Craft beer on Freedom

kaki60

The pub is called Bull & Bear on the Freedom and it's the only place you'll find the expanded beer menu. You should also be able to find Sierra Nevada at most bars around the ship.

Thanks, What kind of entertainment do they have in the pub. I've heard the schooner bar is a lot of fun.

• 2 weeks later...

They had Boddington, Beck (not dark), and Stella on tap. The beer selection is shameful for a "pub." We had to make do with bottled Bass, Sierra Nevada, and canned Guinness. The menu referenced above was not available on this ship.

The pub singer was entertaining for a night or two, but didn't play many "pub" songs at all. He also made everything sounds like Johnny Cash. We enjoyed it most when a couple crew members took over the entertainment for the night. One was a British girl from the cruise director's staff (saw her previously running the karaoke bar), and the other was a guitar player from the orchestra. They rocked the house, and several staff members were there to watch. The only night the place was packed. Watch for it in the Cruise Compass. It was the second to last night for us. It may not be a regular part of the entertainment schedule, though. They said it was only the 3rd time they'd done this.

They had Boddington, Beck (not dark), and Stella on tap. The beer selection is shameful for a "pub." We had to make do with bottled Bass, Sierra Nevada, and canned Guinness. The menu referenced above was not available on this ship.

The pub singer was entertaining for a night or two, but didn't play many "pub" songs at all. He also made everything sounds like Johnny Cash. We enjoyed it most when a couple crew members took over the entertainment for the night. One was a British girl from the cruise director's staff (saw her previously running the karaoke bar), and the other was a guitar player from the orchestra. They rocked the house, and several staff members were there to watch. The only night the place was packed. Watch for it in the Cruise Compass. It was the second to last night for us. It may not be a regular part of the entertainment schedule, though. They said it was only the 3rd time they'd done this.

Will keep an eye out for this, thanks. Do you recall if Hoegaarden was available? I can get by with a rotation of Bass, Sierra Nevada, and Hoegaarden combined with cocktails and wine :)

I love Boddingtons. It's what I drink to slow down. I don't disagree with some of the beer selections, on RCI and frankly all cruise lines. Do you know if the Boddington's on tap is included in the Drink Packages? I see it isn't in the can, and wonder if that is why.

Will keep an eye out for this, thanks. Do you recall if Hoegaarden was available? I can get by with a rotation of Bass, Sierra Nevada, and Hoegaarden combined with cocktails and wine :)

Just an FYI:

Hoegaarden is owned by InBev

Just in case that is an issue for you. :)

Thanks to everyone who replied about the craft beer and bar extertainment. We will be sure to check out the compass.

I love Boddingtons. It's what I drink to slow down. I don't disagree with some of the beer selections, on RCI and frankly all cruise lines. Do you know if the Boddington's on tap is included in the Drink Packages? I see it isn't in the can, and wonder if that is why.

They ran out of Boddington's on tap a few days in to the cruise. Pretty sure I saw it in cans, though. Boddingtons is fair, but definitely not a session beer. It'll definitely slow you down. Try a Young's Double Chocolate Stout to "slow down" with real flavor. :D

A more impressive choice for this pub would be something like Belhaven or Smithwick. The former might be a little exotic for the ship (though not for a good America pub), but the latter can be found in just about any decent Irish or British pub. I've never seen anything that I've been excited about on an RCI ship. The closest was one ship that had both Murphy's Red and Stout on tap. Can't even seem to find a Dos Equis Dark or Negra Modelo. I have the feeling that they expect their Caribbean passengers would prefer lighter beers. More likely, that beer connoisseurs are not a big demographic.

They ran out of Boddington's on tap a few days in to the cruise. Pretty sure I saw it in cans, though. Boddingtons is fair, but definitely not a session beer. It'll definitely slow you down. Try a Young's Double Chocolate Stout to "slow down" with real flavor. :D

A more impressive choice for this pub would be something like Belhaven or Smithwick. The former might be a little exotic for the ship (though not for a good America pub), but the latter can be found in just about any decent Irish or British pub. I've never seen anything that I've been excited about on an RCI ship. The closest was one ship that had both Murphy's Red and Stout on tap. Can't even seem to find a Dos Equis Dark or Negra Modelo. I have the feeling that they expect their Caribbean passengers would prefer lighter beers. More likely, that beer connoisseurs are not a big demographic.

I love Young's products. The Chocolate Stout is my least favorite though, I wish they still distributed the other selections in the states. Smithwick's would be easy for them to get, as it is a diageo import, Belhaven would be a bit harder. But probably the middle ground would be Kilkenny which is now owned by Guinness/Diageo. The issue would be that you would need the nitro tap.

I love Young's products. The Chocolate Stout is my least favorite though, I wish they still distributed the other selections in the states. Smithwick's would be easy for them to get, as it is a diageo import, Belhaven would be a bit harder. But probably the middle ground would be Kilkenny which is now owned by Guinness/Diageo. The issue would be that you would need the nitro tap.

Yeah, it seems to me that Smithwick's would probably be ideal for RCI. Easy to get, acceptable to craft beer lovers, and a milder option that would suit most palates. Belhaven Scottish Ale would be a win in my book, though :) Actually, they could probably pick about any American craft brewed Scottish ale and be fine, as I've seldom tasted a bad one of this style.

As a homebrewer and craft beer enthusiast, I have to respectfully disagree. "Session" beers have yet to find a defined ABV threshold, but around the Colorado brewing industry, it is generally considered to be anything under 5.5%. Maybe I'm pretty fat at 210 and 5'10", but I've never experienced any beer around 5% that has "slowed me down." I could see it slowing you down because of the thickness of the stout, but 5.2% is comparable to Bud and Negra, and most people would never say those slow you down or aren't session beers. I'm just at least hoping they have Stella. That's my go-to in a pinch, but it looks like Sierra Nevada is on board, so hopefully they have something other than their Pale Ale.

Carnival is building a ship that has dedicated breweries actually incorporated in it. I believe it's scheduled to start sailing next year. I could be mistaken, but the brewery plans are already approved and moving forward. THAT is a ship I'll definitely check out.

The cruise I'm going on Sunday I'm taking two Great Divide Peach Grand Cru that was bottled in 2012 (750ml bottles). Well, one of them will be drunk on the train tonight, and the second one will be drunk during a sail away toast. 12% ABV. Now that's a beer that will slow you down! :D

Yeah, it seems to me that Smithwick's would probably be ideal for RCI. Easy to get, acceptable to craft beer lovers, and a milder option that would suit most palates.

Totally agree with this statement. Smithwick's is a damn decent Irish Red.

Edited by TomAceEsq

Carnival is building a ship that has dedicated breweries actually incorporated in it. I believe it's scheduled to start sailing next year. I could be mistaken, but the brewery plans are already approved and moving forward. THAT is a ship I'll definitely check out.

\

That might just get me back on a Carnival ship. :D I don't have a menu but the beer selection on Celebrity is much better than Royal. Go figure. :o

As a homebrewer and craft beer enthusiast, I have to respectfully disagree. "Session" beers have yet to find a defined ABV threshold, but around the Colorado brewing industry, it is generally considered to be anything under 5.5%. Maybe I'm pretty fat at 210 and 5'10", but I've never experienced any beer around 5% that has "slowed me down." I could see it slowing you down because of the thickness of the stout, but 5.2% is comparable to Bud and Negra, and most people would never say those slow you down or aren't session beers. I'm just at least hoping they have Stella. That's my go-to in a pinch, but it looks like Sierra Nevada is on board, so hopefully they have something other than their Pale Ale.

By "slow down" here I simply meant a more robust flavor and body that would end one's appetite for more beer. Boddingtons, being not particularly appealing to me, could do that. I found myself usually drinking coke with Zacapa or Pirate rather than the beers on the ship. BTW, I saw Stella on tap in several bars.

That might just get me back on a Carnival ship. :D I don't have a menu but the beer selection on Celebrity is much better than Royal. Go figure. :o

That might get me on my first Carnival ship :) Shame RCI can't get on-board with the long-established craft beer trend. I fear they think they are.

BTW, for anyone on the Western itinerary, be sure to look for the "345 Stout" on Grand Cayman, which is produced by the local brewer that does the Caybrew and Ironshore Bock. It's a surprisingly good stout!

That might get me on my first Carnival ship :) Shame RCI can't get on-board with the long-established craft beer trend. I fear they think they are.

And RCI is supposed to be "upscale" from Carnival. HA!! :p:p:p

The cruise I'm going on Sunday I'm taking two Great Divide Peach Grand Cru that was bottled in 2012 (750ml bottles). Well, one of them will be drunk on the train tonight, and the second one will be drunk during a sail away toast. 12% ABV. Now that's a beer that will slow you down! :D

Totally agree with this statement. Smithwick's is a damn decent Irish Red.

Lol don't get carried away. When we say Sierra Nevada on board, it definitely will not include anything other than Pale Ale.

If you aren't already aware, Carnival cruises sailing from Florida ports sell Cigar City beers on board. They are a great Tampa brewery.

Edited by Restless24

By "slow down" here I simply meant a more robust flavor and body that would end one's appetite for more beer. Boddingtons, being not particularly appealing to me, could do that. I found myself usually drinking coke with Zacapa or Pirate rather than the beers on the ship. BTW, I saw Stella on tap in several bars.

My bad. I totally get what you mean, though.

Nice! Stella really isn't a terrible beer.

Lol don't get carried away. When we say Sierra Nevada on board, it definitely will not include anything other than Pale Ale.

If you aren't already aware, Carnival cruises sailing from Florida ports sell Cigar City beers on board. They are a great Tampa brewery.

Bummer. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale isn't that great of a pale ale, IMHO. I was unaware Carnival had Cigar City on board. We don't get CC in Colorado, so I'm pretty jealous.

My bad. I totally get what you mean, though.

Nice! Stella really isn't a terrible beer.

I've never actually tried it. Looks light, and they seem to market to women, which even turns my wife off. (She likes an even sturdier beer than me, btw)

We don't get CC in Colorado, so I'm pretty jealous.

Dude, half the time I try something new that I like, I check the label and it's from Colorado (like Founders DB Scotch Ale). No need to be jealous :)

Dude, half the time I try something new that I like, I check the label and it's from Colorado (like Founders DB Scotch Ale). No need to be jealous :)

People from Grand Rapids, Michigan may have something to say about that. :D;) Founders has some great stuff though. On RCI, I prefer Redhook Long Hammer IPA over Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.