Is it worth visiting San Gervasio??

GramaFran

My family want to see some Mayan ruins but do not want to take the long hot trip to Tulum, would it be worth renting a car/jeep or hire a taxi to take them to San Gervasio? They want the kids to get a little education out of this cruise. I figure they will have to rent 2 jeeps or hire 2 taxis as there are 6 of them. Right?

I vote for shopping and the beach but then I have been to Coz 2 times before.

I went there two years ago and enjoyed it..was a site for females so things on a smaller scale the main sites in Cancun....

Depending when your ship sails you could also do the beach..we had some time to shop then reutned to our ship. We did a ship tour so don't know about public trans port....

There are taxi vans you can use or you can rent a minivan which holds about 7 people. The San Gervasio Ruins here on the island don't really compare to Tulum, however they do have an interesting history and some have commented they liked it better than Tulum because they felt more intimate- not overwhelming like some of the larger ruins areas. They open by 8am so you could easliy tour the ruins and have plenty of time to sun/shop. Really the best time to go is early so it won't be as hot. Mosquitos can be bad due to the season, so be sure and use mosquito spray!!

You helped them make a decision and they are going to go to San Gervasio followed by a little shopping and then to a beach, prob. PB. since it seems to get the best reviews.

I am glad to hear there are vans available as they did want to travel together, there are 6 of them.

I will enjoy the shopping and a drink or two in town while they do their sightseeing. Thanks for the info about mosquitos, we will have spray with us for sure.

Thanks,

You helped them make a decision and they are going to go to San Gervasio followed by a little shopping and then to a beach, prob. PB. since it seems to get the best reviews.

I am glad to hear there are vans available as they did want to travel together, there are 6 of them.

I will enjoy the shopping and a drink or two in town while they do their sightseeing. Thanks for the info about mosquitos, we will have spray with us for sure.

Thanks,

We rented a jeep and a car when we traveled with our friends and docked aboard the Disney Magic. We too wanted to explore and visited the "ruins" in order to show the kids. There were 5 kids and all 5 of them were so very bored here. The ruins were okay, nothing that I would ever go back to and not really sure I would ever suggest friends visiting. I would personally spend my time just exploring and then visit a beach club.

• 3 weeks later...

If you go, just make sure to bring insect repellant!! It can get very bad with mosquitos if it has been raining a lot before you get there. I found out that the hard way haha. They sell the stuff on site for $5 bucks a can!! Just bring your own, in case.

Archived