Switching from Princess to Royal Caribbean...

I've only been on two cruises, both the Princess Eastern Caribbean. But I'm thinking of jumping ship and cruising with RC instead.

For those who have sailed on both lines I'm hoping you can weigh in on if this is a good idea or if I'll be disappointed.

Some info and thoughts:

- I'm a teacher so I can only cruise in summer and Christmas break (which I probably won't do) and Princess never seems to have summer Caribbean cruises. We went last year and that was the first time I've seen them have it and now for 2015 they don't again.

- I'm currently in the process of adopting a baby. I love Princess but I'm worried with baby there aren't enough things to do, especially since I won't be able to drop baby off at any activities until older and toilet trained.

- I'm single so most cruises (I'll go with family until baby is a little older) will just be me the my child. I would like fun activities we can do together and Princess seems to have limited activities for families.

- I want to stick with one cruise line. I know there are a lot of people who like to switch and try different ones out but I don't want to. I just want to cruise with one so I can enjoy the benefits of their loyalty program.

- I enjoyed the food on Princess but we rarely ate in the dining room because the service was too time consuming and there were limited "normal" options for us plain picky eaters lol.

- I enjoy the evening entertainment on Princess but I'm not sure that I would with a child. I'm also very anti-crowds so we never took part in any of the party like things.

- I am not into the formal nights. Last time we didn't bring any formal clothes because my first cruise we didn't use any.

- I LOVE the staff on Princess!

- Probably going to sound funny but I like that Princess doesn't have a lot of kids. I'm worried that RC might be more of a free for all with all the kids running around (please correct me if this is wrong!).

So anyway, I'm feeling that Princess is no longer meeting my needs and that if I'm going to switch I need to do it for my next cruise (which may or may not be child-free). We have our future cruise deposits in for Princess but we will get them back if we don't cruise with them by summer 2016.

Any thoughts, suggestions, comments, etc are greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

First, I love your screen name!

Second, why not, if you have the time, take a short trip on one of the Freedom class ships? Freedom and Liberty both have the Dreamworks characters and from what I've been reading, extensive programs for both adults and children.

I'm not sure how to answer you as my kids are grown since we have been cruising regularly, but my impression is that RCI is a better cruiseline for families as you seem to have noted. RCI's newer and bgger shps seem to be especially well designed for families. I would probably choose a Voyager Class ship or larger with children in tow.

Don't choose a cruiselne primarily for the Loyalty benefits as they are always in flux. Right now a lot of loyal RCI customers are in an uproar over the perceived reduction of such benefits, others see them as simple changes. If the benefits onboard a shp are of primary importance to you, spring for a suite. Suite benefits seem to outwegh C&A benefits anyway.

Even though we cruise primarily on RCI we will and have changed cruise lines when itinerary and price dictate. We are Diamond on RCI and will choose RCI when those things are similar, mainly because we both enjoy the overall cruise experience on RCI.

Although we usually cruse during "shoulder season" when kids are in school I have never had the perception of kids running amuck on the ship. A few will be seen out having fun, but they are rarely disruptive. RCI does a good enough job with their kids program that the kids are seldom seen. Also, the family actvities on the larger ships especially keep the kids busy.

Just go on the ship/itinerary that suits you best. And congratulations on the upcoming adoption! In adoption two people are blessed. We know. We have aopted both of our girls.:)

Thanks everyone!

I'm not too concerned with what the actual benefits are more than I am about moving up by staying with one line lol. I can't cruise often enough to get any benefits by switching lines all the time. Better to get something than nothing if that makes sense.

The programs for families look great! The drink package is more but I feel like the value of the cruise in general is higher. More activities and choices for my money.

With Princess I get a different rate because of being a past cruiser, does RC offer that as well?

...With Princess I get a different rate because of being a past cruiser, does RC offer that as well?

On some cruises and/or categories, there are discounts for being a past cruiser. Difficult to find, and many times not combinable with promos.

Once you get to Platinum level in the loyalty program (about 5 weeklong cruises), you can get a discount on every balcony stateroom.

If price isn't a huge issue, then you might want to consider Disney as well. You will find more kids on Disney than RCCL but I think for the younger age (to me it's about toddler to 6), there is more for them to do.

Also is it just me or are the rooms BIG?!?! I'm looking at the interior stateroom on the Freedom of the Seas... there's a COUCH!!

Plus I'm liking that there are family suites so if I end up adopting a second child or if I have family that comes we can still be in the same room :)

I know that this is personal preference but how's the food? Normal or "fancy"? Stuff for picky eaters (my brother won't touch veggies lol)?

Thanks everyone!

I'm not too concerned with what the actual benefits are more than I am about moving up by staying with one line lol. I can't cruise often enough to get any benefits by switching lines all the time. Better to get something than nothing if that makes sense.

The programs for families look great! The drink package is more but I feel like the value of the cruise in general is higher. More activities and choices for my money.

With Princess I get a different rate because of being a past cruiser, does RC offer that as well?

It does with balcony rooms and above.

If price isn't a huge issue, then you might want to consider Disney as well. You will find more kids on Disney than RCCL but I think for the younger age (to me it's about toddler to 6), there is more for them to do.

I WISH!! I will do a Disney cruise but probably only once or twice. I've been looking at them but they are $1000+ per stateroom than RC.

Food is very individual. But, my DH is a picky eater. He likes plain food. He has learned to like the sauces that are put on his meat. Or, you can ask for them to leave it off.

In the main dining room they have a menu that remains the same each night. There is salmon, steak and baked chicken breast. also, there is a children;s menu and there is no reason you can not have something from that. For example, DH ordered french fries one night because he wanted them. He often ordered ice cream sundae for dessert. [both on kids menu]

We have found the dining room waitstaff to be very helpful. They will have something on the table waiting for your little one to eat when you arrive. :)

Also, this link will take you to a family crusing forum.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Have fun!!

Thanks! Good to know that adults can order from the kids menu if needed lol. Thanks for the family forum, I'm still confused by the forums lol.

My only concern which I just realized is that unlike Princess there is no self serve laundry. Not a deal breaker but something that provides a bit more of a challenge.

Thanks! Good to know that adults can order from the kids menu if needed lol. Thanks for the family forum, I'm still confused by the forums lol.

My only concern which I just realized is that unlike Princess there is no self serve laundry. Not a deal breaker but something that provides a bit more of a challenge.

On the seven day and longer cruises they have a paper bag that they give you for a special($30.00 I think) for all the laundry that fits in the bag to be washed and folded. Great for your need!

On the seven day and longer cruises they have a paper bag that they give you for a special($30.00 I think) for all the laundry that fits in the bag to be washed and folded. Great for your need!

REALLY?!?! That would be nice. Can you supply the detergent or you just get whatever they use?

REALLY?!?! That would be nice. Can you supply the detergent or you just get whatever they use?

I think whatever they use? You could always ask them if they could use something you had.

Edited by vanceml

Can you supply the detergent or you just get whatever they use?

No, your items are washed with others' in individual mesh bags. They would use their environmentally-approved detergent.

We have sailed Princess twice and while the staff was wonderful, we will not cruise with them again. As far as we are concerned, the buffet is a deal-breaker. I know, that sounds awful... what kind of wretched individual would base a cruise on the FOOD?! :p But... we just find the buffet set up on Princess to be confusing and claustrophobic. We enjoy the stations at the Windjammer buffet on most RCI ships (Oasis is an exception to this - ugh! LOL); we find they are well organized and there is a flow we like... the choices are abundant and for the most part, very tasty. We choose to take many of our dinners in the buffet at night; it's lovely and quiet, not so hectic as during breakfast and lunch.

Enjoy your future cruises on Royal! :)

Good to know! Laundry probably won't be an option but I can easily hand wash items if I need to.

We eat mostly at the buffets and because we've never gone on another line before I never knew that the chaos wasn't normal lol. We found that people were going the wrong way, bouncing all over, flipping to different sides etc. I mean we were too because it just never seemed to have any flow. The food was good, no complaints but it has definitely been on my mind how to deal with that and a baby/child lol.

Good to know! Laundry probably won't be an option but I can easily hand wash items if I need to.

We eat mostly at the buffets and because we've never gone on another line before I never knew that the chaos wasn't normal lol. We found that people were going the wrong way, bouncing all over, flipping to different sides etc. I mean we were too because it just never seemed to have any flow. The food was good, no complaints but it has definitely been on my mind how to deal with that and a baby/child lol.

The worst chaos is really only when you get on the ship the first day. After that just try to find the off peak times, and you should be ok with buffets.

I think that the first day is the worst for any line's buffet. We brought snacks last time to hold us over until we figured out the ship and where to eat so we will probably do that again.

A lot of RC ships have places on the ship no one thinks to eat at when they first get on the ship. If you decide to sale with RC just post the question of where is the most quiet place to when you first get on the ship. Different class ships have different places.

We have sailed on Princess three times now and we prefer Royal although we have had wonderful cruises with Princess. One of the primary reasons for preferring Royal Caribbean, is their standard balcony cabins are larger. Royal's room sizes show both the Cabin & balcony sizes while Princess includes the balcony with the overall size. We feel the entertainment is better on Royal. You are likely to see more children on Royal as it is geared toward the family. Downfall, Royal doesn't have self laudry service so you will need to have clothes sent out to be returned the next afternoon. Problem there, the bags they give you are to small

WJ you will have the food station yet find people still tend to come from the opposite direction but that doesn't bother us that much. I am sure you will enjoy your Royal Caribbean experience.:)

Also is it just me or are the rooms BIG?!?! I'm looking at the interior stateroom on the Freedom of the Seas... there's a COUCH!!

Plus I'm liking that there are family suites so if I end up adopting a second child or if I have family that comes we can still be in the same room :)

I know that this is personal preference but how's the food? Normal or "fancy"? Stuff for picky eaters (my brother won't touch veggies lol)?

the largest standard cabins in the Fleet are on Disney. everybody else is pretty standard to what Princess has, although configuration or storage may make one cabin seem bigger than another.

me,personally, will not sail in anything under a suite as everything else is still too small. a Junior Suite on Royal is comparable to a decent hotel room.

with a child who still naps, you want balcony at minimum so when they are down, you can still get some relaxing in.

Family suites have a minimum number (usually 5) before you can book them prior to final payment. after final payment, they may not be available at all as they are popular

all the lines will serve a plain chicken breast without anything fancy. to me that's boring and if all you want is bland, the buffet is all you need.

A lot of RC ships have places on the ship no one thinks to eat at when they first get on the ship. If you decide to sale with RC just post the question of where is the most quiet place to when you first get on the ship. Different class ships have different places.

Promenade and Park Cafe, when applicable, for Royal ships. very very VERY light..a few sandwich options, maybe a soup at park cafe( but you go there for the Beef on Weck) and small pastries/cookies. enough to tide you over til dinner, or if you must, to hit the buffet closer to when it closes and after the cabins have been opened at 1 pm.

I am a loyal Princess cruiser who will be taking my second RCI cruise , the first in five years, on June 4 on Liberty. I am sure that many times I will think to myself, "Hm, that's not how they do it on Princess". I intend to enjoy myself. I plan to bring enough lightweight casual clothes to last me the nine days without laundry needs. It can wait until I get home.

This thread is very interesting, thanks.

I am a loyal Princess cruiser who will be taking my second RCI cruise , the first in five years, on June 4 on Liberty. I am sure that many times I will think to myself, "Hm, that's not how they do it on Princess". I intend to enjoy myself. I plan to bring enough lightweight casual clothes to last me the nine days without laundry needs. It can wait until I get home.

This thread is very interesting, thanks.

You'll have a blast! That is a great ship![emoji2][emoji2]