Full day tour after overnight flight

Has anyone done a full day tour after their overnight flight? We are arriving 2 days prior to cruise early in the am and thinking of the full day tour of city highlights and trip to Montserrat. We would just relax in the evening. Then we will have the next day to rest in morning and go back to inside of Sagrada Familia and just wander around some and get a good nights sleep before boarding the ship the next day.

When we've traveled to Europe before, we have always done some touring right after we arrive, hoping to adjust to their time zone. Just not sure if an 8-hr tour is too much. The good part is, my husband won't be driving so he can actually enjoy the sights.

Has anyone done a full day tour after their overnight flight? We are arriving 2 days prior to cruise early in the am and thinking of the full day tour of city highlights and trip to Montserrat. We would just relax in the evening. Then we will have the next day to rest in morning and go back to inside of Sagrada Familia and just wander around some and get a good nights sleep before boarding the ship the next day.

When we've traveled to Europe before, we have always done some touring right after we arrive, hoping to adjust to their time zone. Just not sure if an 8-hr tour is too much. The good part is, my husband won't be driving so he can actually enjoy the sights.

After a flight that long I wouldn't even consider an 8 or 4 hour tour that day.

Edited by Kamloops50

After an overnight flight from the U.S., we usually go off on our own to see things (hotel room is rarely ready), have lunch, wander around, and usually by 2-3 PM feel a bit like zombies. A short rest is in order. We've done the full day tour of Barcelona/Montserrat (during a port call),and that's a good bit to bite off after a red eye from the U.S. But only you know how zonked you feel in the afternoon following such a flight. If you think you can handle it...

Is this your first trip to Barcelona? Because if it is, you might seriously consider skipping Montserrat and concentrating on Barcelona itself, given your limited time there. Or what about going out to Montserrat on your second day, when you are more rested?

Whatever you decide, have a great time!

We are thinking of doing the 4 hour Barcelona city tour after our overnight flight, then brought to hotel. Next day (Sunday) , on our own, with the flamenco dinner. Then Monday, the 8 hour tour. Tuesday, we get on the cruise.

They say the best way to beat jetlag is to stay awake until bedtime in the place you traveled to. We did this in Rome and we did really well. We did go to bed a little early but not by much. Also sleep as much as you can on the flight. Enjoy!

we are in the same situation....arriving early morning and we have booked a half day tour ending up at our hotel mid afternoon. Then a brief nap and out to dinner. I wouldn't even try a full day tour. We figured at least we will have a driver; I know it would be much harder trying to walk around for 5 hours until our room is ready. But I'm hoping that we will be able to sleep even a little bit on the plane.

we are in the same situation....arriving early morning and we have booked a half day tour ending up at our hotel mid afternoon. Then a brief nap and out to dinner. I wouldn't even try a full day tour. We figured at least we will have a driver; I know it would be much harder trying to walk around for 5 hours until our room is ready. But I'm hoping that we will be able to sleep even a little bit on the plane.

Something to think about: One of the best ways to reset you body clock is to expose yourself to daylight. I know you're thinking of the driver as a way to conserve your energy and I can't disagree. But that will cut down on your exposure to sunlight and, frankly, I'd fall asleep as the car drove from place to place. That would defeat the goal of trying to get my body on the schedule at my destination.

If this is a strategy that has worked for you in the past, then stick with your plan. If this is a first trip to Europe, consider spending more time strolling and, if you really believe you'll need time off your feet, consider riding on the open air upper level of a HOHO bus.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Something to think about: One of the best ways to reset you body clock is to expose yourself to daylight. I know you're thinking of the driver as a way to conserve your energy and I can't disagree. But that will cut down on your exposure to sunlight and, frankly, I'd fall asleep as the car drove from place to place. That would defeat the goal of trying to get my body on the schedule at my destination.

If this is a strategy that has worked for you in the past, then stick with your plan. If this is a first trip to Europe, consider spending more time strolling and, if you really believe you'll need time off your feet, consider riding on the open air upper level of a HOHO bus.

Thanks....our tour is not all driving...we're going to Montserrat. I completely agree with you on daylight exposure. And getting out in the fresh air. I just know that if we tried to simply walk around (or even go on the HOHO...I'd fall asleep for sure!) we'd be zombies very quickly. A few years ago we had an early arrival in Madrid (after transatlantic flight) and we decided to go directly to hotel and then walk to the Prado. There was no way we could do the museum justice in our half-asleep state! And we were a lot younger then.

• 2 weeks later...

Jetlag affects different people in different ways, I find that I'm full of beans after an overnight eastbound flight, jetlag doesn't set in until late in the day or even next day.

But since you're not me & you've flown to Europe before, you're probably your own best judge.

Irishcropper - are you sure your keyboard's not set to that damned-stupid "predictive text"? :D

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

we've always gone full days after over night flight even though i never sleep on planes. We go head on and generally die down after a good dinner and into a good night sleep ready for next day right on local time.

They say the best way to beat jetlag is to stay awake until bedtime in the place you traveled to. We did this in Rome and we did really well. We did go to bed a little early but not by much. Also sleep as much as you can on the flight. Enjoy!

This is our approach. We usually find that we are pumped up on arriving in a new city. In the morning our hotel wasn't ready anyway, although they did store our luggage. Last year we started in Venice. Our flight landed at 9am and we did not turn in until almost midnight. We spent the next day in Venice also. The following day was a sea day so we caught up then.

We have the same situation. We have 2 days in Barcelona before our cruise. Our overnight flight arrives at 9 am May 9th. We checked with our hotel and they will look after our luggage if our room is not ready. So we decided to do our own thing on day of arrival, and are doing a full day tour including Montserrat on the second day.

I agree everyone deals with jetlag differently. I find I am usually so excited when I arrive in a new City that I can't wait to get out and explore. It usually catches up with me a few days later.