Single parent traveling to Bermuda on NCL.

txigrl928

We are traveling to Bermuda with my boyfriends 9 year old son on NCL in October. My boyfriend and his ex have joint custody of the boy with the agreement reading he has all final say on decisions regarding the boy and he resides with us. Do I need a consent to travel to Bermuda. Mom is going to buck us totally because she is mad over us suing her for support so she will refuse just to be an jerk. She is almost non existent and is living in another state. Not following the parenting plan and yada yada. I looked high and low to find an answer for this and can't please help me. :confused:

Having traveled with my son on 4 cruises while he was underage without his father, I always had a letter of consent with us.

It was not always asked for but I always made sure I had it.

Always had it notarized as well.

Isn't it better to have the letter from the parent not traveling and not be asked for it than to not have it and risk not being able to board the ship?

I'm hoping that's the case I'm going to see our Attorney on the 23rd and will check in with her. I realize I should have it and it's better to but she is not going to give it. But the agreement is clear. I'm hoping it's enough.

When are you traveling? Does the court order specify travel? Does BM know about the travel? Is he traveling on a passport? If she is vindictive there is lots she can do that can interfere with the trip.

You mentioned the court order says joint custody. Even though your boyfriend has physical custody, joint legal means she has a say although he has final that may not stand up. We have a clause after the statement joint physical custody but one home primary for school but that in the opinion of several organizations is that home is primary. It's messed up and can't be fixed without another court order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are traveling in October. Not sure about traveling. But it does say he has final say in all matters. I'm pretty sure she won't give a letter. But what do people do when one parent is just pretty much absent. I had not planned on getting him a passport because its a closed end cruise leaving from NY. I know most of the time they don't ask but Ill be the exception Im sure. She is about to be nailed for a huge amount of child support so will be pretty pissed off at us. She

You are not going to be able to get a passport without both parents consent either. I have sailed with my kids alone many times. I always bring the notarized letter, they never ask for it. Hopefully, that will be the case for you as well. Barring that, hopefully your attorney can help you with legal documentation to get the kid on the boat. I dealt with an uncooperative other parent myself, 2nd husband's ex, but even she was all over signing so her kids didn't miss the opportunity to cruise with us. Hopefully, your child's mother will put her grown up pants on and think of her son. Best of luck.

I hope so. But we literally have caught her with hers down and she will be paying big. Seems she has a new job as a professional prostitute at The Bunny Ranch in Reno. She is being brought to court this month and doesn't know we know about her career. She has been paying $50.00 per week and our lawyer is subpoenaing her 1099. Since she made Bunny of the month and has recently done a photo shoot for Penthouse. She can afford way more than that. When she finds out that we are taking this trip she will try to block it. Just out of spite. I may have to take her to court to get to take him. But we are trying to avoid that if possible.

I hope so. But we literally have caught her with hers down and she will be paying big. Seems she has a new job as a professional prostitute at The Bunny Ranch in Reno. She is being brought to court this month and doesn't know we know about her career. She has been paying $50.00 per week and our lawyer is subpoenaing her 1099. Since she made Bunny of the month and has recently done a photo shoot for Penthouse. She can afford way more than that. When she finds out that we are taking this trip she will try to block it. Just out of spite. I may have to take her to court to get to take him. But we are trying to avoid that if possible.

Sounds like you know the path ahead. Ask your lawyer to draft paperwork for the trip so that it is covered. (Interpretation of court order and child's dad being able to make the trip with him.). May also need to petition the court for authorization to get passport for him as a just in case so that you are not stuck should something happen unable to board a plane back to the US with him or waiting in Bermuda for permission from BM to issue the passport.

We've never been asked for the notarized letters on a cruise. Although doesn't mean somehow you won't be asked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hopefully she doesn't read CC.

Unless he has SOLE custody (she surrendered parental rights), you will need her consent. And you need both parents to get a passport. If she is as absent as you say, he needs to proceed with attempting to get sole custody.

And, on another note, I say get out of this mess while you still can.

Lol true. I'm pretty sure it will be ok and I'm over thinking it. But I want to be safe. Traveling with him, my elderly mom and my daughter and son in law and my autistic grandson. There will be so much going on I don't think little noah will even be noticed.

According to NCL's Travel document, it states that this form must be filled out if at least 1 parent is not traveling with the child. So didn't you say the child's father is going. Who has the original copy of the birth certificate. You do not necessarily need a passport for the child. Your best bet is to call NCL. I have had similar issues regarding children traveling with me, which also included my own son, who had his father's last name, not mine. Call NCL

Edited by crystalaziza

According to NCL's Travel document, it states that this form must be filled out if at least 1 parent is not traveling with the child. So didn't you say the child's father is going. Who has the original copy of the birth certificate. You do not necessarily need a passport for the child. Your best bet is to call NCL. I have had similar issues regarding children traveling with me, which also included my own son, who had his father's last name, not mine. Call NCL

NCL may not require it, but that doesn't mean they won't be asked at ports depending upon where they are traveling. I know that when I took dd on an Alaska cruise that stopped in Canada, I was advised to have a letter of authorization.

I say better safe than sorry - make sure you have your i's dotted and t's crossed, particularly if dealing with a vindictive ex spouse. I have sole legal custody and always bring a copy of the court order so that there is no question. Back before we had the final order, I had to get the judge to direct the ex to sign a stipulation allowing dd to travel with me. Not fun, but if you have to go before a judge to get permission, then do it. I would make the request first and have documentation that you tried to be reasonable. That way if you wind up in court, she'll look bad and perhaps even have to pay your legal fees (no guarantee there).

Good luck!

We are traveling to Bermuda with my boyfriends 9 year old son on NCL in October. My boyfriend and his ex have joint custody of the boy with the agreement reading he has all final say on decisions regarding the boy and he resides with us. Do I need a consent to travel to Bermuda. Mom is going to buck us totally because she is mad over us suing her for support so she will refuse just to be an jerk. She is almost non existent and is living in another state. Not following the parenting plan and yada yada. I looked high and low to find an answer for this and can't please help me. :confused:

Heyyyy girl!! Since you're going on the same cruise as us in October and since I have similar issues with my daughter and we have done a cruise before, I can help you out. I don't want to put my personal business and all that fun stuff on the thread so if you would like to talk private, let me know.

Edited by ashley_and_jason

• 2 months later...

My wife and I are cruising in October from NYC to Bermuda too. My daughters mother ran out on her at age 3 no call no show for 5 years. Showed up to be a mom for 6 months and gone again. I now live on PA mom is in Maine. I sent a form to my daughters grandmother who got the form to my daughters mom since I didn't have an address. She signed the form but sent no ID. The form was good for 90 days and I heard the ID is coming. Never came for me expires Tuesday. Is there a way around this form. Oh and my daughter's mother doesn't call her mom back. I got her address from the form and phone number from her grandmother. No luck. No custody paperwork because she was never around and now I feel like this will take to long custody paperwork wise. Please help.

From experience I can tell you, NCL will refuse to board you without the letter of consent. I have cruised with my son many, many times and have been asked for it twice.

Edited by lst

If you cannot get a letter of consent, I would at least get a "certified copy" of the Court order. You can get that from the court house where the decree was entered. Cost is usually less than 100. in most states for a certified copy of a court order. Good luck.

Terry

Check with the lawyer - it's all in how the custody agreement reads. If he says it OK, then I would get a letter authorizing that.

I took my daughter to see my in laws and was never asked until we landed in the states and went through immigration. They asked for the letter so you just never know.

Hi again

And you said you weren't getting him a passport, but I assume that means you have an original or certified birth certificate, right? I believe that is required for Bermuda.

Terry

From experience I can tell you, NCL will refuse to board you without the letter of consent. I have cruised with my son many, many times and have been asked for it twice.

I have cruised on NCL three times with my daughter (who has a passport) and have never been asked for any form or letter, or for any explanation.

Edited by KweezyCruiser

Legally, you MUST have written consent to take the child out of the country. If mom won't give it you can go to court for permission, but without it, the child is not likely to get on the ship.

Bring the agreement that says he has physical custody and makes all legal decisions, and you shouldn't need the notarized letter.

The above quote is incorrect. The fact that father has physical custody and makes legal decisions has no bearing on his ability to take the child out of the US without the mother's specific permission.

Edited by zqvol