Snacks from ship for snorkel? Ideas?

Clearwater

We are booking a snorkel which lasts about 5 hours. It seems like they provide an open bar and "snacks". From what I have read, the snacks consist of an open bowl of pretzels with a bunch of hands digging in.

Sooo, what can I take from off the ship that won't get confiscated taking it off the boat? Can we pack a sandwich? I have an igloo straw beach bag I can pack to keep things cool so that isn't a concern. I figured we can't bring fruit off of the ship, but no idea what other items to bring. I thought I about bringing snacks from home, crackers, turkey jerkey, etc..

I can't snorkel and swim and drink for 5 hours without food lol

Edited by Clearwater

We bring boxed cereal from the ship. Nutrigrain bars and hard candy from home.

Many countries have reg about bringing food onshore. Including produce and meat.

Nothing off the ship that is not pre-packaged. Many ports - especially Mexico will have dogs to sniff out fresh food items. Why not bring some snacks from home with you? A box of granola bars fit nicely in a suitcase.

Can I ask a silly question regarding no sandwiches- I dont bring any food off on ports but am curious as I have seen it said a few times no sandwiches. In the buffet at breakfast I see a section where people are making sandwiches- deli meat, cheese and bread.

I thought they were making them to take off the ship at port.. no? Just people not knowing the rules or that many eating sandwiches for breakfast?

In the buffet at breakfast I see a section where people are making sandwiches- deli meat, cheese and bread.

I thought they were making them to take off the ship at port.. no? Just people not knowing the rules or that many eating sandwiches for breakfast?

Some may have been eating them for breakfast. Were they putting things like eggs, bacon, etc on them at all? Probably most were planning to take them off the ship though either because they don't know the rules like you said or more likely, they know it's against the rules but they just don't care. Sad but true. :(

Bring from home small bags of trail mix, prepacked crackers/cheese/peanut butter. They don't weigh much and are good sources of protein, Beef jerky? I've seen big garbage cans that were filled with bananas and other fruit that were confiscated when you leave the ship. It's a big waste of food.

A thousand years ago Carnival used to make "to go" bags of acceptable take away items. I wonder if you might be able to contact room service to see if they could make something for you. We tend to travel with Kind bars or Clif bars (not the ones with chocolate, though, the ones that are mostly fruit and nuts) because they don't melt and really do the "I need some food" trick.

Clearwater .... We've been on lots of 5 hour snorkeling excursions over the years. Always have had some decent filling snacks provided by the operator like cheese & crackers, fruit, small sandwiches, etc.:)

You can take whatever you wish as long as it is unopened and packaged & sealed by the manufacturer.

Have FUN snorkeling! :D

LuLu

As other cruisers have mentioned, we always take a box of granola or cliff bars. There is nothing more miserable than being on a long excursion and getting tremendously hungry before you can get back to the ship for a meal. Everyone gets grumpy, or gets headaches, and nobody is happy. I can't think of any other pre-packaged foods on the ship besides the cereal (unless you buy something in the fun shops at VERY inflated prices).

Can I ask a silly question regarding no sandwiches- I dont bring any food off on ports but am curious as I have seen it said a few times no sandwiches. In the buffet at breakfast I see a section where people are making sandwiches- deli meat, cheese and bread.

ever pay attention to the containers full of food when exiting off the ship?

most is confiscated. some gets through.

Tuna in pouches

meals to go lunches that kids bring for lunch at school (red & Yellow boxes can't remember name) but has crackers, lunch meat, cheese, etc.

sliced apples in bags with carmel dip

pkged meats, canned sausage

single serving fruit from dairy section,

applesauce, jello, pudding in single serving sizes usually 4-6 to a box

Quaker Oats big breakfast bar