Ravenna

SOShrink

On one of the few days that our ship is not docked in Venice, we will find ourselves in Chioggia at the mouth of the Po Delta. So they give us a choice of spending a half day in this little seaside village or taking a full day excursion to Ravenna, famous for its mosaics. I know it comes down to personal preference and even how exhausted one might be midweek of a busy cruise. But I would still like to hear from travelers who have experienced both places.

We opted to spend the day in Chioggia, partly because we didn't want to spend more time on the bus, and partly because we had already seen numerous spectacular cathedrals. We thoroughly enjoyed our time in Chioggia going through the market, walking around the fishing village on our own, and eating a delicious seafood lunch at a local restaurant. We could've walked to the beach (on the Adriatic) if we had had a bit more time, or if we opted not to spend as much time going through the market. Chioggia was one of the less "touristy" places we visited during the week, and we enjoyed that aspect of the excursion.

We opted to spend the day in Chioggia, partly because we didn't want to spend more time on the bus, and partly because we had already seen numerous spectacular cathedrals. We thoroughly enjoyed our time in Chioggia going through the market, walking around the fishing village on our own, and eating a delicious seafood lunch at a local restaurant. We could've walked to the beach (on the Adriatic) if we had had a bit more time, or if we opted not to spend as much time going through the market. Chioggia was one of the less "touristy" places we visited during the week, and we enjoyed that aspect of the excursion.

We love the kind of small-town/market/seafood environment described above. (Catania in Sicily is particularly outstanding.) However, the Ravenna mosaics really stand apart from the usual European-cathedral type of experience. In addition to demonstrating mosaic art at its finest, they also show the contrasts among the styles and iconographies of the Eastern Roman Empire (of which Ravenna served as the capital), the Ostrogoths (who were "heretic" Arian Christians), and the Byzantines under Emperor Justinian. A well-planned walk around town can take in the major sights, including the Church of San Vitale, the (mis-named) Mausoleum of Galla Placidia, the Baptistries, and a most-unusual depiction of a Warrior Christ in the Archepiscopal Chapel.

Of course, personal taste should dictate one's choice, but Ravenna really does offer an experience not matched anywhere else.

Maybe I'm just boasting, but that entire area south of Venice is amazing, no matter which city or town you decide to visit. My families "roots" are Rimini, which is just a bit more south and having gone "home" many times over the years, every day trip to a near by city or town offers wonderful experiences to Italy's cultural and artistic history. I don't think you'd be disappointed, no matter where day-trip to.