends on where you dock…..

I just read that not all the tram stops have token machines and recommendation is to go to the Tophane stop as there is no machine at the Finkilki stop.

Is this no longer accurate?

We were just there early May (2015) for our 4th (2009, 2009, 2011) visit to Istanbul via cruiseship. We have used the tram every time. Now - They are working on the dock area ……. it is all fenced off except ONE exit. Depending on when you go and if they are still working on it and depending on where you dock it could be a long walk just to get to the exit. Ours was ! There were 2 large ships (NCL and Seaborn) and one Windstar ship in port with us (Celebrity)

To get out of the exit they were using a card reader on the turnstiles and it was not working properly……then they pulled out hand held ones (think of the ones at Walmart or the grocery to scan big items) and they were not working well either. Many many of the cards (Seapass) would not scan. IT WAS A MESS.

My husband, son and daughter in law all went thru but mine did not. Long story short I got thru after about 20 minutes……. I told the whole story on another thread. There were LOTS of really mad people. Tour buses waiting on people to get thru, those doing DIY trying to get through etc etc…. One mother in line with me was frantic….her two teenage sons went through and then she couldn't. They wouldn't let the boys back in the way they went out. BIG MESS.

Walk out the exit, ATm's are all over. We found jeton machines at the Findikli stop. There are machines at every stop…… maybe not right at the turnstile area. And yes you can buy as many as you want. We always buy 2 each…..one to get into town and one to get back. They used to look like coins but now they make them yellow or red so you don't try to spend them :eek: like I did …LOL One shop owner looked at me so funny when I pulled out some coins and handed him a jeton token !

ONE WORD OF ADVICE: make sure when coming back to the ship to get on the tram with KABATAS on the front banner. *one of the trams does not go all the way to the dock area but stops at the last stop before the Galata bridge and then goes back the other way. Funny story with that one…… ;)

It is really so easy to do this……. I know it seems a bit daunting your first time but there are so many other cruisers doing this now ….. just follow them :D (that is what we did using the metro in Athens our first visit and that was a lot harder than the tram in Istanbul) !