I know, I know...

Flying in on the day you sail is not recommended. Normal circumstances we would not. But we've been thrown some lemons and we have no choice.

We are traveling in August, 6 months away, we have insurance. Just having anxiety over it already.

So, how many of you travel the day of sailing? I think August is better then winter months but you never know.

Gotta get on that ship, lol...

~Sweet~

We flew in the day of for our first few cruises. But after one anxiety-filled delay, I now book our flights for at least the day before. I don't think I would cancel a cruise if I had to change to a day-of flight. I'd take the chance. I also always book travel insurance.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Others that have had success in the past flying the day of a sailing is irrelevant.

The bottom line is; it is a risk.

A lot of planning & money go into a cruise.

The risk is a personal decision & many factors have to be weighed in.

Very happy to hear you have insurance.

Flying in the day of a sailing will leave you with a 50% chance of having to use it.

Good luck, I hope everything works out on the day of your cruise!

:)

Flying in on the day you sail is not recommended. Normal circumstances we would not. But we've been thrown some lemons and we have no choice.

We are traveling in August, 6 months away, we have insurance. Just having anxiety over it already.

So, how many of you travel the day of sailing? I think August is better then winter months but you never know.

Gotta get on that ship, lol...

~Sweet~

If the lemons are truly out of your control and I know the flight(s) is out of your control, don't sweat it. Nothing you can do about it. Being able to roll with the changes is part of traveling.

Our first cruise didn't know better. We flew from Ohio, had a layover in Philly and then on down to Orlando. Where we had to get a rental car to drive to Port Canaveral. The line for the cars were worse than an amusement park. We weren't stressing (cause we didn't know better). Then a lady at the counter yelled if anyone is going on a cruise please raise your hand and get up here now!!! We made it......but we were not stressed cause we didn't know any better!!!! LOL

Just stay positive you will be fine.....keep watching your flight, if they change the time on it and make it later, you can call and change it to an earlier flight or even the night before!!! Good Luck and you will be fine!!!!!!!!!!

Very happy to hear you have insurance.

Flying in the day of a sailing will leave you with a 50% chance of having to use it.

You realize you're saying that 50% of the people that fly in on the day of cruise end up having to use their insurance. :confused::confused::confused:

If this were true, costs for insurance would be sky high. Insurance companies that lose money don't stay in business very long.

Don't be stressed! I have only ever flown in the day before a cruise once, and only because the flights were cheaper. The reason I don't stress so much is I always fly Southwest, with a direct flight. The most important part is to watch the weather, and if it looks like something could go bad, be proactive and change the flights.

I have done it under certain conditions:

It MUST be a non-stop. I only do it spring or fall; never in winter. I take the first flight of the day, very early morning. Less chance of the plane being delayed in a previous city. The plane is usually at the airport already.

When I cruise out of Fort Lauderdale, Southwest has many non-stops in succession from my home airport. Done that twice.

Once to Miami, non-stop on American.

Once did it from BWI to Seattle on Air Tran. First flight of the morning. $89 in 2008 at the depth of the recession when Air Tran was introducing service to Seattle.

I've been lucky all four times; everything on time.

If you are flying from NY to Florida in summer on a non stop flight then I think you'll be just fine!

We did something similar on the west coast where we flew from San Diego to Seattle.

I would not fly cross country or change planes on the day of cruising but a short non stop flight would be OK.

You realize you're saying that 50% of the people that fly in on the day of cruise end up having to use their insurance. :confused::confused::confused:

Please don't dissect every word.

Simply meaning that there is a 50/50 chance of something going wrong or everything going smoothly.

50% chance in regards to this individual & circumstances that may or may not surround them the day of their sailing.

I'm not referring 50% of people that fly in the day of.

Edited by ObstructedView2

I've done it and not had issues. If you are taking a super early flight with no connecting flights (nonstop) you would probably be okay.

We have a 7am, non-stop. Arriving around 10am. It's the first non-sop out. Fingers crossed. Hopefully the situation changes and we can change to the day before. Doesn't look good though.

Thank you everyone!!

Edited by sweetsixteencruisers

As an Airline Pilot, and knowing everything that can, and does happen on a daily basis, we NEVER fly on the day of sailing. EVER. With that said, your chances of making it with no issues are much higher than not making it, but why risk it?

OP, I know that you had some extraordinary circumstances, so this is for those who say that they have no other choice but to fly on the day of departure because of work. You DO have choices. You do not have to squeeze in a 7 or 8 day cruise when you only have 7 days of vacation. Take a 6 day cruise instead which will allow for an extra day to travel. 6 night itinerary not as appealing? I understand, but you need to be realistic with the vacation time that you have.

Edited by Tapi

We have missed day one of our cruise , because our airline could not get us from RI to Flat the day of . But still we like to fly in the day of the cruise . Get this Carnival even gave us back the money for day one . Way to go Carnival . We never did get our luggage this trip , but still had fun . This was our 25 year anniversary cruise , one we will never forget lol

We use to do it all the time when we flew in on Summer months always at least a day or sometimes two during winter months. But then we were flying into Ft Lauderdale the day before our cruise on a beautiful May morning when the plane had problems and it became a 4hr delay, we were fine but apparently there were a lot of people on the plane not so fine that were catching their cruises. The good part was for those that had booked transport by Carnival and when the plane landed Carnival reps were at the baggage area telling people not to worry about their bags they would collect their luggage tags and see to it that their luggage caught up to them, they just needed to board the bus to get to the port in Miami. Those that did not buy Carnival transportation were left to figure out on their own.

As an Airline Pilot, and knowing everything that can, and does happen on a daily basis, we NEVER fly on the day of sailing. EVER. With that said, your chances of making it with no issues are much higher than not making it, but why risk it?

OP, I know that you had some extraordinary circumstances, so this is for those who say that they have no other choice but to fly on the day of departure because of work. You DO have choices. You do not have to squeeze in a 7 or 8 day cruise when you only have 7 days of vacation. Take a 6 day cruise instead which will allow for an extra day to travel. 6 night itinerary not as appealing? I understand, but you need to be realistic with the vacation time that you have.

Our cruise has been booked for 8 months. Our situation really doesn't have anything to do with vacation time. If I could share why, I would buts it's our lemons 😁. Not trying to be fresh!!

We use to do it all the time when we flew in on Summer months always at least a day or sometimes two during winter months. But then we were flying into Ft Lauderdale the day before our cruise on a beautiful May morning when the plane had problems and it became a 4hr delay, we were fine but apparently there were a lot of people on the plane not so fine that were catching their cruises. The good part was for those that had booked transport by Carnival and when the plane landed Carnival reps were at the baggage area telling people not to worry about their bags they would collect their luggage tags and see to it that their luggage caught up to them, they just needed to board the bus to get to the port in Miami. Those that did not buy Carnival transportation were left to figure out on their own.

I purchased the airport transfers last night!!

Please don't dissect every word.

Simply meaning that there is a 50/50 chance of something going wrong or everything going smoothly.

I have always driven to the port to catch a cruise. Do you know if the cruise lines have a deal with the airlines for cheaper fare or should I book the flight myself? What about a cruise that originates in another country? Thanks!

I am going on the Breeze in April and leaving the morning of. I just booked the earliest flight leaving out. No worries.. you will be fine;)

Uh, yeah. Just don't read the other thread this morning titled "Trying to get to the Breeze". [emoji16]

Edited by Tapi

Thousands of passengers fly in the day of their cruise especially during the good weather months when cancellations are more equipment based than weather. Things to consider are frequency of flights and availability of alternate airlines.

My recommendation would be to book the earliest flight available from the most reliable airline. If you are internet savy you can check the cancellations of all airlines respective to their flight numbers and days of the week.

If airlines were as unreliable as some cruise critic members lead you to believe they would all be out of business by now.

Good advice on the transfers. I have a cruise next December. I live in NH, heading to Florida. Think I'll buy the airfare and transfers through the cruise line for this one (not a carnival cruise) but I'm already stressing, even with flying in the day before.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll be fine in August. Did I read somewhere you were from NY? Could you make it driving straight through in a rental car?