philipsburg st maarten beach

SMSACE6

I am asking this for my parents who are in their 80's. They are going to be there on a cruise end of March, and they have been there before, but always have done tours from the ship. This time, they only want to spend a few hours on a beach with lounge chairs and umbrella. I have suggested they do so right near where the water taxi docks in downtown Philipsburg.

What I dont know, and cannot recommend, is a particular place, or location, vendor who offers this. Preferably not too far from where the water taxi docks, as they are in their 80's. They are mobile, but a bit slow, and long distance walking is not for them. I know they can walk the boardwalk either direction for about 5 to 10mins.

Any suggestions or recommendations are appreciated. Thanks.:)

Thanks so much for the info...I remember now where Holland house hotel is, and I know that they can manage to make thier way there, and it is a nice place. thanks again, and I have passed along the info to them.:)

LOL...and no they are not into bucket of beer, more like they would ask for one bottle of light beer and two cups, so they could split it. 82 and 86 years of age, but still enjoying life. thanks again, your advice is spot on for them.

Edited by SMSACE6

I have advised my parents to take a taxi from the ship/dock directly to holland house hotel. To gtaylor, or anyone else who might know. Do you have any idea of the cost of renting two chairs and an umbrella for the day? Also, do they just walk through the hotel and out on to the beach and find a kiosk that rents these? I am pretty sure that this is where they want to go, but just would like to give them a bit more info. Thanks again for any info:) Just wish I could tag along:(

I am asking this for my parents who are in their 80's. They are going to be there on a cruise end of March, and they have been there before, but always have done tours from the ship. This time, they only want to spend a few hours on a beach with lounge chairs and umbrella. I have suggested they do so right near where the water taxi docks in downtown Philipsburg.

What I dont know, and cannot recommend, is a particular place, or location, vendor who offers this. Preferably not too far from where the water taxi docks, as they are in their 80's. They are mobile, but a bit slow, and long distance walking is not for them. I know they can walk the boardwalk either direction for about 5 to 10mins.

Any suggestions or recommendations are appreciated. Thanks.:)

Not sure if they have seen the island before but if not have you considered an island tour? I have never taken one in St. Maarten but others could offer suggestions. Most include a stop at Maho beach where the planes land just beyond the beach. It's something unique to St. Maarten.

I have advised my parents to take a taxi from the ship/dock directly to holland house hotel. To gtaylor, or anyone else who might know. Do you have any idea of the cost of renting two chairs and an umbrella for the day? Also, do they just walk through the hotel and out on to the beach and find a kiosk that rents these? I am pretty sure that this is where they want to go, but just would like to give them a bit more info. Thanks again for any info:) Just wish I could tag along:(

Exactly right SMSACE6.

I don't know the current cost, but can't imagine that it would exceed $20. Perhaps free if they decide to have lunch and drinks there.

Through the hotel and out to the beach. Don't think there's a kiosk, just find an open chair and someone will be there.

That said, as they walk through the hotel and the Ocean Lounge, they might just decide to settle in right there. :)

gary

This sounds perfect! I wish I had done this myself last November when I was in St Maarten, but I know what to do there next time:) I have told them this info and showed them photos from the hotel website and they are definitely planning on going there. Of course it all depends on how Dad feels that morning. At that age, some days are better than others (at my age too:o).

Taxi to the hotel, and some beach time, and lunch there would sound even better to me. Thanks so much for this:)

Not sure if they have seen the island before but if not have you considered an island tour? I have never taken one in St. Maarten but others could offer suggestions. Most include a stop at Maho beach where the planes land just beyond the beach. It's something unique to St. Maarten.

Thanks so much for your reply. Yes they have been cruising for years and have been here many times, many tours, and now are just dont have the energy for much of anything, especially my Dad. He is the one who actually expressed a wish to sit on a beach for a while, since he has not done that in a long time. I think that the beach time at Holland house will suit them perfectly, not too far from the ship, a beach, and a nice hotel to have lunch maybe. I was there in November, and just wandered, but went in opposite direction. I had a good day though, but next time there, I too will probably check out Holland house.

Thanks so much for your reply. Yes they have been cruising for years and have been here many times, many tours, and now are just dont have the energy for much of anything, especially my Dad. He is the one who actually expressed a wish to sit on a beach for a while, since he has not done that in a long time. I think that the beach time at Holland house will suit them perfectly, not too far from the ship, a beach, and a nice hotel to have lunch maybe. I was there in November, and just wandered, but went in opposite direction. I had a good day though, but next time there, I too will probably check out Holland house.

I absolutely love the Ocean Lounge at the Holland House. It's a great place for lunch and people watching. They have free wifi for customers as well. I would suggest that your parents take a land taxi to the Holland House and if they feel up to it then take the water taxi back. The view from the water taxi is quite nice but I think that a land taxi is easier for elderly people compared to the water taxi myself. I hope that I am still visiting St. Maarten in to my 80's and I wish them a wonderful trip.:)

Do you know how many ships will be in when they are in St. Maarten?

Sometimes they block part of Front St to vehicles. Gary do you know if taxis can get close to the Ocean Lounge on Front St if it's designated for pedestrians only?

thanks! they will definitely be taking taxi from where they debark the ship, and taxi back there.

I was thinking water taxi, because that is my usual routine, but for them easier to take a taxi, and it is not that far, so that is what they will do.

In asking this for my parents, I have discovered where I will be going to on my next cruise that stops in St Maarten. Looks wonderful. Two weeks or so, they will be there...and know that this is a good place for them to enjoy some beach/island time.

:)

• 3 weeks later...

Sadly they did not go.(to holland house) they went on the cruise, but Dad did not ever get off the ship.

I am so disappointed that they did not even try. My Mom got off the ship and shopped a bit on the pier area, but my Dad just had no interest in getting off the ship. This makes me very sad, because it would have been so easy for them, and would have been a wonderfully easy way to enjoy a few hours in St Martin.

Just makes me sad, that they made their way to such a beautiful place, and just could not muster the interest to much else.

Still a very big thank you for every one who responded, and i do appreciate all the great suggestions. I also will keep them in mind for my hopefully future cruises. Holland house hotel is on to of my list for whenever I am there next.

Edited by SMSACE6

Thank you all for this thread! Holland House Hotel looks like the perfect place to visit in St. Maarten. Is it possible to walk there from the cruise ship pier? If we decide to take the water taxi, can someone give me directions to Holland House once we get off the water taxi? Thanks very much in advance!

BananaMama

Thank you all for this thread! Holland House Hotel looks like the perfect place to visit in St. Maarten. Is it possible to walk there from the cruise ship pier? If we decide to take the water taxi, can someone give me directions to Holland House once we get off the water taxi? Thanks very much in advance!

BananaMama

If you walk to the right along the waterfront Boardwalk (actually concrete promenade) from the pier for about 50 or so yards you will get to Holland House - probably the best looking building facing the water.