Freeport Grand Lucyan or Junkanoo Beach

BC18

Our cruise stops at Freeport one day and we are interested in a beach day. We are trying to decide between getting a pass at the Freeport Grand Lucyan or going to Junkanoo Beach. It will be my husband, our 2 year old daughter and myself. Any recommendations?

I'm assuming you'll have a stroller with you? If so, the Grand Lucayan has shady places by the pool to rest with a sleepy toddler. Also, lots of beach and sidewalks to run around. Count Basie Square is across the street in Port Lucaya Marketplace. Sometimes they have music playing in the Square. Lots of little ones running around! There are tables ringing the area so it's easy to keep on eye on them.

Honestly, I would do Grand Lucayan anyday over Junkanoo Beach. Junkanoo is hell trying to get a cab back to the port. It also does not have as nice amenities.

Tell me more about this "hell getting a cab back to the port" please. :eek:

Tell me more about this "hell getting a cab back to the port" please. :eek:

Basically, you have roughly 45 - 100 people or more trying to get cabs back to the port. We were staying at the Grand Lucayan for 4 days. We tried to get a cab back to our hotel and they wouldn't take us until all cruise people were picked up, no matter what order we got to the exit. We just decided to hang back, get a drink, and watch the chaos because it wasn't worth the drama.

Even that, cruise people were yelling and arguing about who got there first and screaming things like, "If you make us miss our ship, you're paying for our cruise you b**ch." Guys were yelling at other men, cab drivers were shoving cabs full at $5 - 10 a pop.

If you go, go with a tour that will pick you back up for sure!

Edited by hallsn3961

Is it very hard to get a taxi back to the ship from Grand Lucayan?

Is it better to buy a one way ticket or a round trip ticket to Grand Lucayan from the port?

No, it is not difficult at all. It will cost you $25 to get back.

No, it is not difficult at all. It will cost you $25 to get back.

I think I meant a collective van and not a taxi. The van is $5 each way but I was wondering how hard it is to get one back to the ship from Grand Lucayan.

Having tough time figuring out what to do for our short stay in Nassau (7am - 2pm) and am noticing this post. (At the moment, we are leaning towards Junkanoo beach as the OPs alternative). Haven't heard of Grand Lucayan before (only heard of Melia and British Colonial), but just looked at pictures and it looks lovely. Can someone tell me

1. How far is the taxi ride? (I see from above it's about $25)

2. What is the "special kids centre" that their website mentions?

3. Is it worth it if we are in port such a short time?

Having tough time figuring out what to do for our short stay in Nassau (7am - 2pm) and am noticing this post. (At the moment, we are leaning towards Junkanoo beach as the OPs alternative). Haven't heard of Grand Lucayan before (only heard of Melia and British Colonial), but just looked at pictures and it looks lovely. Can someone tell me

1. How far is the taxi ride? (I see from above it's about $25)

2. What is the "special kids centre" that their website mentions?

3. Is it worth it if we are in port such a short time?

The Junkanoo Beach in this thread is the one at Freeport. You're thinking of the Junkanoo Beach at Nassau.

Junkanoo Beach at Nassau is a nice little beach you can walk to from the ship.

Edited by pickler1

I think I meant a collective van and not a taxi. The van is $5 each way but I was wondering how hard it is to get one back to the ship from Grand Lucayan.

We went there a couple of times. We paid for the RT and were given a ticket to give to the driver. There seemed to be plenty of vans available. We headed back to the ship a couple of hours before we had to be there. Less stress worrying about it but I don't think it would have been an issue anyway. We'll probably be doing it again next month.

The Junkanoo Beach in this thread is the one at Freeport. You're thinking of the Junkanoo Beach at Nassau.

Junkanoo Beach at Nassau is a nice little beach you can walk to from the ship.

Oh...different places. Thanks for clarifying.

We will be in Freeport in May and was excited to read about Grand Lucayan in another post. Finally something to do in Freeport besides stay on the ship. :cool: So I have all the info printed out to put in our cruise folder and realized we will be in Freeport from 7-1:30. I don't think it's going to work out since one poster told me it's about 1/2 hour ride from ship to beach. Anyone have an opinion? TIA.

Basically, you have roughly 45 - 100 people or more trying to get cabs back to the port. We were staying at the Grand Lucayan for 4 days. We tried to get a cab back to our hotel and they wouldn't take us until all cruise people were picked up, no matter what order we got to the exit. We just decided to hang back, get a drink, and watch the chaos because it wasn't worth the drama.

Even that, cruise people were yelling and arguing about who got there first and screaming things like, "If you make us miss our ship, you're paying for our cruise you b**ch." Guys were yelling at other men, cab drivers were shoving cabs full at $5 - 10 a pop.

If you go, go with a tour that will pick you back up for sure!

Although the arguing over the cabs isn't a plus, you mention that the cabs were saying they were taking all the cruise people back to the ship first. I see this as a plus since we will be coming in by cruise ship and will need to get back quickly. :confused:

We will be in port such a short period that I'm wondering if it won't be as bad because we will probably be one of the first groups that need to leave (versus the others that might be on another ship and be staying?) Just wondering.

We will be in Freeport in May and was excited to read about Grand Lucayan in another post. Finally something to do in Freeport besides stay on the ship. :cool: So I have all the info printed out to put in our cruise folder and realized we will be in Freeport from 7-1:30. I don't think it's going to work out since one poster told me it's about 1/2 hour ride from ship to beach. Anyone have an opinion? TIA.

It's so hard to find something to do in this port isn't it? Ugh.

If it's a 1/2 hour ride 1 way, we port at 7am, say we get there around 8am. I would think we should leave there some time around 12? What do you think? (I'm thinking about Junakanoo just because it's cheaper for us to do, but this should apply to either place). At least that would give us 4 hours some place OTHER than the port. :(

Although the arguing over the cabs isn't a plus, you mention that the cabs were saying they were taking all the cruise people back to the ship first. I see this as a plus since we will be coming in by cruise ship and will need to get back quickly. :confused:

We will be in port such a short period that I'm wondering if it won't be as bad because we will probably be one of the first groups that need to leave (versus the others that might be on another ship and be staying?) Just wondering.

It's so hard to find something to do in this port isn't it? Ugh.

If it's a 1/2 hour ride 1 way, we port at 7am, say we get there around 8am. I would think we should leave there some time around 12? What do you think? (I'm thinking about Junakanoo just because it's cheaper for us to do, but this should apply to either place). At least that would give us 4 hours some place OTHER than the port. :(

Hey, we keep bumping into each other, don't we?? :p I'm thinking 8am would be the EARLIEST we would be able to debark and I don't know if I want to be sitting on a beach at 8:30-9:00 in the morning only to have to leave by noon to get back to the ship. And truth be told, 1/2 hour away seems like a long distance to me in Freeport. I am TERRIFIED of being "left behind." I just don't think for the $ and the time frame for being on the beach and the worry about getting back to the ship on time that it's worth it FOR ME. :confused:

Junkanoo Beach Resort in Freeport is further away from the port than the Grand Lucayan. The Junkanoo Beach that you can walk to from the port is in Nassau.

When you take the shared van from the port (in Freeport) to the Grand Lucayan they will drop you at Port Lucaya. This is where the shared van will pick you up. Pay attention to where you are dropped off and the times they tell you they will pick you back up. You won't be in a cab line at the Grand Lucayan Hotel. You will have a short walk to the security booth to purchase your day pass.

[/b][/u]

Hey, we keep bumping into each other, don't we?? :p I'm thinking 8am would be the EARLIEST we would be able to debark and I don't know if I want to be sitting on a beach at 8:30-9:00 in the morning only to have to leave by noon to get back to the ship. And truth be told, 1/2 hour away seems like a long distance to me in Freeport. I am TERRIFIED of being "left behind." I just don't think for the $ and the time frame for being on the beach and the worry about getting back to the ship on time that it's worth it FOR ME. :confused:

I know right? lol

I'm not sure about Carnival, but every time I have cruised the time they say we are "in" port is the time we usually get off. If we are to be in port at 7am, they usually pull in way before that and cleared customs by 7am so that people can start getting off the ship at that time. Is this not the case with Carnival? :eek:

I know right? lol

I'm not sure about Carnival, but every time I have cruised the time they say we are "in" port is the time we usually get off. If we are to be in port at 7am, they usually pull in way before that and cleared customs by 7am so that people can start getting off the ship at that time. Is this not the case with Carnival? :eek:

LOL....I really can't recall! I never really paid much attention because we have never gotten off the ship that early! Plus there are so many "variables." And again, really not sure I want to be sitting on a beach early in the morning. That is JUST ME. We are doing a B2B on Pride and the 2nd cruise will go to GT and HMC and those are our 2 favorite ports. GREAT beach time at both of them, so we are a bit lucky and if we decide not to go to Grand Lucayan, at least we have the other ports to look forward to. If we didn't have that, maybe I'd make a different decision. I have had 2 CLOSE CALLS getting back to the ship and I am terrified of having that happen again! :eek:

Junkanoo Beach Resort in Freeport is further away from the port than the Grand Lucayan. The Junkanoo Beach that you can walk to from the port is in Nassau.

When you take the shared van from the port (in Freeport) to the Grand Lucayan they will drop you at Port Lucaya. This is where the shared van will pick you up. Pay attention to where you are dropped off and the times they tell you they will pick you back up. You won't be in a cab line at the Grand Lucayan Hotel. You will have a short walk to the security booth to purchase your day pass.

Right, Junkanoo in Nassau is within walking distance, but we are not talking about Nassau, this is about the one in Freeport. The one at Freeport is a little further away from Grand Lucayan and cost $14 round trip (just a little more than going to Lucayan).

I'm worried about the previous poster staying about trying to get a cab back from Junakanoo. That's "my" only concern at the moment.

LOL....I really can't recall! I never really paid much attention because we have never gotten off the ship that early! Plus there are so many "variables." And again, really not sure I want to be sitting on a beach early in the morning. That is JUST ME. We are doing a B2B on Pride and the 2nd cruise will go to GT and HMC and those are our 2 favorite ports. GREAT beach time at both of them, so we are a bit lucky and if we decide not to go to Grand Lucayan, at least we have the other ports to look forward to. If we didn't have that, maybe I'd make a different decision. I have had 2 CLOSE CALLS getting back to the ship and I am terrified of having that happen again! :eek:

Yea, we will be going to HMC and GT as well...just I can never get enough beach time. :D I'd be there all day and night if I could. :eek: :p

I just hate the thought of going to port and not going and doing things and just hanging out in port. It almost defeats the purpose (for me) of going to ports and experiencing new places (but like I said, that's just me).

Right, Junkanoo in Nassau is within walking distance, but we are not talking about Nassau, this is about the one in Freeport. The one at Freeport is a little further away from Grand Lucayan and cost $14 round trip (just a little more than going to Lucayan).

I'm worried about the previous poster staying about trying to get a cab back from Junakanoo. That's "my" only concern at the moment.

Yea, we will be going to HMC and GT as well...just I can never get enough beach time. :D I'd be there all day and night if I could. :eek: :p

I just hate the thought of going to port and not going and doing things and just hanging out in port. It almost defeats the purpose (for me) of going to ports and experiencing new places (but like I said, that's just me).[/quote

Oh, okay. Sorry. I know our lst cruise is doing that SUPERB itinerary of Port Canaveral, Nassau and Freeport. :( The 2nd cruise is to GT, HMC and Nassau. I just assumed you were doing the SUPERB itinerary.

I don't mind staying on the ship. I LOVE the ship and it's cool being on an almost empty ship, but I do love my beach time also and Caribbean beaches are so awesome. I just don't like the time frame we have in Freeport, but if it's a super gorgeous day I might just go for a few hours and see what it's all about! Did you book the BW in Elkridge?