Allure vs. Norwegian Epic ~ Italy European Cruise

This will be our 3rd cruise. We've sailed Oasis (Carribean) and Celebrity Solstice (Alaska). We are also booked on Oasis again for next spring with my daughter - her first cruise.

I know that the Allure is a more beautiful, spectacular ship. I'm looking for anyone that has sailed on the Epic for a comparison to the ships I have sailed. The ports are equally good and interesting. For the cost of Allure (ocean balcony) I could get a mini suite with a drink package on Epic and it's $300 less.

This is our 10th anniversary. We are 38 years old, traveling this August. We love good food, wine, and entertainment. It will be our first time to Italy.

I'm almost learning more towards the Epic since we will be on Oasis again in the Spring.

I would appreciate any thoughts.

Thank you!

Edited by lei_augustanniversary

Personally, I feel the ship is less important on a port intensive European itinerary, than say, in the Caribbean. We sailed Oasis and loved her, but I would hesitate to sail Allure in Europe because I feel I wouldn't have enough time on board to enjoy all the ship has to offer. We sailed NCL Jade last year in Europe and had a fantastic time. The ship was fine, but nothing like Oasis or Allure, but the itinerary was awesome, as was the price.

We're doing both! Allure this coming October and Epic October 2016. Price and the dining and drink package on Epic sold us. We booked a mini-suite on Epic for slightly more than the Central Park outside standard cabin on Allure.

We really are only interested in the itinerary. Allure will be our first Med cruise and we thought we'd like to do it again with different excursions on Epic.

Please post your Med cruise experience when you return. Have a fabulous honeymoon cruise!!

I'm also 38 and like you, enjoy the same things. I've been on both ships. I'd say the Allure has a slight edge overall, however I know NCL is giving away some nice offers like the beverage package, etc., so I'd probably book the Epic if the cost worked out better or I could get a nice cabin for the same price as Allure. It's a great ship, and the dining and bar options are plentiful. You'll have a good time no matter which ship you choose. That's an awesome itinerary!

Having been on both ships I´d also say go for the Allure! Unless you can afford a The Haven suite.

For your 10th anniversary I´d suggest to take a cruise out of Venice (either on the Splendour of the Seas or the Norwegian Jade - both ships are nice but I´d prefer the Splendour considering your preference regarding good entertainment, food and wine).

steamboats

We really didn't care for the Epic. The buffet area was chaotic and not set up efficiently, so became long lines. We did like the NCL Getaway much better with the Waterfront area and much better set up for buffet. We haven't been on the Oasis or Allure. We also really liked the Celebrity Solstice.

I have been on the Epic and the Allure and Oasis and I would pick the Epic for this trip because I would assume the ship is not the destination this time. The money you save you can use for excursions. I personally think the food on the Epic was better than the Allure. If you are going to do the entertainment both are good and different, but good. If you have never been on NCL you might enjoy the change.

For solo cruisers, we would prefer Epic considering the huge price difference. Epic is already cheaper than Allure all things equal, stack up the no single supplement solo cabins and the price difference is already too great to ignore.

For port intensive destination like Europe where you more time in ports, the ship will no longer matter much.. but price still does...

Hi we had the same conundrum. We have only sailed rci to date. However we've chosen epic for next year. With only one sea day on a seven night cruise we went for the much cheaper ship and got the drinks package and obc. Time will tell if we made the right decision.

There are some fantastic epic reviews on here. I've found loads. Mega cruiser and sdmike to name just two.

We did ALLURE (Western Caribbean) and immediately following it B2B with EPIC (TransAtlantic). We enjoy both cruise!

Considering European itinerary is mostly port intensive (and you have enjoyed Oasis), give EPIC a try. It is cheaper, and it is just DIFFERENT. I hope they still have BlueMenGroup when you are on board, it is a good show. And make sure you book the premium seating for Cirque Dreams, sitting on the balcony is best.

The NCL Freestyle Dining is also more suitable with the many excursion you are going to do.

Just like Oasis, pre-book your entertainment program on Epic so you get your preferred timing.

Enjoy your cruise!

Just got off of Allure yesterday. Impressive ship. We sailed Epic 2 years ago and loved it also. I don't think you can go bad with either. Thought the entertainment on Epic was better outside the water shows on Allure. Food was good on both. I would have to give the stateroom layout edge to Allure. The bathroom is small but at least it is all enclosed in one area not like the separate setup in Epic. For bang for you buck and special offers, my opinion is Epic is the way to go.

Was looking at the exact same options. But I was considering a regular balcony instead of a mini suite and price difference was stunning. Honestly at point the ship is really a moving hotel room. The real vacation are the ports of call and there is a lot to see. Europe is expensive and 6 ports will add quickly.

Allure is a trip on to its' own as you know. I'd say get a balcony on Epic and use the big price difference to splurge in Barcelona, Florence, Rome and so on. It's pricey just to fly to Europe, so I say soak up all you can once you are there.

I'm waiting to see what RCI offers tomorrow and if the price is too high I will be booking Epic.

Me too, I'll be on the phone to RCI in the morning to get a quote for Harmony in September, I'm prepared to pay around £500 more than NCL Epic but if much more than that I will be booking the Epic which has a fantastic offer just now, but I would love to go on the Harmony....