Help Needed for Must See In Alaska

deandaniell

Thank you, Budget Queen. We picked this cruise because it stopped in Sitka and Victoria for the day. Just wanted a nice relaxing cruise experience this time. We haven't been to Sitka since our first trip to Alaska in 2001 and my husband loved it. I could go to Alaska every year but my husband says he is done for a few years after this trip. What a bummer! He wants to go elsewhere. He prefers warmer places and I prefer Alaska so we compromise here and there.

Got any ideas for Skagway for this early May trip? Was thinking of driving all the way to Whitehorse as we know someone there but again he isn't fond of taking the drive again especially I know the scenery is dull past Emerald Lake.

Thanks for your help.

I never tire of the Klondike Highway. IF you have a friend you wish to see, I wouldn't hesitate to drive to Whitehorse and have done so several times. I too have a friend who lives in Whitehorse, last time, he drove down to Carcross where we met. If your husband doesn't want to go, go without him- would be my choice. :) I split up all the time. Works very well in my case.

Yes, look at vendor web sites instead of using NCL's description.

The train:

http://wpyr.com/

An independent tour operator. Other vendor are listed on the town web site which is Skagway.com

http://www.chilkootcharters.com/

None of us can tell you which tour you will like best. You just need to keep researching until the decision comes easily.

Thank you again for this link! It provided a better description on what the tour included and from this I have picked just the right train ride for us. I knew I could count on y'all for helping us muddle through the excursions and get the answers I was looking for! :)

These are the excursions we have booked so far. I am getting so excited!

1) Magnificent Misty Fjords Seaplane

Discover Misty Fjords National Monument, the nation's second largest wilderness region. Slowly crafted by nature over tens of thousands of years, it spans over a two million acre remote area. Board an authentic Alaskan floatplane and soar along the Ketchikan waterfront of Tongass Narrows then ascend to this monument that offers dramatic sights of sheer granite cliffs, waterfalls and glacial lakes. The specially equipped floatplanes offer all the amenities to make your trip a memorable experience, including digital CD audio systems and headsets to listen to the narration and music.

Midway through your flight, your pilot will land on a pristine lake or the saltwater inlet of Misty Fjords so that you can appreciate the incredible scenery of this wilderness while standing on the floats of the plane. Eagles, bears, mountain goats, whales and sea lions are some of the wildlife you may observe from your guaranteed window seat. You'll be given a souvenir route guidebook that will help you identify landmarks and highlights, and provide you with a memento of your trip. Bring your camera to capture the remarkable beauty of Misty Fjords.

2)Mendenhall Glacier River Float

Discover the fun of white-water rafting on an exciting - yet gentle Mendenhall River excursion that's perfect for rafters of all ages and levels of experience. Your trip begins with a scenic motorcoach ride to the beautiful Mendenhall Lake. Once there, you'll gear up, board your raft, and take off on your unforgettable adventure. Your experienced guide will steer you across the serene waters of the lake, maneuvering past the floating icebergs, to the river beyond. Admire the spectacular views of the glacier and towering peaks as you float downstream. You'll also want to be on the lookout for local wildlife.

You can choose from two raft style options, a paddle raft or an oar boat. The oar boat is perfect for those who want the guide to do all the work, as you sit and enjoy the narration and scenery. The paddle raft is perfect for those who want to power their raft through rapids, following the commands of their guide. At the end of your journey you'll head to shore to enjoy an Alaska style snack. There will be splashes and the water is very cold.

3)White Pass Scenic Railway

No trip to Alaska is complete without a ride on the White Pass & Yukon Route narrow gauge railroad. Take the unforgettable journey aboard the "Scenic Railway of the World" and travel from tidewater to the summit of White Pass, a 2,865 foot elevation. Ride 40 miles round-trip in vintage rail cars as you retrace the original route to White Pass Summit passing Bridal Veil Falls, Inspiration Point and Dead Horse Gulch. This fully narrated tour features panoramic views of mountains, gorges, waterfalls, tunnels, trestles and historic sites. See the original Klondike Trail of '98 worn into the rocks, a tribute to the thousands that took this route to seek their fortune. The narrow gauge railroad is a designated International Historic Civil Engineering Landmark, shared with the Eiffel Tower and the Statue of Liberty.

4) Glacier Point Wilderness Safari

This wilderness expedition to the spectacular Davidson Glacier leads you through fjords, rain forests, colorful wildflowers, and towering mountains. Your adventure begins with a 75 minute journey through North America's deepest fjord aboard a high speed 26 passenger expedition boat. Watch for whales, seals, sea lions, and cascading waterfalls along the way to a remote beach at Glacier Point, one of the most beautiful places in Alaska.

After a short, adventurous drive across the forested glacial moraines, and a quarter mile walk, the forest suddenly opens to a breathtaking view of the glacier. The crystal blue ice tumbles from the jagged peaks into a pristine lake where 12 passenger, 31 foot voyager canoes wait to take you to the very face of the glacier. Throughout your tour, expert guides share their extensive knowledge of this amazing area. Enjoy a picnic lunch at the beach amid fields of wild strawberries and iris tops before your return trip to Skagway.

Edited by deandaniell

These are the excursions we have booked so far. I am getting so excited!

1) Magnificent Misty Fjords Seaplane

Discover Misty Fjords National Monument, the nation's second largest wilderness region. Slowly crafted by nature over tens of thousands of years, it spans over a two million acre remote area. Board an authentic Alaskan floatplane and soar along the Ketchikan waterfront of Tongass Narrows then ascend to this monument that offers dramatic sights of sheer granite cliffs, waterfalls and glacial lakes. The specially equipped floatplanes offer all the amenities to make your trip a memorable experience, including digital CD audio systems and headsets to listen to the narration and music.

Midway through your flight, your pilot will land on a pristine lake or the saltwater inlet of Misty Fjords so that you can appreciate the incredible scenery of this wilderness while standing on the floats of the plane. Eagles, bears, mountain goats, whales and sea lions are some of the wildlife you may observe from your guaranteed window seat. You'll be given a souvenir route guidebook that will help you identify landmarks and highlights, and provide you with a memento of your trip. Bring your camera to capture the remarkable beauty of Misty Fjords.

2)Mendenhall Glacier River Float

Discover the fun of white-water rafting on an exciting - yet gentle Mendenhall River excursion that's perfect for rafters of all ages and levels of experience. Your trip begins with a scenic motorcoach ride to the beautiful Mendenhall Lake. Once there, you'll gear up, board your raft, and take off on your unforgettable adventure. Your experienced guide will steer you across the serene waters of the lake, maneuvering past the floating icebergs, to the river beyond. Admire the spectacular views of the glacier and towering peaks as you float downstream. You'll also want to be on the lookout for local wildlife.

You can choose from two raft style options, a paddle raft or an oar boat. The oar boat is perfect for those who want the guide to do all the work, as you sit and enjoy the narration and scenery. The paddle raft is perfect for those who want to power their raft through rapids, following the commands of their guide. At the end of your journey you'll head to shore to enjoy an Alaska style snack. There will be splashes and the water is very cold.

3)White Pass Scenic Railway

No trip to Alaska is complete without a ride on the White Pass & Yukon Route narrow gauge railroad. Take the unforgettable journey aboard the "Scenic Railway of the World" and travel from tidewater to the summit of White Pass, a 2,865 foot elevation. Ride 40 miles round-trip in vintage rail cars as you retrace the original route to White Pass Summit passing Bridal Veil Falls, Inspiration Point and Dead Horse Gulch. This fully narrated tour features panoramic views of mountains, gorges, waterfalls, tunnels, trestles and historic sites. See the original Klondike Trail of '98 worn into the rocks, a tribute to the thousands that took this route to seek their fortune. The narrow gauge railroad is a designated International Historic Civil Engineering Landmark, shared with the Eiffel Tower and the Statue of Liberty.

4) Glacier Point Wilderness Safari

This wilderness expedition to the spectacular Davidson Glacier leads you through fjords, rain forests, colorful wildflowers, and towering mountains. Your adventure begins with a 75 minute journey through North America's deepest fjord aboard a high speed 26 passenger expedition boat. Watch for whales, seals, sea lions, and cascading waterfalls along the way to a remote beach at Glacier Point, one of the most beautiful places in Alaska.

After a short, adventurous drive across the forested glacial moraines, and a quarter mile walk, the forest suddenly opens to a breathtaking view of the glacier. The crystal blue ice tumbles from the jagged peaks into a pristine lake where 12 passenger, 31 foot voyager canoes wait to take you to the very face of the glacier. Throughout your tour, expert guides share their extensive knowledge of this amazing area. Enjoy a picnic lunch at the beach amid fields of wild strawberries and iris tops before your return trip to Skagway.

These are all ship excursions? I do have to make a comment about the Mendenhall Float trip, which I never recommend. You are only going to get a brief, distant view of Mendenhall. The bulk of the trip has the glacier at your back, going by backyards and trees. At the significant cost, I'm a firm believer in money better spent elsewhere. If you want a real nice glacier experience, then consider the canoe tour, or easy to rent kayaks. Far superior. As for a float trip the trips on the Taiya River out of Skagway are grossly superior compared to the Mendenhall float.

You also should be aware that independent flightseeing of Misty Fiords, can get you a landing, which is superior to just standing on floats.

there also may be small savings with independent reservations.

Sit on the left side of the train out of Skagway.

These are all ship excursions? I do have to make a comment about the Mendenhall Float trip, which I never recommend. You are only going to get a brief, distant view of Mendenhall. The bulk of the trip has the glacier at your back, going by backyards and trees. At the significant cost, I'm a firm believer in money better spent elsewhere. If you want a real nice glacier experience, then consider the canoe tour, or easy to rent kayaks. Far superior. As for a float trip the trips on the Taiya River out of Skagway are grossly superior compared to the Mendenhall float.

You also should be aware that independent flightseeing of Misty Fiords, can get you a landing, which is superior to just standing on floats.

there also may be small savings with independent reservations.

Sit on the left side of the train out of Skagway.

Thank you so much for the tips. I will reschedule something other than the float! That is why I was asking for help. :) I know many of you are well seasoned Alaskan travelers and know so much.

This site helped me with Hawaii A LOT and I knew I could count of good advice here about Alaska. :D