Pearl to Alaska at the end of August, is it chilly?

mush71

We are booked on the Pearl at the end of August and I am trying to figure out how to pack? Is it jeans and t-shirts? Is it shorts? Should I pack a light jacket or something heavier?

Thanks for any help. :)

The weather in Alaska varies quite a bit. We did a late August cruise and the weather was great. Sunny and we were in t-shirts on our port stops. On our glacier day, a very warm coat and gloves were needed despite the sunny skies. It was cold!

The cruise before ours had cool, rainy weather all week. Layering is your best bet. I would recommend both a light jacket, maybe a rain jacket and something heavier.

We are booked on the Pearl at the end of August and I am trying to figure out how to pack? Is it jeans and t-shirts? Is it shorts? Should I pack a light jacket or something heavier?

Thanks for any help. :)

Yes to all of the above. Layers are critical in AK. It might be 75 or 80 one day and 40 the next, you just have to be prepared for all temps in between.

The weather in Alaska can really vary, even from day to day.

I've cruised to Alaska 4 times in August.

3 times we've had really nice weather. One time was okay weather -- We had some light rain in Juneau, and it was pretty cool on deck when at sea. Not many people used the pool, but the hot tubs were usually busy even in the cooler weather.

Last August, we had outstanding weather. Every day it was warm on deck and folks were laying out in swim suits enjoying the sun.

This is how we have packed: We bring mostly long pants -- dh jeans, me jeans and cropped pants. A couple pair of shorts each, but not really worn. About half short sleeve t-shirts, and half long sleeve tops.

Then we bring heavier-weight zip-front hoodies and a jacket. Not a big, lofty type jacket, but a medium-weight jacket.

We don't dress up much for dress-up-or-not night. Just slacks and nicer top. I bring a sweater to wear. So, if we walk around after dinner, in or out on the deck, I will be warm enough.

It's important to think layers when cruising to Alaska. We are set if it's warmer, with short sleeve tops. But when it's cooler, we can throw on a long sleeve top and the hoodie. We have never brought any rain-type gear to wear. We've been lucky and not much rain, but it can rain. I figure if needed, we can stop in some place and get a plastic poncho so we can spend the day outside and stay pretty dry. The rain doesn't bother us much.

When cruising to the Glacier, it does get pretty cold. That day, we do a long sleeve top, the hoodie jacket and then another jacket over the hoodie.

Some people bring pretty heavyweight coats, but not us. I don't want to take up the room in our suitcase. We can put the hood up on our hoodies. You may want to bring a lightweight pair of gloves to put on when viewing the Glaciers.