Diamond spouse, first cruise other spouse, RCCL asleep at the switch

kevink

I'm the OP of this thread. I'm surprised this thread came back alive, I was a little taken aback at the negative reaction I got and decided to let it drop.

The point I think many people missed in part because I expressed it so badly is that loyalty programs like C&A are primarily meant to try to lock you in as a returning customer and make you want to keep coming back for the perks. It's not about "who earned it" or who didn't.

There's a great quote in the movie Hoffa that's always rung true to me: "A real grievance can be resolved; differences can be resolved. But an imaginary hurt, a slight - that ************ gonna hate you 'til the day he dies." And to me, blocking someone's spouse from joining them in a lounge is a slight, and it's not a good way to earn future business. You've already got your hooks into half the couple, so what would be the upside? You want them both joyously happy and booking their next Future Cruise onboard.

Anyway, all's well that ends well, my concerns were resolved with a call to the Loyalty desk. Thanks to all who replied, even if only crocodile tears were offered. :-)

Kevin

Probably, if your initial post had not come across like a spoiled kid throwing a tantrum, you would have gotten a slightly different reaction. But, to me, it's a little silly to expect that someone automatically gets frequent traveler privileges, because their spouse earned them.

I mentioned my wife's airline perks, earlier. There was a trip when she got to go into the airline "member lounge", because of her status, and I, by virtue of being her spouse, did not. I could pay to go in, like anyone else. I suppose, if I had a sense of entitlement, I could have considered that a "slight," but I didn't.

And to me, blocking someone's spouse from joining them in a lounge is a slight, and it's not a good way to earn future business. You've already got your hooks into half the couple, so what would be the upside? You want them both joyously happy and booking their next Future Cruise onboard.

Agree. It's not about achievements or awards (these are not Doctorate degrees last I looked). It is about fostering loyalty and I feel similarly to you. If staff tried to segregate my wife and I, I can assure you she would probably not be thrilled with me running down to make a deposit for a Future Cruise Certificate.

I do appreciate that spouses get a status match after the first cruise, and now that there are drink coupons it eliminates part of the issue (one person taking advantage of a venue when the other isn't allowed in).

I don't think you have a sense of entitlement. I think your thoughts are reasonable. I have no problem with spouses being given matching status.

I don't think you have a sense of entitlement. I think your thoughts are reasonable. I have no problem with spouses being given matching status.

I don't have a problem with it, either. I only expressed an opinion about the sense of entitlement that it must be that way, or else it's some sort of "slight." It's really not something that is a part of most other business "loyalty programs."

Thinking it's nice or not having a problem with it does not constitute a sense of entitlement. Feeling slighted, if you don't get it, does, in my opinion.

Edited by Paul65

I don't have a problem with it, either. I only expressed an opinion about the sense of entitlement that it must be that way, or else it's some sort of "slight." It's really not something that is a part of most other business "loyalty programs."

I have a number of affiliations, memberships, loyalty rewards, etc., where either I have been extended benefits because of my wife, or vice versa. It makes us more apt to utilize those benefits since we can both use them; almost all of them require us to spend money.

In these cases I think it makes smart business sense to bring a spouse up to the same level, because ultimately the goal is to get the couple to spend money with you, as opposed to each going in a different direction. Or, you know, pissing off a wife.

I don't feel that any of these memberships, affiliations, etc., are actual achievements since they are available to anyone who wants to join and being a member is not significant of having made a personal achievement.

Thanks to advice on these boards, my wife pretty much became an instant Diamond. Did everything within RCI rules and framework. Am very pleased with the result. Wife feels like her business is appreciated more than on the cruiseline she has been on before we even met.

Thinking it's nice or not having a problem with it does not constitute a sense of entitlement. Feeling slighted, if you don't get it, does, in my opinion.

Ah, okay. I think I understand now what you are saying.

Basically, my wife doesn't care if she is a Diamond member, or Plutonium, or Red, White, and Blue. She doesn't study the benefits or tell anyone her status, etc.

But if I were invited into a lounge and a concierge stopped my wife and said she wasn't allowed, yes, she would feel slighted. It's not that she would feel entitled to all these benefits, it's that she feels like if I'm invited into a lounge on vacation it would make sense for that invitation to include her as well and to be bounced at the door would tick her off. And I'd agree with that viewpoint.

I don't feel that any of these memberships, affiliations, etc., are actual achievements since they are available to anyone who wants to join and being a member is not significant of having made a personal achievement.

Seems you're talking about something different in this paragraph. Joining something that anyone can join is different from reaching an "elite status" level, such as RCCL Diamond Plus or Delta Skymiles Platinum Medalion or Hilton Hhonors Diamond. These all are meant to recognize and provide certain perks to those who have met a certain threshold of "loyalty" with the particular companies involved.

I don't know that I would describe it as a "personal achievement," but you have done something to earn the status, in most cases.

But if I were invited into a lounge and a concierge stopped my wife and said she wasn't allowed, yes, she would feel slighted. It's not that she would feel entitled to all these benefits, it's that she feels like if I'm invited into a lounge on vacation it would make sense for that invitation to include her as well and to be bounced at the door would tick her off. And I'd agree with that viewpoint.

I guess I just don't feel that way. I didn't feel slighted or ticked off to not be invited into the Delta Crown Lounge, on that one trip I described. I understood that it was a perk my wife had earned, because of all the travel she had done for her job. But, then, I didn't go to the door expecting that I'd have that privilege.

I guess I just don't feel that way. I didn't feel slighted or ticked off to not be invited into the Delta Crown Lounge, on that one trip I described. I understood that it was a perk my wife had earned, because of all the travel she had done for her job. But, then, I didn't go to the door expecting that I'd have that privilege.

I think there's a bit of a perception difference between 1 hour in an airport lounge before a flight and a 3 hour window every single evening while on a multi-day vacation.

Your wife is going to make use of the lounge on her own frequently, because she travels alone frequently (assuming, of course she cares to use the lounge).

On the other hand, I think the drink vouchers have alleviated the issue somewhat, as it seems the Diamond Lounge is the #1 discussed & desired benefit of Loyalty levels. The problem is that the drink voucher idea should have been thought of years ago when the whole idea of a restricted-access lounge came into being.

Edited by nolesrule

It is about fostering loyalty and I feel similarly to you. If staff tried to segregate my wife and I, I can assure you she would probably not be thrilled with me running down to make a deposit for a Future Cruise Certificate.

I do appreciate that spouses get a status match after the first cruise, and now that there are drink coupons it eliminates part of the issue (one person taking advantage of a venue when the other isn't allowed in).

Maxwell, you have summed up exactly what I have been stating. Your second paragraph finishes the point. It is like a first date; if the family (RC) likes you, they welcome you with open arms. However, in this case you are paying for cruise fare to be welcomed. :)

I think there's a bit of a perception difference between 1 hour in an airport lounge before a flight and a 3 hour window every single evening while on a multi-day vacation.

Your wife is going to make use of the lounge on her own frequently, because she travels alone frequently (assuming, of course she cares to use the lounge).

On the other hand, I think the drink vouchers have alleviated the issue somewhat, as it seems the Diamond Lounge is the #1 discussed & desired benefit of Loyalty levels. The problem is that the drink voucher idea should have been thought of years ago when the whole idea of a restricted-access lounge came into being.

Yes, I realize that it's impossible to ever make a comparison without someone pointing out to you that they're not exactly the same thing. No two things that you compare are ever exactly the same. But despite the differences, I still don't think that a spouse or traveling companion should feel entitled to a perk that someone else earned through frequent travel. If it's offered, that's great. If it's not, I still wouldn't feel slighted.

Maxwell, you have summed up exactly what I have been stating. Your second paragraph finishes the point. It is like a first date; if the family (RC) likes you, they welcome you with open arms. However, in this case you are paying for cruise fare to be welcomed. :)

Why not just give everyone Diamond-level perks on their first cruise? That would make them feel welcomed with open arms. :cool:

Why not just give everyone Diamond-level perks on their first cruise? That would make them feel welcomed with open arms. :cool:

Isn't that called Gold in the CA membership. :D

Diamonds in December didn't really help the overcrowding issue, but it did help with loyalty branding.

It obviously makes no "fricking sense" to you, but it does to those who have cruised many times to make Diamond status and see no reason that it should be extended to someone who has never cruised on RCCL.....:rolleyes: You need to re-think your bitter comments, do you really think RCCL is "designing" their policy to "boost their competitors bottom lines"?????? Seriously? Haha yes I'm sure that's their corporate strategy........

BTW, our daughter is Diamond on her own after cruising many years with us. It would NEVER OCCUR TO ME that her husband someday who'd never been on RCCL should be Diamond........... Good grief.......... Typical entitlement attitude these days.

Well said.

Now that is funny. CC could make a new topic section for this "new spouse program". Trade In and Trade Up is what they could call it.

Yeah!

I could trade my 40+ DW for two twenty year olds.

The only problem is that i am not wired for 220.:D