Prinsendam or Zuiderdam?

Cy'all@C

We are deciding between Prinsendam or Zuiderdam on May 6th out of Rome. Either itinerary and price suits us.

What we'd like to know is if there are significant ship differences that would tend to make you book one over the other. If so, please share!

Thanks

Cy'all@C

We are deciding between Prinsendam or Zuiderdam on May 6th out of Rome. Either itinerary and price suits us.

What we'd like to know is if there are significant ship differences that would tend to make you book one over the other. If so' date=' please share!

Thanks

Cy'all@C[/quote']

I have been on both ships. We prefer the Prinsnedam but it is our favourite ship in the fleet.

Zuiderdam is bigger with more passengers.

Prinsendam is older, smaller and way freer passengers around 840 maximum. Has a higher crew to passenger ratio as well. Being a small ship the crew know you quickly. At the bars, the staff would come up and name the drink to confirm and smile.

The Lido pool on the Prinsendam is NOT covered unlike the other HAL ships. I actually prefer this and spend more time on the Lido on the P'Dam than the Zuidie,

The P'Dam was built to sail the oceans and she cuts through the waves. I'd rather do a TA on her than any ship in the fleet. She was not builtby HAL and is not a typical HAL ship despite modifications.

I love herCrow's Nest.

We had a great time on the Zuiderdam and if you prefer a covered pool area, more passengers and a larger ship then I would go with Her.

you are comparing apples/oranges. We love both ships and have done extended (3 weeks or more) cruises on each multiple times. We choose for itinerary, not the ship.

Each has its benefits and limitations. It is impossible to me to give one advice on which to choose .. if you have cruised much you know if you prefer bigger or smaller - if you don't care, then flip a coin. If you have not cruised much, take Ziddy as it is bigger and has more options.

harry

Just wanted to add to what has already been said. We have sailed both and love the small size and excellent sailing of the Prinsedam. She has a unique hull design that makes her sailing so much smoother. The crew gets to know you much sooner and are a bit more friendly IMO. But, the P'dam is much older and wearing a bit at the seams. She does have king beds and walk-in closets as she was built for longer voyages while the Z'dam has queen beds and the standard cabinet-style closets. If you prefer a shower-only cabin, the P'dam has more cabin options with showers only (and they are a good size). The Z'dam is newer, has more activities, everything is larger (except cabins), there is more variety for things to do, and she has the covered pool area which we like.

You cannot go wrong with either ship. Enjoy your cruise!

The Prinsendam is truly "one of a kind" and we really appreciate that HAL has continued to operate this "less than efficient" vessel. As has been posted here many times, the P"dam is a love it or hate it ship depending on your point of view. At one time we heard that the P'Dam has the highest percentage of repeaters in the fleet. On one of our longer P'Dam cruises over 75% of the passengers were 4 or 5 Star Mainers!

Given a choice we would book the P'Dam every time (it is our favorite HAL vessel) but do understand that many cruisers do not like the fact that is an older ship (with many older ship problems), is a small ship, does not have a lot of amenities, etc. But she is unique and that kind of older vessel will not be around too many more years.

Hank