Request for a Handicapped Cabin

riddle

I do not use a walker or scooter. However, I do have handicaps that are not as obvious. For example, I have a very hard time with steps and long walks are hard for me. I generally use the handicapped facilities if available. I do not want to take a handicapped cabin from someone who needs one much more than me but the bathroom alone would be a great help to me. Am I being selfish if I request a handicapped cabin?

I do not use a walker or scooter. However, I do have handicaps that are not as obvious. For example, I have a very hard time with steps and long walks are hard for me. I generally use the handicapped facilities if available. I do not want to take a handicapped cabin from someone who needs one much more than me but the bathroom alone would be a great help to me. Am I being selfish if I request a handicapped cabin?

not selfish - selfish are those that book them to get more space - sounds like the room would be perfect for you

Book and enjoy the cruise as it is meant to be.

They usually go quick though. Hope you have some time before the cruise.

By all means, book it if you can.

You will be asked to fill out a special needs form. I get one for my wife every cruise. Just scan it filled out and send it back to the special needs department. walla, you are in like flint.

I have felt the same way as you (I do use a cane when needed) and after our last cruise (rough seas and very hard to make the "step up" into the bathroom of our cabin) we made the same decision for our next cruise. Having a level bathroom is now a must for me. Do not feel bad to book what you need.

Not selfish at all. My mom does the same thing. She is fully ambulatory, does every activity imaginable (snorkeling, sailing and planning to try the ropes course on the Getaway next week) but for the life of her cannot get up from a chair without assistance of bars/handholds. Meaning a regular bathroom is a nightmare for her. The cruise ship toilets are so low in a regular cabin she gets stuck, and if the ship is rocking forget it. If regular cabin had the extra bathroom handholds and raised toilets she would be fine. She never has an issue booking a HC cabin while explaining her needs. If you need it, book it!

Not selfish at all. My mom does the same thing. She is fully ambulatory, does every activity imaginable (snorkeling, sailing and planning to try the ropes course on the Getaway next week) but for the life of her cannot get up from a chair without assistance of bars/handholds. Meaning a regular bathroom is a nightmare for her. The cruise ship toilets are so low in a regular cabin she gets stuck, and if the ship is rocking forget it. If regular cabin had the extra bathroom handholds and raised toilets she would be fine. She never has an issue booking a HC cabin while explaining her needs. If you need it, book it!

It would be so simple for them to install handholds!

I myself have bad knees and have a hard time getting up from a toilet. Don't know if this would help her but i put my dominant hand on the seat between my legs and use that to push myself up...

Please don't use the term handicap. How about person with a disability or accessible cabin.

What's wrong with using the term 'handicap'? We use it interchangeably with 'disabled', 'differently-abled'. The tag on our van is a handicapped parking tag.

I am in the same boat. I have RA and have days where I can walk for miles and other days were I can't step over a tub. I just never know what kind of day today will be and tomorrow can be totally opposite. I requested an accessible cabin because I do much better using an ADA height toilet and shower with seat and grab bars. When I made my reservation, I explained my needs to the PCC and he got the accessible cabin approved while on the phone.

it's a tough call. These cabins are extremely limited, and frankly maybe a priority should be given to wheelchair dependent non ambulatory passengers. These passenger really need an accessible cabin, with the alternative being they may not be able to go.

The regular cabins I have been in this past year, many did have grab bars, which is a plus.

What's wrong with using the term 'handicap'? We use it interchangeably with 'disabled', 'differently-abled'. The tag on our van is a handicapped parking tag.

There are varying stories of the origins of the word handicap. Most disability advocates strongly discourage using handicap because they believe the word is rooted in "hand in cap" as in begging. Advocates work hard for persons with disabilities to be seen as equal and not less than those without disabilities. I have worked in disability advocacy and use the phrase "person with a disability" because it puts the person first and disability second.

I hope that helps explain.

it's a tough call. These cabins are extremely limited, and frankly maybe a priority should be given to wheelchair dependent non ambulatory passengers. These passenger really need an accessible cabin, with the alternative being they may not be able to go.

The regular cabins I have been in this past year, many did have grab bars, which is a plus.

Except that the accommodations made in accessible cabins are not only for those who need a wheelchair. The cabins also accommodate vision and hearing disabilities, those who cannot open doors easily, those who cannot lift legs over tubs/shower lips, etc. Disabilities come in many forms and many are not obvious. I cannot turn traditional door knobs many sink faucets are difficult to operate. I don't look like I have disability, yet my health condition is very disabling at times.

Except that the accommodations made in accessible cabins are not only for those who need a wheelchair. The cabins also accommodate vision and hearing disabilities, those who cannot open doors easily, those who cannot lift legs over tubs/shower lips, etc. Disabilities come in many forms and many are not obvious. I cannot turn traditional door knobs many sink faucets are difficult to operate. I don't look like I have disability, yet my health condition is very disabling at times.

I state it is a tough call. My comments are based on the very limited number of accessible cabins.

I have acute neuropathy, affecting my balance and ability to walk distances. I am handicapped, NOT disabled and have a handicap tag on my car.

I agree that it's not always obvious why someone has a handicap badge and I also agree that the OP is entitled to request and use a handicapped room.