New Timeline & Passports for Kids

cakolb

I just read that the gov't has pushed the passport requirement to Dec 31, 2006. I have also read the forums on the pros and cons. Here is my dilema. Our cruise is Carnival Victory 1/1/06. I have no problem getting passports for my husband & me. The kids are another story since this cruise (our 1st) is a surprise Christmas present for them, and they won't know anything about is until 1 week before we leave. I would rather not get the passports for them and raise any suspicions (ages 18, 16 & 8). Is there any advantage to Mom & Dad having passports and the kids having BC & ID? Or do I really need passports for everyone. Also, what kind of picture ID do I get for an 8 year old?

I have heard that the government is proposing new requirement dates on the passports, but I don't believe its been approved as of yet. Holland America is still saying that passports are required beginning with the December 31, 2005 cruises. Without passports, and if they are required, you will be denied boarding the ship. We have a cruise scheduled for 2/11/06 and were told by both my TA and the cruiseline that passports are required for this cruise. Its printed right on our confirmations from the cruise line.

I would hate to see you not get the passports and be denied boarding. I would highly recommend you get the passports for your kids also.

Familycruzer is correct, in the past that would be all you would need, but Homeland Security has changed this and passports are now required on cruises beginning December 31, 2006 for everyone, including children, if the proposed new requirement dates are not imposed.

This is the new press release I got today off travel.state.gov.

• December 31, 2006 – Requirement applied to all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.
  • December 31, 2007 – Requirement extended to all land border crossings as well as air and sea travel.

In April 2005, the Departments of State (State) and Homeland Security (DHS) announced a proposed plan to be implemented in three phases beginning on December 31, 2005 for the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. After further review and considering the delay in publishing the public notice in the Federal Register, State and DHS recognized that implementing the December 31, 2005, phase would be problematic for travelers. This new timeline will simplify the implementation and provide a longer lead-time for travelers to come into compliance with the requirements.

I am going to check with my TA to see if they have been advised of anything.

That's interesting, I just called my TA after reading this and they have NOT been advised of this as of yet.

We all have our passports for our cruise in Feb, 2006, I would still highly recommend passports no matter what.

This is what I read on the passport home page. I found what cakolb referred to under FAQ. I think the government needs to get their act together when they update their web site. When they have conflicting info, they just cause more confusion.

New Requirements for Travelers Between the United States and the Western Hemisphere

The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 requires that by January 1, 2008, travelers to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama, Mexico and Canada have a passport or other secure, accepted document to enter or re-enter the United States. In order to facilitate the implementation of this requirement, the Administration is proposing to complete it in phases following a proposed timeline, which will be published in the Federal Register in the near future.

This is still all new to agents--so allow a few weeks for them to process information.

our agent says taht carnival is still going to make passports mandatory. but when you call carnival you get a variety of answers.

Thanks for all the input. I think I will do just that - bite the bullet - spend the $470 - and get passports for all of us. ONE less thing I will have to worry about! I agree, the government website is VERY confusing. Nothing is just spelled out in black & white.

Archived