Island Princess

rvmike

A friend just got off the Island from a 17 day cruise from Ft Lauderdale thru the canal. Claimed passengers were sent to hospitals at several ports. Don't have any further info.

Edited by rvmike

We were on the ship when it was going through the Canal going to FLL. Didn't have an illness problem but the ship it's self was not in the best shape. Pipes kept springing leaks and little things all around the ship kept breaking. I'm thinking that ship should have been in dry dock much sooner than it was scheduled for.

Island is due for a major refit soon. It won't be the same ship afterward. I would expect them to deal with the other problems at the same time. Sadly, it looks like they still aren't going to instal an IC!!!

As others have said, medical issues (including deaths) are quite common on cruises - especially the longer ones as they often have more elderly people.

A friend just got off the Island from a 17 day cruise from Ft Lauderdale thru the canal. Claimed passengers were sent to hospitals at several ports. Don't have any further info.
Fishywood is correct. Not at all unusual. Actually very common. Happens on almost every cruise although you may not be aware of it since sick passengers are frequently disembarked after passengers have gone ashore. It's also not unusual for passengers to pass away on a cruise.

On my recent Grand cruise, a passenger was disembarked in Lahaina and in Ensenada, there were three ambulances at the pier awaiting passengers to be driven to San Diego.

Edited by Pam in CA

During one UST, the CMO showed us the 3 bay morgue on the Coral. We asked the obvious question, and he said on average in his experience they have at least one passenger death per week. It was actually unusual we got to see it because they were empty that particular trip (this was Alaska).

Interestingly, he said he came from HAL and they had either 6 or 9 bay morgues.

Interesting, It was the friends second cruise. Wife & I are in the 20 cruise range and never saw or heard of this happening that often, did not start CC until our 15 thish cruise. It must be hard on the crew to deal with it.

There was a LOT of flu on this sailing. I had to go to the medical center several times for another problem, and there were always 15-25 people there and out to the elevators coughing. The doctors and nurses must have been very stressed. I would be curious how many cases of flu there were.

On our January cruise on the Island I used the medical facility. I developed a swelling in my leg and ankle. The Doctor immediately ran a test for a blood clot. It came back clear. The Medical teams on Princess are excellent and as a previous poster stated "under great stress". Using the facility is not free. The bill I received was $388. Blue Cross reimbursed me $63. With the excellent treatment I received I am not complaining.

On our cruise on the CB in January it was widely reported that a man in his 50's has died of a heart attack right near Crooners - drapes were put up for privacy reasons. However my DH spoke with a staff member the next day - he survived and was in fact debarked in Grand Cayman the next day. We found it odd that they waited until just before sailaway to do so though instead of first thing - but assume there were factors we were not aware of.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums