First trip attire thoughts

Criticname

You have been given by those answers the bare minimum standards. Now let's follow the Cunard brochures and tone up the overall shipboard appearances by following their brochures. Instead of the "uniform" so many people seem to love - jeans - substitute a pair of nice dark gray flannels for the winter months or for a summer or warm climate cruise something in a light linen or all weather wool slack. Always a tie for dinner. After all, the tables are set with linen, decent china and glassware and the staff is in livery. Do we not owe the effort a reciprocal attempt? It takes very little if any additional effort to take it all up a notch and many will appreciate the better "look" to the entire ship's appearance and atmosphere. Just my opinion.

row.jpg

My Queens Grill Formal Night Attire :D

Just a guess but I'll bet the dishwashing staff dresses like that on all evening formal or not.

My God the dishwashing crew would be scalded if they dressed like that to work. Washing. Our dishes.

My God the dishwashing crew would be scalded if they dressed like that to work. Washing. Our dishes.

I saw the entire staff dressing like that once. Then again, it was a Cuban restaurant in South Beach.

I don't expect the employees on Cunard to be dressed similarly, especially when we are to abide by ridiculous dress codes with unequal enforcement.

I have wondered what reaction a friend of mine would have if he wore his usual clothes on a Cunard cruise: Armani suit with no shirt or tie! Would he get away with it on an informal evening? I haven't checked to see if it actually says that shirts must be worn. (And yes, he's looking at coming on a cruise.)

You hit that right on the head when you said gossip, like anyone with an ounce of intelligence I will worry about gossip when it starts paying my mortgage!

Why should a decrepit prune face dressed in a £5 Primark dress and pearl set be allowed to judge anyone because they think they fit a dress code? Some of those on board would need polyfiller and an angle grinder to stop them looking like creatures from he sea!

Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, I rest my case.

Why should a decrepit prune face dressed in a £5 Primark dress and pearl set be allowed to judge anyone because they think they fit a dress code? Some of those on board would need polyfiller and an angle grinder to stop them looking like creatures from he sea!

If I had to choose who I would rather have at my MDR dinner table, I'm sure I would pick that lady who tries to follow the Cunard dress code over someone who does not. I'm sure the table conversations would be more enjoyable with her than with someone complaining about the dress code that most Cunarders follow and enjoy.

Bob

Any guidance for 16 year old son?

My daughter is happy to dress up but my 16 year old son doesn't have a suit (yet) and I am not sure we will get him into a tie every night.

Is he the 16 that seems like 12 or the 16 that seems like 20? Will he wear a blazer over a button down shirt?

Any guidance for 16 year old son?

My daughter is happy to dress up but my 16 year old son doesn't have a suit (yet) and I am not sure we will get him into a tie every night.

HelloKittysMum. Based on the following from Cunard's website, it looks like you have some flexibility regarding your son's attire:

"Children under 18 do not have a dress code but should adhere to the daily dress code where possible." -copied from https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code

My guess is that if he wears a shirt, jacket and trousers he will be fine. Perhaps he wouldn't mind wearing a tie on formal nights?

Hope you and your family have a very enjoyable voyage.

Regards,

Salacia

HelloKittysMum. Based on the following from Cunard's website, it looks like you have some flexibility regarding your son's attire:

"Children under 18 do not have a dress code but should adhere to the daily dress code where possible." -copied from https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code

My guess is that if he wears a shirt, jacket and trousers he will be fine. Perhaps he wouldn't mind wearing a tie on formal nights?

Hope you and your family have a very enjoyable voyage.

Regards,

Salacia

Thankfully he doesn't need to wear a tie as he wishes not to wear one, even on Formal Night.

We are recently off Queen Elizabeth after 18 days segment of her current WC - San Francisco to Auckland. The great majority of men were wearing Tuxedos on the 7 formal nights - some "dark suits", but not many. However on informal, nights the great majority were in jacket sans tie. I took a number of ties to wear on informal night , and wore one once on the first informal night - after that I joined the rest of the crowd!! :)

Barry

If you can afford a cruise on Cunard, getting a jacket is not that difficult or expensive, I am sure that there would be more use out of it once home.:D

Why is that analogy always brought up?

If you can afford a cruise, you can afford > insert item here. <

Let's face it, Cunard isn't that expensive, especially if you're staying in an interior stateroom. Pricing can be similar, if not cheaper, than cruise lines of a lesser caliber. The only thing dragging prices up on Cunard is simply the limited capacity of three vessels. If capacity is higher, prices would come down. Cunard's recent lower pricing had attracted passengers who normally would not be attracted to this cruise line.

A tie is not that expensive and depending on the brand, a sports coat is not either. For those who try and stay in an interior and bribe their stewards and waiters for a suite like experience, I'm sure said passengers could find a meager sports coat for $5 at certain second hand shops. That is, of course, if they aren't "too good" to shop there.

The analogy of affording a Cunard cruise and being able to afford a tie isn't exactly relevant as per the wishes and tastes of said passenger. One who can afford a Cunard cruise can typically afford the tips, but it isn't necessary for one to pay such expenses.

I too find it offensive when someone is told they can afford a sport jacket for their child if they can afford a cruise. Parking alone usually runs into multiple hundreds of dollars; of course someone can afford $50 for a blazer at TJ Maxx. The child in question doesn't have a suit and buying an entire suit for a 16 year old seems a bit much if a blazer and khakis will fit the bill. The child doesn't wish to wear a tie. The reason I asked whether he's a young or old 16 is because I've seen many 16 year olds who still look like kids. In that case a button down shirt might be fine, regardless of the tastes of the Cunard forum.

It's all academic because children are not subjected to a dress code per Cunard guidelines.

Teens can be tricky. I've got five sons, I get it.

Why is that analogy always brought up?

If you can afford a cruise' date=' you can afford > insert item here. <

Let's face it, Cunard isn't that expensive, especially if you're staying in an interior stateroom. Pricing can be similar, if not cheaper, than cruise lines of a lesser caliber. The only thing dragging prices up on Cunard is simply the limited capacity of three vessels. If capacity is higher, prices would come down. Cunard's recent lower pricing had attracted passengers who normally would not be attracted to this cruise line.

A tie is not that expensive and depending on the brand, a sports coat is not either. For those who try and stay in an interior and bribe their stewards and waiters for a suite like experience, I'm sure said passengers could find a meager sports coat for $5 at certain second hand shops. That is, of course, if they aren't "too good" to shop there.

The analogy of affording a Cunard cruise and being able to afford a tie isn't exactly relevant as per the wishes and tastes of said passenger. One who can afford a Cunard cruise can typically afford the tips, but it isn't necessary for one to pay such expenses.[/quote']

Thanks for agreeing even though you do not like the analogy.

Edited by MicCanberra

I too find it offensive when someone is told they can afford a sport jacket for their child if they can afford a cruise. Parking alone usually runs into multiple hundreds of dollars; of course someone can afford $50 for a blazer at TJ Maxx. The child in question doesn't have a suit and buying an entire suit for a 16 year old seems a bit much if a blazer and khakis will fit the bill. The child doesn't wish to wear a tie. The reason I asked whether he's a young or old 16 is because I've seen many 16 year olds who still look like kids. In that case a button down shirt might be fine, regardless of the tastes of the Cunard forum.

It's all academic because children are not subjected to a dress code per Cunard guidelines.

Teens can be tricky. I've got five sons, I get it.

I am sorry you find that offensive. I am only referring to a jacket not a tux or a suit or a sports jacket. Jackets can be bought cheaply, I would think that the cost of a cruise for a third or fourth person in a cheapest cabin can more than allow a jacket purchase. At 16 years old, it is time they knew how to get on in life, a job interview may only just be around the corner.

I am sorry you find that offensive. I am only referring to a jacket not a tux or a suit or a sports jacket. Jackets can be bought cheaply, I would think that the cost of a cruise for a third or fourth person in a cheapest cabin can more than allow a jacket purchase. At 16 years old, it is time they knew how to get on in life, a job interview may only just be around the corner.

Most job interviews are on the phone or Skype nowadays, at which point, a suit may be a bit much depending on the job. Most interviews on Skype are recommended to wear a nice button down shirt with a vest rather than a suit.

Edited by Cunard's Queen

Thankfully he doesn't need to wear a tie as he wishes not to wear one' date=' even on Formal Night.[/quote']

The OP simply mentioned "I am not sure we will get him into a tie every night", which is why I suggested that perhaps he wouldn't mind wearing a tie with his jacket on formal nights. I don't know how many Cunard voyages you have taken, but my observation is that teens tend to dress rather smartly, especially on formal nights.

Although he could wear formal national dress. Let's hope he's from Tahiti.

Cunard passengers tend to look after each other, especially the more vulnerable passengers. Why you would hope a teenage boy is dressed as a Tahitian on formal night is disconcerting. (With all due respect to the National Dress of Tahiti - it doesn't work well in Western Culture where being fully clothed is the norm.)

Salacia

I really don't understand dress code threads, you book with a line, you know what they ask of you then you come here and complain.

Common manners says if your host asks you to do something in a certain way, you comply.

If you were invited to a wedding and the couple asked you to dress n Black and white, would you show up in Red. It really is the same thing you know.