Catching a train in Rome at 9am?

norwegianwood57

Would you try and get off ship at 6:30, supposed to dock at 5am, to catch a train at 9 am to get from Rome to Lugano?

If we do that we can arrive in Lugano at 1:30, if we opt for a later train, we get in at 3:30 and basically blow the day.

Any thoughts out there.

If your are picking up the train at the port station Civitavecchia you'll be fine. If picking this train up in Termini then it's cutting it close but doable.

Edited by djdobrott

We have a driver take us to rome termini, pick up at 6:30,ship docks at 5. The driver is concerned that if the ship does not clear then we wont make it...

If we purchase a ticket on line for 9 and miss the train, it will not be refundable. Has anyone purchased an open ticket?

I am grateful for any help and opinions.

Sounds like the driver does not want to wake up in Rome at 4:30am in order to get to you by 6:30. :D

Be ready, ahead of time, to walk off the ship with your luggage. It only takes a few minutes to get off the ship, through the warehouse, and to the parking lot. Make sure that the driver you have has a license to pick you up right at the ship. If not, you would have to take a shuttle from the ship to outside of the port to meet your driver. Some do and some do not.:rolleyes:

euro cruiser mentioned this, as well. The traffic can be horrendous just outside of Rome if you are disembarking on a weekday.

Edited by Iamthesea

Have you considered taking the train from Civitavecchia to Rome? The early morning regional trains into Rome seem to run about every 20 minutes. The transit to Rome Termini is about an hour.

I can't imagine taking a car from Civitavecchia to Roma, in order to catch a train, when you can take a train that takes you directly to Termini from Civitavecchia; only thing is what time you'll be off the ship. The big question is "Is your previous port in a Schengen country", if so, you stand a chance.

Taking the train from C. into Rome/Termini will still leave you a loooong walk in Termini. The trains to/from C. use the local tracks on the far side of the terminal. Still doable but add about 15 minutes to walk from those tracks to the main area, but all flat. The auto traffic can be very congested. I think I'd take the train, either the early one or the late one... the late train would get you to your destination only 2 hrs later than the early one and IMHO would be a lot less stressful. m--

Taking the train from C. into Rome/Termini will still leave you a loooong walk in Termini. The trains to/from C. use the local tracks on the far side of the terminal. Still doable but add about 15 minutes to walk from those tracks to the main area, but all flat. The auto traffic can be very congested. I think I'd take the train, either the early one or the late one... the late train would get you to your destination only 2 hrs later than the early one and IMHO would be a lot less stressful. m--

Depends on the train, but yes the Platform (#27 IIRC) is a long walk. There is a moving walkway on the level BELOW the platforms if you're willing to drop down one level and come back up.

Depends on the train, but yes the Platform (#27 IIRC) is a long walk. There is a moving walkway on the level BELOW the platforms if you're willing to drop down one level and come back up.

Thank you for this bit of information, as it will help me plan a similar journey.

I just pulled up the Termini station map and see what you mean... track 27 is quite a distance from all the other tracks.

http://www.romatermini.com/en/map/

We are in a similar position...trying to determine if we can get off the ship early enough to catch a train in Termini to Venice post cruise.

If we take the train from Civitavecchia to Rome Termini, will we be able to find a cab to take us from the ship to the Civitavecchia train station that early?

Thank you for this bit of information, as it will help me plan a similar journey.

I just pulled up the Termini station map and see what you mean... track 27 is quite a distance from all the other tracks.

http://www.romatermini.com/en/map/

Only the regionale trains go into those remote (25-29) platforms (Binari), so if you can hop an intercity from Civitavecchia, you'll save some walking

As for the OP asking about taxis, I'm sure there will be taxis waiting at the pier when the ship docks.