Help Needed for Must See In Alaska

deandaniell

We are scheduled for Alaska starting May 25th. I read reviews for tours and all of them seemed to have mixed emotions on whether the tour was good or not. Most of them are very expensive and I do want to get the best bang for our buck as I don't see us going back more than this one time.

We are into seeing more than eating, so that helped us eliminate some of the tours.

We will be doing a 14 day tour hitting Skagway twice and Ketchikan twice and then Juneau, Seward and Icy Strait Point...and then this stop, Juneau, Alaska/Cruise past Sawyer Glacier.

I saw the dog sledding on the glacier verses the Mushers Camp and Sled Dog discovery. Any suggestions on which one is better?

Also, I wanted to take at least one train excursion and there were so many to pick from I was dizzy!

Panning for gold seemed cheesy to some but I did want to do at least one of those.

Also I saw helicopter tours of the glaciers and I thought that seemed really neat. I saw one of those in Skagway and I was thinking that seemed like a good one.

The last excursion that I was looking at was a Misty Fjords Seaplane excursion.

There was also a rainforest island adventure in Ketchikan, but it had bad reviews.

I know answering this post will take some time but I hope some soul will have pity on me and help me out with some of this. I really do appreciate this board and it helped me GREATLY when we visited Hawaii!

Awaiting your wisdom anxiously! Thank you in advance!!! We will be on the NCL Sun starting May 25th.

Edited by deandaniell

Did you read any of the trip reports in the sticks at the top of this forum? I read a lot of them and they were immensely helpful. Each person's experience is different based on age, interests, family size, mobility etc. So you can judge if your experience would be similar to theirs. Also read some articles etc from Frommer's or other travel books. You need to determine what most interests you and then start narrowing it down.i recommend starting with AryMay's review of her trip on the Coral last year. Great photos and lots of good insight.

I did read the sticky at the top. That is why I narrowed down the things I wanted to do.

1) Train ride- so many to pick from!!! I know nothing about Alaska so I was hoping for help here!!

2) Dog sled experience....Glacier ride vs Dog Sled Camp

3) Glacier helicopter/or plane experience

4) Rainforest or nature experience

Since there are so many choices for these experiences, I was hoping for some help in narrowing the best ones to pick. :p

Edited by deandaniell

Well I haven't gone yet so I can't vouch for anything myself. There is a thread specifically about the train and train vs car rental for Skagway. Try to search for it it was very helpful to me. For the dog sledding I know there is a big price difference. We chose a plane ride (Taku Lodge and glacier tour) as there is a weight surcharge for the helicopter and DH is not a small guy. Plus his boss highly recommended it, but its also not cheap. In Ketchikan you can get a rainforest walk for free and save money by taking the bus to one of the many hiking trails. There is a printable guide you can download from USDA

Well I haven't gone yet so I can't vouch for anything myself. There is a thread specifically about the train and train vs car rental for Skagway. Try to search for it it was very helpful to me. For the dog sledding I know there is a big price difference. We chose a plane ride (Taku Lodge and glacier tour) as there is a weight surcharge for the helicopter and DH is not a small guy. Plus his boss highly recommended it, but its also not cheap. In Ketchikan you can get a rainforest walk for free and save money by taking the bus to one of the many hiking trails. There is a printable guide you can download from USDA
Yay! Thank you. :) I will do that for the rainforest walk!

I saw two people say that the White Pass Railway was worth the money so I think that might be the way we are leaning at the moment unless some people chime in and tell us differently.

There are just so many excursions doing the same thing and I am not sure which ones to pick. I basically know "what" we want to do. I just don't know "which" excursion is the best one to pick to accomplish our goals. (I hope that makes sense.)

I did read the sticky at the top. That is why I narrowed down the things I wanted to do.

1) Train ride- so many to pick from!!! I know nothing about Alaska so I was hoping for help here!!

2) Dog sled experience....Glacier ride vs Dog Sled Camp

3) Glacier helicopter/or plane experience

4) Rainforest or nature experience

Since there are so many choices for these experiences, I was hoping for some help in narrowing the best ones to pick. :p

There are essentially 2 different train options to select first. The major tour is the White Pass, that goes up to Fraser, the train can be done round trip or one way. With the one way, the selection is to do a loop and return to Skagway. Or opting to get yourself into the Yukon with Emerald Lake the usual turn around. The other train is Lake Bennett- which is "best" for a varied tour, since it is a true loop, with little common scenery between the two. You do get a stop at a camp with the ability for a like walking- bonus of passing by some authentic gold rush relics left behind. :) This then does the same road trip as the Fraser Emerald lake tours.

Glacier dog sledding is very different from a glacier sight seeing trip. The glacier you land on is most all snow, you get a short ride with a group of 4, you do NOT drive any sleds, (although people think they are) 2 ride in the basket, one on break= with a professional driver. Some people do do both. :) Helicopter tours are available out of Juneau and Skagway, along with a few out Ketchikan.

In my opinion, it is darn easy to find your own "rainforest" walk with no need to pay for it. The East Loop trail at Mendenhall is an example of a massive wooded walk. In Ketchikan taking the bus to Ward Lake, or having a car rental and driving out to Perseverance trail are very enjoyable options. A simple investment in a walking trail book could be of benefit. The guided walking tours, I find very basic and short. They are geared for "everyone" and move only as fast as the slowest people. IF you do decide to go with a guided tour, I do recommend you look for one with some challenge.

Thank you so much for that information Budget Queen. I now have the train trip decided upon and we are going with the Dog Sledding on the glacier. I feel like I am making progress. We are going to do the self guided tour in the rainforest as suggested by knbcurisers.

Are you sure you looked at the STICKY for 2014 trip reports ?

#70 in the trip report list is a B2B photojournal that reaches the same ports as you. Read her summary then open the link to the journal.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2046395&page=4

I don't know where you're finding info that indicates 'so many' train rides to choose from. All there is on your itinerary is the train company in Skagway.:confused:

#76 is the photojournal comparison of doing the train in Skagway vs renting a car for the drive to Skagway.

Yes, I looked at the Stickys. I was trying to pick the best one of all these listed below. I thought perhaps someone could help me narrow them down if anyone had taken them.

1)

White Pass Railway, Klondike Gold Fields & Pa... Skagway, Alaska

Don't miss this golden opportunity to experience the Klondike's rich past on this historical railway and dredge tour. You'll board the Wh...

• ADULT FROM$169
  • CHILD FROM$89

Be the first one to review

DURATION 4¾ hours

ACTIVITY LEVEL 1

More details

2)

Best of Skagway & White Pass Railway Skagway, Alaska

If you want to really experience Skagway, this tour will show you the best Skagway has to offer. View spectacular scenary from your antiq...

• ADULT FROM$229
  • CHILD FROM$229

DURATION 6½ hours

ACTIVITY LEVEL 1

More details

3)

White Pass Scenic Railway Skagway, Alaska

Best Value No trip to Alaska is complete without a ride on the White Pass and Yukon Route narrow-gauge railroad that s...

• ADULT FROM$119
  • CHILD FROM$59

( 14 reviews)

DURATION 3½ hours

ACTIVITY LEVEL 1

More details

4)

VIP White Pass Scenic Railway Skagway, Alaska

Experience the dramatic beauty of Southeast Alaska while traveling aboard the White Pass & Yukon Route Railwayâs premier luxury parlor ...

• ADULT FROM$299
  • CHILD FROM$299

DURATION 3½ hours

ACTIVITY LEVEL 1

More details

5)

White Pass Railway & Suspension Bridge Skagway, Alaska

Ride the historic White Pass and Yukon Route Railroad Railway and traverse the Yukon Suspension Bridge on foot for a true Alaskan adventure.

• ADULT FROM$179
  • CHILD FROM$99

DURATION 4½ hours

ACTIVITY LEVEL 1

More details

6)

White Pass Railway & Yukon Expedition

Skagway, Alaska

Experience the magic and the mystery of the famed Yukon Territory. Enjoy the majestic peaks, waterfalls and glaciers on your drive up the...

• ADULT FROM$199
  • CHILD FROM$109

DURATION 8 hours

ACTIVITY LEVEL 1

More details

7)

White Pass Rail & Gold Fever Adventure

Skagway, Alaska

Ride the rails in style, revisit the gold rush era and experience the life of a prospector on this fun-filled family tour.

• ADULT FROM$189
  • CHILD FROM$99

( 3 reviews)

DURATION 5¼ hours

ACTIVITY LEVEL 1

More details

8)

White Pass Railroad & Klondike Highway â Fo... Skagway, Alaska

This excursion combines a trip over the Klondike Highway with a ride on the White Pass & Yukon Railroad, leaving you time for further exp...

• ADULT FROM$159
  • CHILD FROM$129

DURATION 3½ hours

ACTIVITY LEVEL 1

More details

a tour title without a description, itinerary, vendor probably won't bring you many responses. Are these from your cruiseline excursion list?

Do you want to get into the Yukon?

Do you want to take the train there AND back?

Do you want to take the train one way and bus/van back?

Do you require a cruiseline excursion or is independent ok?

What is your port time?

Edited by mapleleaves

a tour title without a description, itinerary, vendor probably won't bring you many responses. Are these from your cruiseline excursion list?

Do you want to get into the Yukon?

Do you want to take the train there AND back?

Do you want to take the train one way and bus/van back?

Do you require a cruiseline excursion or is independent ok?

What is your port time?

Yes, these are from NCL. They were the choices I had from the cruise line excursions. I thought perhaps others might have been on some of these tours and they could tell me the best one to pick.

I have 9 hours one day in port there. I read the reviews and got "great tour" all the way to "horrible tour don't bother".

I have no idea if I want to go into the Yukon or not. I haven't seen any of it so I was hoping to get the opinions of people here on their most "ahhhhhh" moment. I have read enough to know we are going to do a flying excursion!

I picked out the flying, train experience, dog sled/glacier, and glacier encounter experiences from reading what others have said. Now that I have narrowed down "what" we want to do, I am trying to pick the best excursions to get that goal accomplished.

Edited by deandaniell

Yes, these are from NCL. They were the choices I had from the cruise line excursions. I thought perhaps others might have been on some of these tours and they could tell me the best one to pick.

I have 9 hours one day in port there. I read the reviews and got "great tour" all the way to "horrible tour don't bother".

I have no idea if I want to go into the Yukon or not. I haven't seen any of it so I was hoping to get the opinions of people here on their most "ahhhhhh" moment. I have read enough to know we are going to do a flying excursion!

I picked out the flying, train experience, dog sled/glacier, and glacier encounter experiences from reading what others have said. Now that I have narrowed down "what" we want to do, I am trying to pick the best excursions to get that goal accomplished.

A small investment in Murray's Guide, would give you very detailed information on the South Klondike Highway, that may help you decide how far you wanted to go. For me, the drive is 100% scenery, and for me, more is better. :) I went up to the turn around- Emerald Lake 6 times last year, plus took both trains, one Fraser/Skagway and the Lake Bennett Train. It is a priority for me. I find the "dull" "boring", reports are from people who shouldn't have chosen this tour to begin with. It isn't for everyone, but those who do have the interest- it's spectacular. :) Interests need to be in trains, history, and scenery.

I am a firm advocate of splitting up and not dragging along uninterested people. :) Some just can't do this. Only a suggestion. :)

Are these reviews from NCL or another site? I did a lotbof reading on trip advisor and other Alaska tourism sites and equally important I went to the website of each company I was interested in. You will get a lot of detail there. If you only will book through the ship you might get more specifics posting this question on the NCL board

Yes, look at vendor web sites instead of using NCL's description.

The train:

http://wpyr.com/

An independent tour operator. Other vendor are listed on the town web site which is Skagway.com

http://www.chilkootcharters.com/

None of us can tell you which tour you will like best. You just need to keep researching until the decision comes easily.

Saw your mention of AryMay's review of the Coral but I haven't been able to find it...

do you have the link you could share?

Thanks

Did you read any of the trip reports in the sticks at the top of this forum? I read a lot of them and they were immensely helpful. Each person's experience is different based on age, interests, family size, mobility etc. So you can judge if your experience would be similar to theirs. Also read some articles etc from Frommer's or other travel books. You need to determine what most interests you and then start narrowing it down.i recommend starting with AryMay's review of her trip on the Coral last year. Great photos and lots of good insight.

Saw your mention of AryMay's review of the Coral but I haven't been able to find it...

do you have the link you could share?

Thanks

All trip reports are in a STICKY near the top of the page. AryMay's is #23. There are a number of good photojournals to look thru. .

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2046395&page=2

Yes, look at vendor web sites instead of using NCL's description.

The train:

http://wpyr.com/

An independent tour operator. Other vendor are listed on the town web site which is Skagway.com

http://www.chilkootcharters.com/

None of us can tell you which tour you will like best. You just need to keep researching until the decision comes easily.

Thank you so much for the links! I really appreciate the help. :)

A small investment in Murray's Guide, would give you very detailed information on the South Klondike Highway, that may help you decide how far you wanted to go. For me, the drive is 100% scenery, and for me, more is better. :) I went up to the turn around- Emerald Lake 6 times last year, plus took both trains, one Fraser/Skagway and the Lake Bennett Train. It is a priority for me. I find the "dull" "boring", reports are from people who shouldn't have chosen this tour to begin with. It isn't for everyone, but those who do have the interest- it's spectacular. :) Interests need to be in trains, history, and scenery.

I am a firm advocate of splitting up and not dragging along uninterested people. :) Some just can't do this. Only a suggestion. :)

We are ALL ABOUT the train, scenery and history!

We saw some clips and pics in the stickys and my husband and I are getting more excited with each new pic! It is so beautiful it doesn't even look real. We just can NOT wait! 87 more days!!!

Our last trip to Alaska in 2012 we wanted to do the Lake Bennett train trip in Skagway but it wasn't offered on the Monday that we were there so we took the bus up to Emerald Lake and train down. We enjoyed the day.

We all love the scenery, etc. I have never known of someone that took the Lake Bennett train trip. Please explain more about it. We are going again this May on a 10 night round trip Vancouver leaving May 12. I hope it isn't too early. We have never gone in May.

We need to be making some decisions about what we are doing in Skagway so your help regarding information on the Lake Bennett train trip would be appreciated.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what. Is USDA for nature/rainforest walks?

Yes it is a very good guide to all of the hiking trails in Ketchikan. It is about 40 pages with directions to each trail and a description of its difficulty, distance, and how trails connect. I am not sure why it's published by the US dept of Agricultural rather than Park Service ? But it's an easy Internet search to download the file.

Our last trip to Alaska in 2012 we wanted to do the Lake Bennett train trip in Skagway but it wasn't offered on the Monday that we were there so we took the bus up to Emerald Lake and train down. We enjoyed the day.

We all love the scenery, etc. I have never known of someone that took the Lake Bennett train trip. Please explain more about it. We are going again this May on a 10 night round trip Vancouver leaving May 12. I hope it isn't too early. We have never gone in May.

We need to be making some decisions about what we are doing in Skagway so your help regarding information on the Lake Bennett train trip would be appreciated.

the Lake Bennett train is not available for you again. :( Doesn't start until 5-26. Maybe next trip, take a look at the Lake Bennett schedule, when you are selecting your cruise.

Thank you, Budget Queen. We picked this cruise because it stopped in Sitka and Victoria for the day. Just wanted a nice relaxing cruise experience this time. We haven't been to Sitka since our first trip to Alaska in 2001 and my husband loved it. I could go to Alaska every year but my husband says he is done for a few years after this trip. What a bummer! He wants to go elsewhere. He prefers warmer places and I prefer Alaska so we compromise here and there.

Got any ideas for Skagway for this early May trip? Was thinking of driving all the way to Whitehorse as we know someone there but again he isn't fond of taking the drive again especially I know the scenery is dull past Emerald Lake.

Thanks for your help.

Yes it is a very good guide to all of the hiking trails in Ketchikan. It is about 40 pages with directions to each trail and a description of its difficulty, distance, and how trails connect. I am not sure why it's published by the US dept of Agricultural rather than Park Service ? But it's an easy Internet search to download the file.

Here's the link: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5413489.pdf