Seattle pre-cruise questions

ute_fan

A couple of questions as we recently booked a cruise on the NCL Pearl on 5/17.

First off -- lodging. Any comments on the Residence Inn in Tukwila? I've got some Marriott points to use, but not enough for the downtown hotels and am wondering about this one.

Second -- transportation from whatever hotel I decide on to Pier 66. I've looked at the shuttle service but wondered if there's any problem with it being too full. We may or may not have 4 of us staying at the same hotel. If we do, is there a different option that would make more sense?

Thanks for your help!

A couple of questions as we recently booked a cruise on the NCL Pearl on 5/17.

First off -- lodging. Any comments on the Residence Inn in Tukwila? I've got some Marriott points to use, but not enough for the downtown hotels and am wondering about this one.

If you're just staying one night and going right to the pier the next day, it's probably okay. But if you're hoping to do some sight-seeing while you're staying there, it's not a great location--hard to get back and forth into town from there. It's probably billed as an airport hotel--most of them over on West Valley Highway do that--but that's a stretch. It's over four miles from the airport, which is a hub for other transportation (like Light Rail). There's nothing much within close walking distance (although Southcenter mall is about a mile away and there are lots of restaurants there). It's close to the Tukwila Sounder commute train stop, but don't confuse that with Light Rail--there are far fewer trains and they only run at commute hours. The hotel probably has a shuttle, which might take you to the mall or the Tukwila Light Rail station. Otherwise, unless you have a car, you'll be a little stranded and dependent on cabs. The area is probably safe enough--it's not populated enough not to be!

If you're going to be there for a day or two and want to go into central Seattle for the days, the Fairfield Inn on International Boulevard might be a better choice. It would be easier to get to the Light Rail from there.

I stayed at the hilton right at the airport (walked there from the airport and there is a light rail station there as well. went up to a Mariners game). Then went back to the airport the next morning and grabbed a shuttle to the pier. (I went on the Pearl as well in Sept 2013). If you are just going to be there for a night and only want/need a bed to lay your head on for the night and then sail I wouldn't waste hotel points on a room. I tend to save mine for stays in expensive cites (i'm banking my hilton points for a week in London next year. :D )

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been to Seattle 3 or 4 times, but not enough to have a really good idea on where things are located. We stayed at the Fairfield once before and had issues (room on our floor quarantined and lack of linens that required multiple phone calls to get more), so I won't be staying there. I'll keep looking and see what else is closer.

We're only there for one night but may want to take the light rail into downtown, so I need to take that into consideration. I've been earning Marriott points traveling on business to one of our corporate locations, but will not longer be going there much, and the other locations I go to don't have Marriott's as part of our options.

If there are 4 of you, Seattle Express is $12pp to the pier if you're staying at one of their partner hotels, so $48. STILA towncar has the airport contract and their kiosk says $45 to downtown. Then you won't have to worry about the shuttle schedule .. you can leave when you're ready. On the 17th you could take the free hotel shuttle to the airport then use Stila.

Might be worthwhile to take the towncar to the pier in the morning, store your luggage for $3per bag and have 4-5 hours to sightsee. ( There's a Marriott across the street from the pier and next door to it is an elevator that will take you up the hill to within a couple of blocks of the Market. And from the MArket you can walk 3 blocks to Westlake and catch the monorail to Seattle Center/ Space Needle. )

http://www.portseattle.org/Sea-Tac/Parking-and-Transportation/Ground-Transportation/Pages/Taxis-and-Limos.aspx

Edited by mapleleaves