Thoughts on NCL MDR food?

DreamingBig1

Just back from the Epic and we ate in the MDR five nights.

What impressed us the most was not only their willingness to make adjustments to meals, but the fact that all of the requests were carried out. My husband is not a sauce/dressing person, so he often asked for that to be left out and our friend doesn't eat meat, so a few times she requested a few things not be included as well.

Overall, we thought the food was good. We were not expecting a 5-star restaurant and we were happy with our choices.

What were the average wait times? I will be on the Epic soon I am worried how long dinner is in the MDR. I like to do things after dinnera and do not want to be in there more than a hour in a half .

What were the average wait times? I will be on the Epic soon I am worried how long dinner is in the MDR. I like to do things after dinnera and do not want to be in there more than a hour in a half .

On the Breakaway, we usually figured on 60 to 90 minutes for dinner. We rarely had to wait longer than 5 minutes or so for a table. We found service to be good. Note, however, that if you are making special requests (for example, my brother in law always specified no garlic due to allergy), it will take longer (although they do accommodate such requests).

We've been on 4 NCL cruises. I have always been really happy with the dining room food. But I am really easy to please on a cruise. I'm just so darned happy to be eating out. We don't eat out much at all in sit-down restaurants. If we do eat out, it's fast food. We just usually eat at home.

So going to the main dining room is such a special treat to me. I have the hardest time choosing from the menu!!!!! Everything sounds wonderful to me!!!

I can't say that I have ever had a bad meal in the dining room!!! There are many choices, so I think everyone should be able to find something on the menu to their liking!

I also really enjoy the buffet. There is a lot to choose from.

It's all down to personal taste. I like NCL's MDR food, but there's a lot more to an MDR experience than food for me and the way I'd like to cruise. I'd rank the cruise lines I've experienced as follows:

Carnival by a pretty wide margin. It's been a few years, but I loved their food. Pretty good with solo cruisers.

NCL is next. Very good food, excellent service. Knows how to treat solo cruisers.

A big drop to Royal Caribbean. Average MDR food, not good service unless at a shared table. Has no idea how to treat solo cruisers. Was alternatively butt-kissed and utterly ignored at various points, whenever I ate alone.

Cunard: disliked the venue at first glance, and one miserable lunch with miserable people and miserable service put me off the place for the entire crossing. The buffet place was great, though.

We were on the 4 day sailing on the Sky. We ate in the MDR 3 out of 4 nights. We have sailed Carnival, RCL and Princess. This was our first NCL cruise. Some of the meals in the dining room were fine, others, not so much. We found that the menu did not always describe what you were getting. For instance, on the first night, my husband ordered some kind of flounder, and based on the description, assumed it was going to be stuffed with some kind of Florentine. Ended up with a piece of fried flounder covered with what looked like the spring field greens that I had just had in my salad. We really enjoyed the breakfasts and lunches served in the dining room. We did the buffet one night and it seemed to be Mexican night. Most of the dishes were in heavy sauces or covered with some kind of glaze.

Don't get me wrong, we did not go hungry, and although we tried to not compare to other cruiselines, we could not help but think that usually there is at least one fish, one chicken, one beef and one vegetarian dish along with one special dish. On NCL, it didn't really seem to follow that pattern. I would like to do another NCL, just to give it a second try. My husband is a foodie and is a little less into trying them again.

If we were to do a 7 day the next time, would the menus be different than what we had on the 4 day?

Edited by canalwen

My first cruise on NCL was about 6 or 7 years ago on the Dawn and thought the food was bad, I was really disappointed. I was the Gem 9 months later and had the same impression. 13 months ago I went on the Breakaway and since have been on it twice and Getaway and I am shocked at how much better the food has gotten. Typically we eat in the MDR all but one or 3 nights, and we have had nights were we cancelled a specialty reservation because we liked the MDR menu.

I've sailed on NCL, PCL, & X. I my experience, the food in the MDR on NCL is comparable to PCL. PCL's service was better. Neither compare to Celebrity. I found NCLs food & service on par with a full service, lower end chain restaurant (i.e. Ruby Tuesday & Applebee's). If you like those, you'll be fine.

Disclaimer, my NCL experience wasn't on Getaway or Breakaway. Those seem to get better reviews.

Edited by tarheelmjfan

We have been pretty loyal RCL cruisers with some Disney sprinkled in from time to time. We cruised on the Getaway last year, first time on NCL, with the UDP. We only ate in the MDR once and specialty the rest. I didn't go hungry for sure but wasn't overly enthused about MDR or the specialty. The selections didn't thrill me and honestly, the service was just ok. I constantly compared her to the Oasis and Allure. For us, the food was better on RCL but who knows?? Could be a mental thing since we consider ourselves RCLers. But again, I didn't starve and I was never disgusted by anything. Any meal on a cruise ship with no cooking and cleaning is better than the self prepare option. Bottom line, I will eat and be grateful that we have been blessed with the means to cruise. What I will say is we loved the entertainment on NCL and would rate higher than RCL.

We have 2 NCL cruises booked and are excited to be trying NCL for the first time.

I read a post on another CC forum where many posters said that NCL's MDR food was not good and below that of RCI, Carnival, and Celebrity.

I know that the better food is in the specialty restaurants, but is the MDR food really that poor?

I have seen pictures and watched videos and it looks like food that we have had with RCI, Disney and Celebrity.

Personally I found the meat dishes medium well done to be the best. Also I found the simpler the dishes (particularly the appetizers) the better it was for me. For ex, an asparagus/artichoke risotto appetizer looked as if someone threw up on a plate (I had them take it away) while the salads, eggrolls etc were quite good

I find reviews in general, but especially food reviews, to be very subjective. I proceed with caution when I read them. For cruise food reviews, I immediately ignore the ones that claim there was nothing to eat for the entire sailing. That's just absurd to me. No one, however, knows your true taste like you know your true taste. I've always found MDR food on cruises to be good, and I love the variety and the ability to try new things.

As an above poster mentioned, people are much more likely to take the time to write negative reviews rather than positive ones. Keep that in mind as well. Also keep in mind that even for the pickiest eaters they will find a way to please you! My cousin eats mainly Mac and cheese, burgers and chicken fingers (and she's almost 30!!), and she ate off the children's menu at dinner. They didn't even give her a second look.

We just returned home from cruising on the Jade. We were on the Star 10 years ago and never sailed on NCL again because of the food. We were very impressed with our recent experience on the Jade (it made us want to sail on NCL again). We have been on Carnival, Princess and Celebrity. We usually sail on RCCL. We thought the food on the Jade was better than on RCCL. - MDR and buffet food. There were always plenty of choices and the food was always hot (one thing that was always hard to get on our last two RCCL cruises).

We just returned home from cruising on the Jade. We were on the Star 10 years ago and never sailed on NCL again because of the food. We were very impressed with our recent experience on the Jade (it made us want to sail on NCL again). We have been on Carnival, Princess and Celebrity. We usually sail on RCCL. We thought the food on the Jade was better than on RCCL. - MDR and buffet food. There were always plenty of choices and the food was always hot (one thing that was always hard to get on our last two RCCL cruises).

In my own experience, we went from liking the food on NCL to not liking it so much, to thinking it was good, then thinking it was great and now looking forward to another NCL cruise this July. Let me explain...

In 2002, we went on the Norwegian Sea (smaller ship, what was known as a "classic" ship). We really enjoyed that cruise overall, and we found the MDR food to be very good, as well as the service. The buffet was typical cruise buffet food but we mostly ate in the MDR. DH and I had dinner one night at Le Bistro, which was the only specialty restaurant back then, and we loved it there. Lol, it only cost $10 a person back then! :)

While on the Norwegian Sea, they were advertising the Norwegian Dawn, which hadn't started sailing yet, as the very first cruise ship to sail year round out of NYC. Our whole family ended up going on the Dawn in 2004, which was DH and my last cruise before becoming parents. All of us were so disappointed with the food on that cruise. We had expected it to be very good, like it had been on the Sea, but it wasn't even close. The service in the dining room also left a lot to be desired, and DH,my parents, my sister and I were turned off to NCL. The following year when I had a 6-month-old and we decided not to cruise, my parents and sister ended up going on Carnival instead of NCL.

Fast forward to me discovering that the Norwegian Spirit was coming to NY in 2006 and going on 8-night cruises to the Caribbean and Bermuda, and although I was skeptical, I was intrigued by that sailing. My sister convinced me that we should all try NCL again since it had been a few years since we went on the Dawn, and even though we weren't crazy about that cruise overall, we still had fun and we didn't have a bad cruise (I've never been on what I'd call a bad or horrible cruise). My sister also convinced me because back then, children under two years old were free on NCL (just had to pay taxes and fees, minimal compared to spending a thousand on a baby!). So we all took the plunge and went on the Spirit in July 2006. We loved that cruise! The food was very good once again and all of us liked NCL a lot. My son was a year and a half old though, and DH and I decided that our next cruise would be with fully potty-trained children only! Lol, so 9 months after our cruise on the Spirit I had our second son. ;)

In 2011 it was time for another cruise, this time with two children ages 4 and 6, and fully potty trained yay!! So we all decided to go on the Jewel out of NY to the Bahamas. What a cruise it was, food wise and everything wise! We couldn't get enough of all the delicious MDR food, the only specialty restaurant we went to was DH and I, to Le Bistro one night as a date night. That was fantastic! The MDR had wonderful food and service. They couldn't do enough for us. We even saw one of the waiter we had for dinner one night, in the 24-hour eatery and he served us breakfast one morning. He remember our kids' names! Fantastic food and service on that cruise.

Now we are really looking forward to the Breakaway this July to Bermuda. We have a group of 11 people going, ranging in age from 18 months old to 65 years old, and we all can't wait sail and enjoy all the food! No UDP here...we will eat in the MDR 5 nights out of 7, and go to Le Bistro and Cagney's for the other two nights. :)

As you can see from my signature, we are booked for the Escape in December 2016. For that cruise, because of how many neat specialty venues there is going to be on the Escape, I think we are going to splurge and get the dining package. For our scheduled Star cruise, I don't think we are.

Yes. We thought about that for our promo but chose the drink package instead. We are not big drinkers per se but when its free it make sense if you have a couple of drinks a day. Plus I like the freedom of trying something, not liking it and setting it aside or taking a few sips of something you do like and ordering something different. Anywhoo, we probably will do a few specialty places for dinner but are just thinking it will make sense to book them as we go, even if it ends up being slightly more.

So, does anyone have copies of the new menus for MDR? I have found a website www.beyondships2.com and it had menus for all dining rooms, including specialty but these are for 2013. Would love to see the new menus if possible.

I found the 2015 menus on the same site. It lists 11 dinner menus which I believe rotate. All look interesting to me though! :)

http://www.beyondships2.com/norwegian-breakaway-menus.html

Yes. We thought about that for our promo but chose the drink package instead. We are not big drinkers per se but when its free it make sense if you have a couple of drinks a day. Plus I like the freedom of trying something, not liking it and setting it aside or taking a few sips of something you do like and ordering something different. Anywhoo, we probably will do a few specialty places for dinner but are just thinking it will make sense to book them as we go, even if it ends up being slightly more.

The dining package didn't make sense for us either. Going to Cagney's one night, Le Bistro another and the MDR the rest of the week, it costs less not to get the UDP. We didn't get the promo because we booked in September and we have 2 connecting inside cabins anyway which wouldn't qualify us for the promo anyway, but when we booked we got onboard credit from NCL and also from Liberty Travel so that will help pay for some of our drinks! In order to upgrade to 2 connecting ocean view cabins and qualify for the free drink package (the option I would have chosen if we got this promo), it would cost us $600 more. My kids don't drink soda, and DH and I don't spend $600 on alcohol for a one week cruise, so the onboard credit we already have and the cheaper price of the connecting inside cabins ended up being a better deal for us. DH and I also like to go to the tastings (martini, margarita, wine tastings, etc.) which aren't covered by the drink package anyway. Paying as we go just makes more sense for us.

I must be dreaming. Finally, a NCL food thread that mostly positive.

Never could understand posts about lousy food and service. Never experienced it.

the economy must have cut into the number of people with personal chefs at

home.

the economy must have cut into the number of people with personal chefs at

home.

LOL. Love it!!! I too am enjoying the positive feedback of the food. Having sailed both NCL and Carnival, there are things that I prefer on one than the other. Food is very subjective and someone who preaches that the food is horrible or they could not find something to eat is ridiculous. I have never had a meal in a specialty dining on any line. With so many options, there must be at least one thing that is pleasing to the palette.

So here is my opinion: A. The buffet at NCL is better than that of Carnival; B. The dessert is better at Carnival; C. The MDR is better at Carnival (the food, plus the cheezy dancing waiters, edges it out for me); and most importantly NCL has better ice cream, because they give you sprinkles, LOL.

Either way, you should be able to find something on each line that you find yummy and if you don't... go get yourself another drink. :D

Here is the summary I wrote in my cruise review of the Norwegian Jewel last year:

"Main Dining Room: We ate at Tsars main dining room for dinner twice and lunch once. The lobster and steak were good, the lamb was very greasy and not good. I LOVED the bread pudding with caramel sauce. This would end up being my favorite food on the entire ship. All four of us agreed that Carnival has much better dining room food overall. Royal Caribbean and NCL are about the same for us.

Buffet: The buffet had more than 6 different stations and we never had to wait in line for food, even at breakfast. Sometimes finding a seat was a challenge, but the Italian restaurant was opened up during the days of over flow seating. The food at the buffet was really good for buffet food, and honestly more appealing than the main dining room for most things. Every day there was a salad station, hot food, Indian (my favorite), Wok, sandwich-station-turns-into-a crepe-station-randomly, desert, etc. I thought the deserts were not worth the calories, except for the amazing bread pudding. I could never figure out why the back outside buffet line was almost always closed (even at 12:00 on a sea day). This was irritating as we had to go all the way to the back to find an empty seat, only to find the drink station there was closed, and we had to go back forward to get a drink.

NCL wins the buffet category mostly due to good food, variety, and NO WAITING in line.

Royal comes in second, as the food is usually good, and they have the best salad bar.

Carnival comes in last as it is always busy, congested and my blood pressure always seems to rise when I go there. Carnival ships typically only have 2-3 super long stations and everyone must wait in line, even if they just want a roll."

On a side note, the buffet had sushi at dinner!

Edited by mpcaruth

LOL. Love it!!! I too am enjoying the positive feedback of the food. Having sailed both NCL and Carnival, there are things that I prefer on one than the other. Food is very subjective and someone who preaches that the food is horrible or they could not find something to eat is ridiculous. I have never had a meal in a specialty dining on any line. With so many options, there must be at least one thing that is pleasing to the palette.

So here is my opinion: A. The buffet at NCL is better than that of Carnival; B. The dessert is better at Carnival; C. The MDR is better at Carnival (the food, plus the cheezy dancing waiters, edges it out for me); and most importantly NCL has better ice cream, because they give you sprinkles, LOL.

Either way, you should be able to find something on each line that you find yummy and if you don't... go get yourself another drink. :D

I totally agree with your Carnival and NCL comparison. I really wish NCL had better desserts- but maybe I'll save a few thousand calories on my next two cruises!:)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app