Volendam lanai cabins

Sidney24

I cannot speak about main deck ocean view cabins but can give you my opinion about the lanai cabins. We have twice had those cabins on sailings and really enjoyed them. We decided to try one on a holiday cruise aboard the Maasdam. We usually book a verandah but the lanai piqued our interest so we decided to give it a try. We loved it...and booked one again on another cruise.

You can post a search for lanai cabins and read what others have to say about their experience.

As a converted outside cabin, the Lanai cabins on Lower Promenade are smaller than the outside cabins on the two decks beneath them. With the bed arranged differently, it is tighter walking by the foot of the bed.

Since the placement of the desk area had to be moved close to the lanai door, there was no room left for drawers; those were removed. That means that the top of the desk area was also made much smaller. There is significantly less flat space.

There are two drawers under the beds (if you can bend down to use them); I don't know if the Main Deck outsides have those. I suspect they do, as the inside cabins have them.

I don't recall for certain, but I believe there is also one less closet than in the Main Deck outsides.

• 3 weeks later...

I am wanting information myself specifically on the Volendam Lanai, they are the last ship to get the Lanai so I am sure not many have had one yet. I am currently booked in a Vista Suite and HAL has been trying to get me to move down because of an over sold situation. To be truthful I have no idea what to do. Will I really hate not having my balcony in Alaska.

The website cruisedeck plans shows the lanai cabins on the Volendam having the same sq ft as an Oceanview making it about 27 sq ft smaller in the cabin than the Vista Suite.

Oddly this was a year that I actually was hoping for an upsell to the Neptune not the other way around. I honestly have not been in an R class ship much so my memory for comparing is s little off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The website cruisedeck plans shows the lanai cabins on the Volendam having the same sq ft as an Oceanview making it about 27 sq ft smaller in the cabin than the Vista Suite.

Since the Volendam Lanai cabins were formerly outside cabins on the Lower Promenade Deck, they are smaller than the outside cabins on the two lower decks. In fact, they are smaller than the inside cabins on the same deck.

That would make them more than 27sq. ft. smaller than a Vista suite cabin on that ship.

They really are tighter than the typical outside. I think 165 sq feet is about as big as they get.

Personally I don't like the love seat right along the wall by the door to the deck: pax walking the deck can see you sitting there to some degree even during the day.