number of "dressy" nights on NCL 7 nt Breakaway?

I find that quite insulting. Lots of cruise lines have formal nights, NCL does not.

You mention you sailed on the Gem 2 years ago. What other NCL ships have you sailed on? I see you are due to go on Breakaway and I do hope you don't get disappointed by the majority of "lazy people" on the "not formal" Norwegians night out.

Apologies if you find it insulting, but I stand by what I said. This is just how I view it, you do not have to agree. I've only been on the Gem, but there were a large number of people dressed up for the Norwegian's Night Out. Given what I've seen on this thread, I'm sure I will be disappointed by the number of peopled dressed up. That being said, the beauty of the ship and the number of things to do will more than make up for it.

All the 7 night cruises we have gone on previously had 2 dressy nights. This will be our first NCL cruise and from reading their website it looks like there will only be ONE dressy night (plus a White Hot Night). Is this correct? My family wants to dress up so it will be exceedingly helpful to know if we need to pack formal clothes for one night or two.

Thank you in advance for your helpfulness!

Okay, so to sort of give you a final answer. There is no "official" formal night where you won't be allowed in the MDR. There is a "Norwegian's Night Out" where NCL tried to encourage everyone to coordinate dressing nice that night, but it's not required. There is no White Hot party on the Breakaway, it is a glow party. Looks fun. Have a great time.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello op, take what you want to wear. They often do glow instead of white so I take a white outfit and a glow scarf and hits all the markers. We've done 12 ncl cruises and have stopped taking the dress up extras as we find that it's less weight in the luggage but always take for Christmas or new year ones. If you do get dressy you will fund some others have dine the same. Last year when we did take it, my son wore trousers and waistcoat (vest) and I did a knee length dress and we didn't feel overdressed

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

I'm Platinum on NCL but have done the majority of my cruising on Oceania (169 nights so far) and two cruises on Regent. None of them have formal nights. NCL has "dress up or not" nights and Regent has "formal optional" nights, while Oceania has no formal nights at all, optional or not. On all three cruise lines, I follow "country club casual" or "elegant casual" at dinner -- which are defined as long trousers (khakis or Dockers OK) and collared shirt (Polo or golf shirts OK for men, skirt or pants (no shorts) and a "nice" top for ladies, and no rubber or plastic sandals for anyone. No sports coat is required at any time on any of the three cruise lines, but if I have room in my luggage (we usually travel with carry-ons only), I might bring a sports coat if I think the dining rooms will be chilly, but never (and I mean never) a tie. I have dined with the Captain on Oceania and Regent with no sports coat. That dress code, by the way, is identical with the one in the larger, more elegant dining room on NCL ships, with the exception that NCL permits jeans.

More and more cruise lines are adopting the more casual dress code; it's absolutely no laziness, it's comfort on a vacation. By the way, all the folks following the above dress code look nice.

On all three cruise lines (now sister cruise lines), dressing more formally is obviously not forbidden. On NCL they call it Freestyle; there is no name for it on Oceania and Regent.

I agree with those who say a guys with sports coats or suit and tie are no more than 25% of NCL guests, on the other two lines, sports coats might be a higher percentage on some nights, but ties are a far lower percentage. I once saw a couple in true formal wear on Regent, and I once saw two men in tuxedos on Oceania -- I mistook them for maitre 'ds.

For those who choose to dress up on NCL, remember that the guy next to you in the more elegant dining room might be wearing jeans, and in the other dining room might be wearing shorts and tee shirt. If that floats your boat, then go ahead and play dress-up. It's Freestyle.

Gotta tell you, I couldn't disagree more. I have to dress up every day when I go to work, as does my wife. I'm on vacation to unwind and have a good time and lugging around a suit or tuxedo for me or a gown for my wife doesn't appeal to me.

Lazy? Don't think so...

Jim

Exactly. I'm on holiday so want to dress comfortably and that is part of NCL's angle - freestyle. I would never want to pack suits and ties for a holiday unless I'm attending a wedding perhaps. If compulsory formal wear is what you like then there's the Cunard's etc of this world that will cater for that.

But I also have utmost respect for people who do dress up on ships. That is what they like and fair play to them.

Just to give you a heads up, 75%-80% of people dress up on the formal night (Norwegian's Night Out). While it is not official, and they won't not allow you in the MDR like they do on other lines, it is still just as big of a deal. Literally the only difference is the being allowed in the MDR.

My advice- get fancy and enjoy it!

Our first cruise was on Royal Caribbean to Bermuda (5 days, one formal night). At our table, there was one middle-aged man who came to dinner every night dressed in shorts and a t-shirt. On formal night he came dressed in casual pants and a nicer t-shirt. We were told that staff could not turn away anyone from the main dining room, so the dress code could not be enforced. I felt awkward. Everyone else at the table (including the guy's wife) were all dressed very elegantly.

On our last Carnival cruise, only about half of the people in the main dining room dressed up for formal night. And it was more cocktail dresses for the ladies and a coat and tie for the men.

Just to give you a heads up, 75%-80% of people dress up on the formal night (Norwegian's Night Out). While it is not official, and they won't not allow you in the MDR like they do on other lines, it is still just as big of a deal. Literally the only difference is the being allowed in the MDR.

My advice- get fancy and enjoy it!

Completely inaccurate. Almost 90% of people do not dress any differently on that night than they do on all of the other nights. Walking around the ship you normally can't tell that it is the formal night.

Agreed :-) It takes a few extra minutes to dress up, and looks really nice. When everyone gets onboard (no pun intended) with a theme night like "formal night", it makes it a ton of fun. I attitube the downfall in course to laziness of people.

Sorry, I can't let that one go. This attitude really bugs me.

I am not going to spend any time doing something isn't required, that adds nothing to my enjoyment and means having to pack more. One of the reasons why I cruise with NCL is so that I don't have to get involved with that sort of thing.

That isn't being lazy, its just basic common sense.

Whenever these questions are asked, the Norwegian Night Out is described by many as being the NCL equivalent to a Formal Night.

However, dressing up is a very minor part of the night. On many cruises, there is no mention of dressing up at all in the details about it.

It is a very long way from being anything like a Formal Night.

To me I amazed that anyone on a vacation wants to put on a sport jacket or more. It has nothing to with being lazy, I'm on vacation I want to relax and be as comfortable as possible. Typically I wear shorts and either a golf shirt or Tommy Bahama shirt, I look neat and clean. But I have no interest in getting dressed up because of some romantic notion of what cruising should be and once was.

Agreed :-) It takes a few extra minutes to dress up, and looks really nice. When everyone gets onboard (no pun intended) with a theme night like "formal night", it makes it a ton of fun. I attitube the downfall in course to laziness of people.

Time to reevaluate you thought process here.

People used to dress up when they traveled with five pieces of luggage each that they didn't have to pay to check. With luggage costs and weight restrictions everyone travels lighter, long gone are the days of taking steamer trunks or huge suitcases.

Most people travel light and simply don't have room for dress clothes, it has nothing to do with laziness.

I would suggest that you would probably better fit on Seaborne or Cunard.

Okay, so to sort of give you a final answer. There is no "official" formal night where you won't be allowed in the MDR. There is a "Norwegian's Night Out" where NCL tried to encourage everyone to coordinate dressing nice that night, but it's not required. There is no White Hot party on the Breakaway, it is a glow party. Looks fun. Have a great time.
IMO there is one reason NCL instituted "Dress-Up or Not Night," and that is to sell more photographs.