US Money

lopac

Not sure about those cities but when we were in Victoria, BC and Vancouver they did. We also put everything on our credit card, they did the conversions for us but also charged us a nominal % for this service. Also, it's a good thing to call your cc company and tell them you're going to Canada and to expect charges. They called our house while we were gone to verify it was us and not fraud. We are going again next weekend and I'm calling my cc company Tuesday. Have a great time.

Your regular US ATM card will most likely work in Canada - give it a try. I would suggest you use an ATM from a 'real' bank though - not the little small in the wall things - they charge extra.

A lot of grocery stores etc will accept US cash - in fact in Vancouver the tills are set up to take either form of currency, but it will be at a premium (i.e. you loose a lot because they have to go the trouble of having to exchange it at the bank) - and even if you pay in US cash, they will refund you in Canadian cash.

At the end of the day though, it is generally easier/cheaper to just use your credit card - you tend to be able to use your credit card for absolutely anythere here unlike in many other countries.

NEVER use your credit card to withdraw cash though - it is extremely expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

Only Americans insist on using their currency in a foreign country. Yes most Canadian merchants will accept U.S. Dollars...but your exchange rate will not be favourable. I suggest you exchange a small quantity at a currency exchange or withdraw at a ATM machine. Uisng the colourful Canadian currency will be appreciated and you will not appear to be a tacky American tourist.

That really was not nice to call americans tacky. I live in Canada and in a tourist area and most merchants love the sight of american money, they give a less favorable exchange rate and make a profit.

It's not because americans wish to "always use their currency" it just may be simpler for them, and while we here in Canada they can easily exchange currency, depending on where they live, they might not have such an easy time changing it back to their own currency. Really not nice and encourging for americans to visit and enjoy Canada.

How would you feel if americans were to call us canadians tacky? for something similar?

I hope you know that not all candians feel this way.

Sessa and Moose, please unbunch your panties. Satisfaction did not call Americans tacky. Satisfaction suggested that the poster should not appear as a "tacky American tourist". As opposed to the non-tacky American Tourists.

We do have tacky folks amongst us, as well as non-tacky folks. When you go to a foreign country and refuse to do things their way, well, you're tacky.

It just makes good business sense to accept foreign currency if you are trying to cultivate that market. I know that many of the small American towns that hug the Canadian border accept Canadian currency.

The farther inland you get from the border the less likely you are to have your currency accepted. It is the same in Canada, US and Mexico.

Brian

Nitemare is correct. I was only trying to give lopac a heads up when travelling in Canada or any other country for that matter. It is true that American Tourists suffer a negative image in many countries around the world. You will gain more respect if you use the local currency. Avoid questions like:

How much is that in American?

What is the temperature in Fahrenheit?

How far is it in miles?

We hear questions like this all the time and it is very refreshing when we encounter Americans who have attempted to understand the metric system and use our currency. Every country in the world has now gone metric (except U.S. and Haiti) so you would do well to understand this simple system. Also....the last letter in the alphabet is prounced "zed" in every English speaking country in the world except U.S. We have provinces not states. We have a Prime Minsister not a President. If you understand these things you will show more a savvy.

No offence was intended.

Glad to hear that Satisfaction, don't know if lopac was affended but.... Some of my really good friends are Americans and I would say I find Americans very hospitible people and always enjoy there company. There is good and bad in all countries and some close to home embarass the heck out of me:o As far as temperature and currency... well not everyone carry's a calculator and the dollar is always changing, I guess I am just not a math wiz. I actually find it fun exchanging all our current events and so on with Americans, it can make for some great conversation.

I'm sorry if I came across as harsh Satisfaction, but I have some really good American friends and I hate it when they are criticized for just being who they are because when we travel to the USA we are always received politely usually with "we love Canada". It's very true that the boarder USA towns will accept canadian currencey some at par when the exchange is favorable. One grocery on the US sidenear the boarder has the cash registers set up to give you the price in either US or CDN and can even make CDN change.

Of course it's nice if people can exchange money before and know stuff, but I've been to the USA and needed to change some money in a small town and had to take a lot of time at a local bank to do it as it wasn't as available as the closer cities or more tourist frequented areas, so can understand if people don't want to get stuck with foreign currency (any foreign currency as they may have difficulty not to mention loose money on rexchanging).

I personally for one don't think that every american tourist who comes here needs to know celcius vs f, km vs miles unless they are driving of course, meters vs yards, it's a vacation, if they are coming to live here, that's another whole ball game, but for a few days or even maybe 1 or 2 days in many cases for a cruise or even a half day, I don't honestly see the need to know all this stuff. Does that mean that when we go down we won't say eh?

If I go to the UK will I change my speach to call cigs fags, or the bathroom the loo? To say they need to say zed instead of z, I don't understand this at all since I know what they mean.

Again, no offense Satisfaction and sorry if I sound harsh, just don't see the need. I really don't mean to offend anyone especially Satisfaction, I see your point, just voicing my pesonal opinion as I respect yours very much and everyone elses here.

• 5 weeks later...

US Money is accepted in most big centres close to the border so I would think Montreal and Quebec City would be no problem. Most hotels, restaurants and shops take US money and you will see a lot of shops posting signs showing what the exchange they use will be that day. At issue though is the exchange. You'll probably get a better exchange using your credit card for purchases or withdrawing Canadian money from ATMs with your US bank cards. My American visitors usually end up with a little of both for their trips here.

• 3 months later...

Everywhere we went in Canada on our Canada/New England cruise accepted American money. Whatever the price is, you pay that amount in dollars, since the tax is 15% and the rate is 85 cents to the dollar it adds up to $1. Very easy!

• 2 weeks later...

Well,

Even if you can't read, you can tell the denomination of Cdn bills by the colour. I can't tell you how much of a profit I've made at some American banks (specifically Bank of America) where I've gone in to change a few hundred bucks and instead of getting a few 10s, there were a pleasing amount of 100s over what I had expected. I didn't realize until I was 60 miles down the interstate. Yeah right and don't tell me I'm driving back either. The problem is not just Bank of America, as I've benefitted more than I care to remember (Los Angeles, Minneapolis, Miami, Phoenix to name a few). This is the problem when all the bills are the same colour. It sure pays to know the past Presidents of the United States.

For all our American neighbours, you want to make sure that you don't take home a pocketful of Loonies and Toonies as you can't exchange change...only bills. Well for everyone's info it has been bantered about that Canada may eventually go the way of the old Deutschmark so that the smallest denomination bill will be $10. Yup that means Canada might be getting $5 coins, but I think you're safe for a few yrs yet, so keep on spending, cause when we head south we'll bring them home anyway.

Ciao for now!!!

Well,

Even if you can't read, you can tell the denomination of Cdn bills by the colour. I can't tell you how much of a profit I've made at some American banks (specifically Bank of America) where I've gone in to change a few hundred bucks and instead of getting a few 10s, there were a pleasing amount of 100s over what I had expected. I didn't realize until I was 60 miles down the interstate. Yeah right and don't tell me I'm driving back either. The problem is not just Bank of America, as I've benefitted more than I care to remember (Los Angeles, Minneapolis, Miami, Phoenix to name a few). This is the problem when all the bills are the same colour. It sure pays to know the past Presidents of the United States.

For all our American neighbours, you want to make sure that you don't take home a pocketful of Loonies and Toonies as you can't exchange change...only bills. Well for everyone's info it has been bantered about that Canada may eventually go the way of the old Deutschmark so that the smallest denomination bill will be $10. Yup that means Canada might be getting $5 coins, but I think you're safe for a few yrs yet, so keep on spending, cause when we head south we'll bring them home anyway.

Ciao for now!!!

Well your gain has been my loss, Capt. Ron!

I have left $10.00 bills for a tip for a cup of coffee before!

This thread has been entertaining to read - but I've got to say that in my personal experience (living very close to the US border), the businesses in Port Huron or Detroit Michigan do not accept US currency! However, there are ATM's in Windsor ON, where you can easily exchange CND $$ for US $$.

We do have many, many American friends and visit often!

I live in Calgary and can't think of anywhere that advertises that they take US currency. Not that they wouldn't take it, but they don't advertise it. Mind you Calgary is not as close to the border as most Canadian cities.

I agree with some aspects of both sides of the debate going on here. First, people should not go to another country and expect things to be same as they are at home. So no, you should not expect highway signs to be in miles and so on. But that doesn't mean you need to change who you are to be just like the people in the country you're visiting. So you don't have to say zed instead of zee when in Canada or loo instead of toilet when in the UK. You're a visitor and people in the country you're visiting enjoy the differences too. We like you just the way you are. :rolleyes:

Well for everyone's info it has been bantered about that Canada may eventually go the way of the old Deutschmark so that the smallest denomination bill will be $10. Yup that means Canada might be getting $5 coins, but I think you're safe for a few yrs yet, so keep on spending, cause when we head south we'll bring them home anyway.

That's not quite right, there used to be 5 DM notes, but they were pretty rare and the 5 DM coins more common. :)

I never even considered paying with American money in Canada, I always had both currencies (plus credit card, of course). But then, living in Europe I'm used to changing money whenever going on a holiday - fortunately it doesn't happen as often as before the Euro.

We hear questions like this all the time and it is very refreshing when we encounter Americans who have attempted to understand the metric system and use our currency.

I agree with that. I seem to have met mainly Americans who expect me to know both °C/°F, miles/kilometres, exchange rates etc. and convert for them but make no effort trying to understand a different system. But I have met a few who are open to new things which is always great.

By the way, I'll travel with three Americans in June/July (Washington - train to New York - train to Montreal - cruise to Boston). That’s why I found this thread, I was looking for information.

Guest cvbart
I agree with that. I seem to have met mainly Americans who expect me to know both °C/°F, miles/kilometres, exchange rates etc. and convert for them but make no effort trying to understand a different system. But I have met a few who are open to new things which is always great.

Living in the San Diego area I have run into Canadians who act the same way. But it never bothers me. They are guest in my city and I will always try to be a good host and answer any questions with a smile.

Just about all retail in San Diego takes Pesos because we like the business. Its not a big deal.

I've traveled to Canada a number of times and found Canadians to be some of the nicest people in the world.

Living in the San Diego area I have run into Canadians who act the same way. But it never bothers me. They are guest in my city and I will always try to be a good host and answer any questions with a smile.

Just about all retail in San Diego takes Pesos because we like the business. Its not a big deal.

I've traveled to Canada a number of times and found Canadians to be some of the nicest people in the world.

I've only met six Canadians I spent some time with (holidays; I've shared a hotel room or cabin with two of them), and they were all very nice and interested in many things. So Canadians have a great track record in my book. :)

Obviously, there are some among the more than 30 mio. Canadians that are not that nice, fortunately I haven't met any of those yet.

I remember travelling on a motorway in Belgium years ago: the restaurants along the way took Belgium, Dutch, German, French and British money (maybe more). They knew that if they didn't do that most people just passing through the country wouldn’t bother to exchange money to buy food etc. Business would've been much slower.

Also, Dutch shops close to the border used to accept German money, exchange rate 1:1 although it should've been about 1:.9. Now that's a nice profit margin. :)

Anyway, that probably happens in all border areas: accepting money from the neighbouring country to attract customers.

Europeans are probably more open to other customs/languages/currencies etc. because the next border is only a few hours away. My niece is six years old and has already been to Malta, Greece, Italy, France, Spain, Austria, the Netherlands, Denmark. Most young Americans and Canadians haven't been to eight foreign countries (okay, so most European children haven't either, but the chances are much higher). I know a woman in her 50s whose only visit to a foreign country has been to Canada before taking a Baltic Cruise last summer.

Sorry if I rambled too much, wasn't my intention.

Hi,

...and that is why Europe went to the Euro instead of a multitude of different currencies.

I think it's perhaps about time we got rid of the American and Canadian dollars and the Mexican peso and went to a North American currency. We could call it the North American "whatever". Messiers Bush, Harper and Fox...what about it?

Ciao for now!!!

Archived