Southern Caribbean (Best ports to visit)

We are going to be sailing the southern caribbean for the first time and have the choice between two itineraries.

First one is San Juan, St Thomas, St Kitts, Cruising Day, Aruba, Curacau, Cruising Day and back to San Juan.

Second one is San Juan, St Croix, St Maarten, Antigua, St Lucia, Barbados, Cruising Day and back to San Juan.

We have been to St Thomas and St Maarten multiple times but never to the other ports of call.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Not a reply but saw your post and we are doing both of these as B2Bs in July so I, too, am interested in what people think of each set of ports.

I've stayed on St. Lucia and I can say it is a very safe island.

Hi RoyalMuskegon---I'm actually in Muskegon too and getting ready to fly to SJ (out of GR) for our Adventure cruise March 8th. We'll be doing the St Croix, St Maarten, Antigua, St Lucia, Barbados and will be first time there for us. But in 2013 we did the other and visited St Thomas, St Kitts, Aruba, Curacau. We loved these islands. Did rainforest hike on St Kitts using Gregs Safari which was great. Rode trikes around Aruba and had a blast and did a party bus tour on Curacau. You can't go wrong with these islands. Hoping the stops on our upcoming cruise are equally as nice. I can let you know when we return.

Gary

Hi RoyalMuskegon---I'm actually in Muskegon too and getting ready to fly to SJ (out of GR) for our Adventure cruise March 8th. We'll be doing the St Croix, St Maarten, Antigua, St Lucia, Barbados and will be first time there for us. But in 2013 we did the other and visited St Thomas, St Kitts, Aruba, Curacau. We loved these islands. Did rainforest hike on St Kitts using Gregs Safari which was great. Rode trikes around Aruba and had a blast and did a party bus tour on Curacau. You can't go wrong with these islands. Hoping the stops on our upcoming cruise are equally as nice. I can let you know when we return.

Gary

We did the exact opposite, we did the one you are going on now in 2013. This is the trip where we fell in Love with St. Croix and went back to visit on a land trip. In St. Croix we rented electric cars and just toured the area around the pier. We loved all of the islands but our second favorite was St. Lucia. On that island we did a bus and catamaran snorkeling trip. It was great.

My plan is to go do the other itinerary soon.

Everyone has their favorites. I can't think of a bad S. Caribbean port.

Basically, there are two different itineraries on a 7 day sailing. One stops at Barbados, the other stops at Aruba and Curacao. Most ships sailing from SJ over the years alternate itineraries between the two itineraries.

If you can afford the time off and extra expense, I would highly encourage you to consider a b2b from San Juan. We've done it and loved it.

Hello from Kalamazoo! We will be doing the 5 stop itinerary in 4 days, and the 4 stop itinerary in 200 days. Can't go wrong with either, the 5 day is more active, 4 day will be more relaxing. Check out the "ports" section for comments on excursions. The 5 day is more tropical mountainous , Aruba and caracao are more desert and flat.

We have been to most of the ports listed and would choose the itinerary with Aruba and Curacao as we are very fond of those islands. Both offer lots of beach and land excursions as well as interesting ports.

Willemstad, Curacao is, in our opinion, a beautiful walking city with many historic sites.

Aruba has some beautiful beaches, including Palm and Eagle.

I would do the 2nd one. We didn't like Aruba at all and couldn't see why people thought it was such a great Island. It is the one Island that we decided we would probably just stay on the ship. We are not beach people and it seemed that if you liked the beach you were okay but if not oh well. But to each his own.

tigercat

We have been on 4 14-day cruises to the Southern Caribbean..........and now are actually burning out a bit and not enthusiastic to travel to FL from NC for another.

Only 2 of those cruises stopped at St. Croix and I have to say that is one of my favorites because the area is low key and not populated by the usual souvenir stands and local crap (from China). There is lots of sea glass on St. Croix right at the end of the pier and the small beer and snack restaurants remind me of what a Caribbean beach should be. St. Lucia and St. Maarten are our other favorites. In Grenada, how many spice tours do you really want to go on? In Aruba, how many people actually buy anything in those super expensive high end shops? If you are a beach person you will likely be happy at any of those stops........but we live on the beach in NC so we go for local color and history not baking in the sun that we can do anytime........in the summer of course.

If you haven't been to the islands before you will enjoy all of them for each of their merits. Repeat trips get a bit boring however