Alaska cruise help

ibeplato

Hi All,

We're investigating an August 2016 Alaska cruise, planning to depart from Vancouver or Seattle, take a 7 day cruise, end up in Skagway, take the train from Seward to Anchorage, then fly to visit family in Kodiak for a few days before heading home. We are two adults in our late 40's and two younger teenage boys.

After several hours reading this board I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the cruise choices and am looking for guidance on choosing the 'right' ship/cruise line. We've sailed with Disney several times, but I'm steering away from Disney on this trip because we want to experience Alaska, not Disney, and because the other cruise lines seem to be significantly cheaper.

Ideally I'd love a ship with an indoor pool, good food, and good opportunities for excursions. Some sort of nature program would be ideal. we'll probably book a window room since the wife hates balconies.

Is there any real big difference between the lines, or should we just pick from those that offer our desired route?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Edited by ibeplato

All ships will have opportunities for excursions....you're probably better off if you research your ports, (a guidebook is the best!) and do it on your own....but if you don't want to do the legwork, all ships offer PLENTY of excursions for your spending pleasure!

For Alaska...pick by the routes/itinerary. The ship is but transportation. All will have food. Not all will have indoor pools, tho....I don't swim when my body is white...ick.

... Is there any real big difference between the lines, or should we just pick from those that offer our desired route?

IMHO, the mainstream lines are more alike than different, so pick by itinerary. Princess and HAL have a significant presence in Alaska, I'd give them more weight if you're doing a cruisetour. Since you're not doing that, it doesn't matter. It doesn't look like either have their 2016 Alaska schedules out yet though, so you may want to wait a bit. It looks like Carnival, NCL, and Celebrity have their schedules out.

You'd need to check if the specific ship you're interested in has a covered pool or not. I know some Princess ships do, some don't, so there's no general rule.

If you want to disembark the ship in Seward, you will have to board in Vancouver. The Seattle departures can only do round-trips. Pesky PVSA law. Technically, you could do a round-trip from Seward, probably not what you're looking for.

Edited by CantanaLobo

I have cruised Alaska 18 times and worked in Alaska at one of the Princess lodges. As others have said the ship is just transportation Alaska will be the important part of the cruise. Princess and Holland America have been to Alaska the most. Holland America will have a more mellow and older crowd. Due to the type of power hookups Princess has you are more likely to be guaranteed to dock at a pier and not tender to shore. Some ships stop in Seward and some in Whittier in either case you can take the train to Anchorage. There are great tours to take in every port either by any of the cruise lines or on your own.

All cruise lines will do a great job in Alaska my personal preference is Princess. Each port will have plenty to do for you and your kids.