Comparison of HAL and Princess: the non-essentials

Ruth, thank you so much for the comparison. Coincidentally, will be on the Grand for a short cruise the week after next, and we will be on the Maasdam this summer for Canada/New England. Your comparison gave me a great idea of what to expect with each!

While there are pluses & minuses to each cruise, we've enjoyed every cruise we've taken on both Princess & HAL. We've been on the Grand before, but that was more than 10 years ago, and we realize that things are likely to be much different than last time. We are in a suite (for the first time!) on our short Grand cruise, so naturally we'll be in for a bit of a letdown when we sail on the Maasdam in our Lanai cabin.

In any case, we are very much looking forward to both cruises!

Beverly

Beverly, I think the main thing to remember is that I compared non-essentials, as my small contribution to CC and all the great information I've gleaned about essentials.

I really only found the hard sell a bit much and would consider this as a factor -- however minor when booking again.

Like you we've enjoyed every single on of our cruises.

Ruth

Must just be the Grand for pushing items.

I was on the Crown last week and never once had anyone approach us in dining room. Just walked by the photographers with no problem

Maybe because we had anytime dining??

I'm on the Grand for a 10 day in April............. Usually nothing bothers me, but I am getting concerned about all the negativity:(

But alas....Hollands plans are to build bigger and bigger... that's leaves me out I wont sail on a ship anymore that's over 1200 passengers

We haven't seen your thread for a while about your Sea Princess cruise next January and wonder if you cancelled because you decided the ship was too big (1,998 passengers)??

Just curious, since I see you posting on boards about Princess..have you sailed on Princess? I see your opinions on it, but I don't see Princess in your signature.

Is size.... for the most part a princess cruise ship is about 50% more people, and second Holland is geared to a different sort of passenger.

Princess I think targets the value conscious travelers, families and younger travelers; People who want something better than Carnival, but stll save while getting better service

Holland attracts a much older more formal person who is not seeking flash and constant recreation. No movies under the stars for example because most would not be interested. Few pool games, More people who enjoy quiet time entertaining themselves Cabins are much larger. Way less children

Final a way better laid out ship that has a more nautical feel

But alas....Hollands plans are to build bigger and bigger... that's leaves me out I wont sail on a ship anymore that's over 1200 passengers.

Royal viking , a few times ..

Regent Seven Seas, a few times..

Oceania,... a few times..

Holland America...a few times..

Celebrity..a few times

NCl...a few times

CRATE..a few times