booking a HC cabin.. not HC

We don't need a HC cabin.

We want an aft balcony cabin.

The only aft balcony cabins available on a cruise I want to book are HC cabins.

There are 4 aft balcony cabins available....... all HC.

Do I book one and hope nobody needs it?

please advise

never in this situation before

Do I leave the 4 HC cabins hoping it will be booked by HC passengers?

Do I leave the HC cabins for other non HC to book?

love the aft

I know and I feel guilty, but I would like to book an aft balcony!!!!

If I book the aft balcony.... which is HC and they NEED my aft HC balcony for another HC passenger..... what happens?

I don't think anything would happen. The room would just come up unavailable.

If they need that cabin, they will take it from you and try to give you something comparable. As in a balcony for balcony cabin. You will need to fill out a special needs form. You will attest to the need of a handicapped room when you fill out the form.

If they need that cabin, they will take it from you and try to give you something comparable. As in a balcony for balcony cabin. You will need to fill out a special needs form. You will attest to the need of a handicapped room when you fill out the form.

Curious how often people hear of this actually happening. My parents cannot travel without HC accommodations (they both have mobility issues, and my dad is an amputee often in a wheelchair). There have been many times when they have tried to book and been told no HC rooms are available. I know that there are limited numbers of HC rooms available, and it is entirely possible that they are all legitimately booked, but I've never gotten the impression that there has been much inquiry or effort to ascertain whether the booked accommodations are in fact taken by HC passengers. Not so much on these boards, but I've heard people talk of booking HC rooms for the extra space, and it makes my blood boil. For an HC person, that space is not "extra" but a necessity.

I am guessing it happens more when the customer is put in there by the cruise line and is informed that they could be moved if needed more then if someone fills out a form and attesting to it. Unless they see the recipient walk from the curb, to check in, up the brow, and straight to a bar....then they might cringe and move them....LOL

All the ones we have to book do cost a few hundred more too per person..It is not the same price as regular balconies......at least that is what we have found...

Edited by FireEater

I had the same situation a few years ago - and my PCC (at NCL) told me that I could book it, but that if they at a later time received a request for a HC cabin from somebody, I had to be prepared to be moved to a different cabin. Since I like to know exactly where our cabin on a booked cruise is located, I ended up choosing a different cabin.

If I were you, I would book it and hope for the best - but be prepared that they might move you if somebody else need that HC cabin more than you do...

Edited by TrumpyNor

We don't need a HC cabin.

We want an aft balcony cabin.

The only aft balcony cabins available on a cruise I want to book are HC cabins.

There are 4 aft balcony cabins available....... all HC.

Do I book one and hope nobody needs it?

please advise

never in this situation before

Do I leave the 4 HC cabins hoping it will be booked by HC passengers?

Do I leave the HC cabins for other non HC to book?

love the aft

We were booking our first cruise (on the Jewel), and wanted an aft balcony suite and another balcony cabin close by for our kids. The only aft suite left was 9672, which is a HC suite. We made it absolutely clear (to both our TA and to NCL directly) that we didn't need a HC cabin. We were told they book non-HC people in those cabins all the time; that it was "first come, first served" for EVERY confirmed reservation, and that there was zero chance of being moved, after the reservation was confirmed. We were a little uncomfortable about the whole thing; NCL told me (after I asked to speak to a supervisor) said if we didn't book the cabin, there was a 75% chance it would be booked by another non-HC passenger. The rep also said that if a HC passenger wanted to book a HC cabin, there would almost always be one available booking 4-6 months out; the closer to sailing, the less likely one would be available. We went ahead and booked it and had a great time, but we wrestled with the decision first.

I booked one as well and was told the same,they would ask us to move if someone requested it. We sail less then 30 days and still have that room. I wouldn't worry about it,they have others and if not they will move you to a comparable cabin.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

It is my understanding that you cannot book a accessible cabin online, at least, not until a late date. To book one, you must speak to an agent, and affirm that you have genuine need for it. Later on, I cannot say when for sure, at some point they become 'up for grabs' by anyone, but if you don't need it, they can still move you to something in the same or higher category if a disabled passenger makes a late booking...

I'm disappointed in any cruise line or passengers whose attitude about a HC cabin is "somebody's gonna get it". There are actually some of us who need a HC cabin that do make last minute (38 days out) . I stick to a cruise line that doesn't encourage passengers to take cabins they don't qualify for. Hubby and I decided last minute to take a last minute Coastal Cruise, prices were amazing, and my poor Hubby deserves a break. We ended up taking a mini suite as that was the very last HC cabin available. Would I prefer to pay half for less room ? Sure, but I can feel comfortable that my chosen cruise line hasn't sold cabins i need to those who don't. If there aren't HC cabins available i have to skip the cruise. It isn't a matter that the cabin i "like" isn't available, it is the cabin i NEED .

Does not getting the cabin you want change your plans to take this cruise ? It does to most of us who NEED that cabin.

JMHO

I'm disappointed in any cruise line or passengers whose attitude about a HC cabin is "somebody's gonna get it". There are actually some of us who need a HC cabin that do make last minute (38 days out) . I stick to a cruise line that doesn't encourage passengers to take cabins they don't qualify for. Hubby and I decided last minute to take a last minute Coastal Cruise, prices were amazing, and my poor Hubby deserves a break. We ended up taking a mini suite as that was the very last HC cabin available. Would I prefer to pay half for less room ? Sure, but I can feel comfortable that my chosen cruise line hasn't sold cabins i need to those who don't. If there aren't HC cabins available i have to skip the cruise. It isn't a matter that the cabin i "like" isn't available, it is the cabin i NEED .

Does not getting the cabin you want change your plans to take this cruise ? It does to most of us who NEED that cabin.

JMHO

I understand what you are saying - at what point would you consider the cruise line justified in releasing the cabin? 30 days, 15 days, never?

This is not true. The only people who fill out the handicapped forms are the people who contact the Accessability Desk at NCL. When we were offered a handicapped suite, our PCC was well aware we did not need it. We did not have to "prove" any disability. As far as "they will take it from you", in all the threads I have ever seen on this topic, and it comes up frequently, I have yet to see a single person report that this ever happened to them. I have only ever seen one report of anyone who was even asked to move, and her response was "no" and that was the end of it.

This is not true. The only people who fill out the handicapped forms are the people who contact the Accessability Desk at NCL. When we were offered a handicapped suite, our PCC was well aware we did not need it. We did not have to "prove" any disability. As far as "they will take it from you", in all the threads I have ever seen on this topic, and it comes up frequently, I have yet to see a single person report that this ever happened to them. I have only ever seen one report of anyone who was even asked to move, and her response was "no" and that was the end of it.

This is our experience also. You might be asked in some rare situation. But you rarely/never hear about it on here.

For the other poster. When would you release a handicap cabin to the public? Never? Here's reality. A ship has 10 handicap cabins. At six months I call and ask for one, nope your not handicapped. Call at 30 days, full price, nope got to hold it just in case someone needs it. Call one week, nope someone might want it. Ship leave tomorrow, available for 50% off.

If someone wants to reserve a specific cabin, handicap or not, book it as soon as possible before it's gone. This is similar to a Owners suites, there are very few of them available, if you wait, you probably won't get one. The cruise lines can't keep certain cabins available 7x24 in case you want to book a last minute cruise. Sorry. You mention your favorite cruise line never books a handicap room to someone who does not qualify, that indicates they will sail empty. What cruise line does this?

i think my answer would be, after all other cabins have been sold open HC cabins up to anyone and everybody. I agree, it would be silly to have the ship sail with empty cabins that could have been filled.

Perhaps new ships can plan for more doors to be wider on non-HC cabins that would allow those on scooters and wheelchairs to access cabins by choice. I LOVE having room to turn my scooter around but I am also capable of backing out a door.

With only 10 cabins available to HC passengers that means only approximately 20 of the usually over 2000 passengers are able to get cabins they NEED. that's a mere 1% availability .For non-HC people ,not getting the cabin you WANT probably won't destroy your cruise. Taking a HC cabin from someone who NEEDS it probably will determine if they are able to go.

Please, if you see cabins marked as HC and don't qualify, just ignore them like you do HC marked parking spaces.

i think my answer would be, after all other cabins have been sold open HC cabins up to anyone and everybody. I agree, it would be silly to have the ship sail with empty cabins that could have been filled.

Perhaps new ships can plan for more doors to be wider on non-HC cabins that would allow those on scooters and wheelchairs to access cabins by choice. I LOVE having room to turn my scooter around but I am also capable of backing out a door.

With only 10 cabins available to HC passengers that means only approximately 20 of the usually over 2000 passengers are able to get cabins they NEED. that's a mere 1% availability .For non-HC people ,not getting the cabin you WANT probably won't destroy your cruise. Taking a HC cabin from someone who NEEDS it probably will determine if they are able to go.

Please, if you see cabins marked as HC and don't qualify, just ignore them like you do HC marked parking spaces.

There are certainly more than 10 HC cabins, I used that number as an example. There are HC cabins in about every category on the ships.

Thank you for all of your responses.

I got lucky.... My DH was able to switch his vacation week and the week we are going on has a regular aft balcony available!!!!! I feel much better about booking a regular cabin. Thank you for all of your responses.

Good for you! Not many people would be so selfless in their vacation planning.

ncl told me they try to hold on to hc cabins for those who need them until after final payment so they are then first come first served....my first hc was up sold from regular balcony to an aft pH suite on the gem with a butler with big attitude....we were,indeed,asked if we needed our cabin as they were looking for one.....maybe someone embarked with an injury or some other kind of mistake had been made...

.and there is a common misconception that hc cabins cost more....they do NOT....if you budget for an inside and there are none left you have to pay more for the next level up.....it's the same with hc cabins....I am grateful to have the chance to cruise safely and must be a good planner tho we have been pretty lucky the last couple of years...