Grandeur of the Seas and Ice on the Chesapeake

nieciez

I read an email from the US Coast Guard stating that the shipping channel will be closed from sunset to sunrise until further notice. They are working on getting an ice breaker into the shipping channel from Annapolis anchorage to the Baltimore Harbor.

There was a thread on this Friday. Chengkp75, a marine engineer told us (in general anyway, I may be a bit off on details) that the only change would be that Grandeur entered earlier and traveled slower. The ship left as normal Saturday. It sounds like the situation has gotten worse in the last couple days but should be better by March 3.

Roy

Haven't seen the USCG notice for Baltimore, but did get stuck in DC overnight due to USAir's computer problems. At 6am, the hotels sprinkler pipes burst and the fire alarm went off. It's cold where it ain't normally cold.

If the channel is completely blocked, or nearly so, and since they are talking about getting a breaker in there, it probably is, then no ship will move until the ice is broken and cleared. Once they can get it moving, then the ships can proceed slowly and "push" the ice away with the bow wave. The last thing any ship wants is to even graze a small piece of ice. Even what we call "pan ice" (thin sheets) can tear a gap if there is enough force behind it.

Haven't seen the USCG notice for Baltimore, but did get stuck in DC overnight due to USAir's computer problems. At 6am, the hotels sprinkler pipes burst and the fire alarm went off. It's cold where it ain't normally cold.

If the channel is completely blocked, or nearly so, and since they are talking about getting a breaker in there, it probably is, then no ship will move until the ice is broken and cleared. Once they can get it moving, then the ships can proceed slowly and "push" the ice away with the bow wave. The last thing any ship wants is to even graze a small piece of ice. Even what we call "pan ice" (thin sheets) can tear a gap if there is enough force behind it.

The notice I read today was in an email to him who works for a container barge company.

I read where the Grandeur left an hour and a half late on Saturday, not because of the bay, but frozen pipes.

With the snow here on Saturday I wondered what the delay was. Given Baltimore had several inches of snow by 4 pm I didn't know if they were also holding the ship for people who had booked air though choice air.

I read where the Grandeur left an hour and a half late on Saturday, not because of the bay, but frozen pipes.

It's possible, but the only really static water system onboard would be the sprinkler system. Unlike your water pipes at home, the water onboard is constantly recirculating (which is why the cold water is never really cold). Remember, from the fire, that the aft mooring deck sprinkler system was normally dry, and they couldn't reach the valve due to the fire, so maybe they have changed the system to be a wet pipe back there.

Now that I think back on it, I've experienced slush ice in Baltimore and the C&D canal. This is kind of like "almost" freezing water, and when you suck it into the ship for cooling, the pressure drop from the pump suction turns the water into a "snow cone" in the sea strainer, and clogs the pumps. They may have had some difficulty getting enough engines online to get underway, while the engineers are clearing the snow out of the strainers.