Alaska in early/mid May--balcony or spa?

zacdilone

My wife and I are headed on our first cruise to Alaska, departing on May 7th. Our budget is limited, so we figure we can either splurge for a) the unlimited spa pass (for sauna, hot tub, etc.) or b) a balcony room.

Taking into account the fact that it will not yet be super-warm that time of year, we're wondering which is the better option for us. Any experienced Alaska cruisers have an opinion? Which would you choose between the two?

One of the cool things about the spa is that it has a lovely, warm lounging area with large picture windows...but my wife and I are also somewhat low-key and the thought of a private balcony is also appealing. Unless we'd just be too chilly to enjoy it.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

We have been on 3 northbound cruises to Alaska and our 4th booked for May 13th of this year. We had balconies in the past and also for the upcoming cruise. Personally, we wouldn't book a cruise to AK without a balcony. The scenery is spectacular for lack of proper words! Breathtaking and we have seen much wildlife on all three prior cruises.

Even without wildlife, the mountains and glaciers are just incredible while sipping hot cocoa or coffee on our balcony. Some cruises have been warm enough for a short sleeved shirt and an iced tea. It maybe just us, but scenery is very deeply soul warming if that makes any sense. Just our opinion. Others will have other opinions. :)

My wife and I are headed on our first cruise to Alaska, departing on May 7th. Our budget is limited, so we figure we can either splurge for a) the unlimited spa pass (for sauna, hot tub, etc.) or b) a balcony room.

Taking into account the fact that it will not yet be super-warm that time of year, we're wondering which is the better option for us. Any experienced Alaska cruisers have an opinion? Which would you choose between the two?

One of the cool things about the spa is that it has a lovely, warm lounging area with large picture windows...but my wife and I are also somewhat low-key and the thought of a private balcony is also appealing. Unless we'd just be too chilly to enjoy it.

We've been to Alaska in September and May...always get a balcony. We love the privacy and when the ship gets close to glaciers...we enjoy it from our balcony...and don't have to fight the mob on the open decks:eek:

We also like to bring our favorite hot chocolate and enjoy a cup or two on the balcony.. if weather is cold.

We love cruising to Alaska..its a special place!

You said your cruise is departing May 7th....is it the NCL Pearl?

Ralph

We have been on 3 northbound cruises to Alaska and our 4th booked for May 13th of this year. We had balconies in the past and also for the upcoming cruise. Personally, we wouldn't book a cruise to AK without a balcony. The scenery is spectacular for lack of proper words! Breathtaking and we have seen much wildlife on all three prior cruises.

Even without wildlife, the mountains and glaciers are just incredible while sipping hot cocoa or coffee on our balcony. Some cruises have been warm enough for a short sleeved shirt and an iced tea. It maybe just us, but scenery is very deeply soul warming if that makes any sense. Just our opinion. Others will have other opinions. :)

EatPrayCruise.

I agree 100% with everything you said!

so we figure we can either splurge for a) the unlimited spa pass (for sauna, hot tub, etc.) or b) a balcony room.

Between those two choices, I think it is no contest -- get the balcony. You can got to a sauna/hot tub anywhere (and, there are free hot tubs on the ship, I presume). You went to Alaska for the scenery.

If between the two, balcony hands down. You go to Alaska to see Alaska, not to hang out in a spa! Save the spa for more relaxing cruises like the Caribbean.

If it were me, I would do neither and splurge on an awesome excursion or two. Alaska from a cruise ship is great. Alaska up close from a small boat or from a float plane is spectacular!

Have fun!

If it were me, I would do neither and splurge on an awesome excursion or two. Alaska from a cruise ship is great. Alaska up close from a small boat or from a float plane is spectacular!

I agree with this. I'd rather do a really spectacular excursion, like flightseeing.

Alaska is all about the scenery. We wouldn't take an Alaska cruise without a balcony.

We have been there twice and had a balcony both times which we used extensively when we weren't out and about on the decks. We are planning another cruise next year and will book a room with a balcony.

Alaska is amazing. Happy cruising!

I would book an ocean view and use the money for excursions. I found it way too cold to enjoy being out on a balcony except while sitting in the port, then I am in the city not on the ship. When you are doing Alaska you have ice all around you in the glacier areas and it is freezing. It may be in the 60's and 70's in port but out at sea it feels like it is in the 30's and 40's. Also we did a lot of the excursions by getting off the ship and booking with a local Eskimo American. In Juno there is a local trolley that takes you to Mendenhall Glacier three years ago it was only $7.00 and the ship was charging over $30.00 and Roberts Tram is at the cruise port. Search the reviews for details on the best excursions. Have the trip of your life time. My advice brings Jackets and sweat pants and shirts. it is way colder than you expect it to be. Top sellers on the ship was Fleece jackets, hats, gloves and Sweatshirts. Bring Binoculars I went up to the Lido deck which is covered and watched the sea I saw two whales and a seal as we were cruising to Juno.

I don't care about my cabin and enjoy the cheap insides. :) Just my style of traveling. Some people have to have a balcony and enjoy those. Key is to KNOW yourself.

I would suggest the op, determine what they want out of their time? It could be they would use the spa every day and not as interested in Alaska scenery.

I also will dispute the claims that a balcony viewing is superior for views. It isn't. I never run into any "crowds" that are often reported. I use the lower open promenade decks, going side to side. And usually have far more viewing time than most. I also never skimp on any tours I want, my priority. I do not have any budget limits, which is reported by the OP.

The only way to determine what would be best, is to ask yourself, what is the most important for YOU. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, or does, don't get caught up in what is the popular choice. There is no right or wrong.

The only way to determine what would be best, is to ask yourself, what is the most important for YOU. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, or does, don't get caught up in what is the popular choice. There is no right or wrong.

Budget Queen, I think that you nailed it. Our opinions are just that - our opinions. One needs to determine what they think might best fit them. :)

Edited by EatPrayCruise

My opinion ...

For us, a balcony is a must have. We absolutely love being out on it. We have been to Alaska 3 times. Twice in Sept, once in May. Next one will be in August.

Some days we had to bundle up out on the balcony, other days we didn't even need a jacket. Weather is unpredictable no matter where you cruise to.

One thing we always look for is a completely covered balcony (some of the ships have no cover on the balconies of certain decks.

We have taken some of the most amazing photos from our balcony too. We spend a lot of time up on deck also. Our splurge is the balcony. I will state too that we choose a balcony because I have asthma and at times need/want the fresh air. My husband and I both agree though, even if that wasn't an issue now for us we would choose a balcony cabin.

Any chance the extra $ can be put toward excursions? Just a thought.

That was our dilemma! We decided to put the money toward excursions. Now I am begging for help choosing the excursions! lol I posted a thread for help. I would appreciate any insight you could offer!

We had a balcony on our first trip in 2012 on HAL, but we really didn't use it much. It was a sunny day trolling Glacier National Park but I was up on deck looking at everything. It was usually cold, rainy and foggy so this trip we are on RCCL in an inside cabin. We've never stayed in one of those so it will be cramped.

We just celebrated our 40th with a cruise a couple of weeks ago on the Jewel in the Southern Caribbean. Too much splurging on that cruise means on the cheap on this one. I always have at least one of the specials in the spa for a massage or facial so to me that's important.

I'd say whatever you find most important - Just go for it.

Gloria