Parking San Pedro California

osofish2

Ouch! You're right! Not that I didn't believe you but I double-checked. http://www.portoflosangeles.org/facilities/passenger.asp

At that price a shuttle to the pier is many times a less expensive option & then I don't have to drive in LA traffic. :eek: Or one of the SP hotels with a stay & park package becomes an even better option. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

I guess price increases are always inevitable...

The price over in Long Beach at the Carnival Terminal has been $17/day for a long time now...

I don't know that it changes the equation that much...

On a three-night getaway, it goes from $36 to $48...$12 more...not enough to change how we look at it...

On a seven -night cruise, it goes from $84 to $112...an increase of $28...not going to change much for many of us there either...

For us, from home to port and back, round trip, it's $192 plus a tip...for Execucar, it's $234...

So, it still saves us $$ to drive...Convenience is sort of a wash...With driving ourselves, we just jump in the car and go...with a shared shuttle, we may make a few stops...with Execucar, the price more than doubles...

Now, if it's a 14 night cruise...like to Hawaii, it becomes $224 to park...and, for that, either the shuttle or Execucar option makes sense...but, they sort of made sense before the price increase as well...

We have used a car rental one way from Santa Clarita. At about $60 one way and that includes a drop off fee it would still be a bit cheaper to drive if we were doing a 7 day round trip to San Pedro.

We have used a car rental one way from Santa Clarita. At about $60 one way and that includes a drop off fee it would still be a bit cheaper to drive if we were doing a 7 day round trip to San Pedro.

Not really...

$112 parking 7 days vs. $120 renting a car...you have to pay for gas either way...and, either way, you've likely got to leave your car parked somewhere...or deal with someone like Enterprise picking you up...

But, the negative trade-off is that you have to go through the hassle of picking up the car near your home ...and the hassle of getting from the pier to the car rental place and getting the car in San Pedro...

For what would be almost a wash money wise, still more convenient to drive yourself...

Not really...

$112 parking 7 days vs. $120 renting a car...you have to pay for gas either way...and, either way, you've likely got to leave your car parked somewhere...or deal with someone like Enterprise picking you up...

But, the negative trade-off is that you have to go through the hassle of picking up the car near your home ...and the hassle of getting from the pier to the car rental place and getting the car in San Pedro...

For what would be almost a wash money wise, still more convenient to drive yourself...

It's roughly 110 roundtrip miles for you or Waltd. Operating a midsize car in CA costs around 55c/mile excluding gas. The trip will add $60 to the cost of driving your own car, even more if it eventually causes excess miles on a lease. I agree it's a cost/convenience decision and for the $52 higher cost of driving myself, I'd also go for the convenient option!

Edited by kenish

It's roughly 110 roundtrip miles for you or Waltd. Operating a midsize car in CA costs around 55c/mile excluding gas. The trip will add $60 to the cost of driving your own car, even more if it eventually causes excess miles on a lease. I agree it's a cost/convenience decision and for the $52 higher cost of driving myself, I'd also go for the convenient option!

NOT REALLY! You make the error of blindly accepting someone's cost estimate...

First of all, there are many sources for computing a car's "operating costs", but one of the best sources is the AAA...and they DO include the cost of fuel...

Their analysis comes to 61 cents per mile for a mid-sized car driven 15,000 miles per year, 39.8 cents for someone driving 20,000 miles per year in a small sedan...(I'll get into differences between miles driven figures later)

Here is how THEY compute it:

What’s Covered

AAA’s analysis covers vehicles equipped with standard features and optional equipment including automatic transmission, air conditioning, power steering, antilock brakes and cruise control, to name a few.

Fuel Fuel costs were based on $3.486 per gallon, from AAA’s Fuel Gauge Report, http://www.FuelGaugeReport.com. Fuel mileage is based on Environmental Protection Agency fuel-economy ratings weighted 60 percent city and 40 percent highway driving.

Maintenance Costs include retail parts and labor for normal, routine maintenance as specified by the vehicle manufacturer. They also include the price of a comprehensive extended warranty with one warranty claim deductible of $100 and other wear-and-tear items that can be expected to require service during five years of operating the vehicle. Sales tax is included on a national average basis.

Tires Costs are based on the price of one set of replacement tires of the same quality, size and rating as those that came with the vehicle. Mounting, balancing and sales tax also are included.

Insurance AAA based its insurance costs on a full-coverage policy for a married 47-year-old male with a good driving record, living in a small city and commuting three to 10 miles daily to work. The policy includes $100,000/$300,000 coverage with a $500 deductible for collision and a $100 deductible for comprehensive coverage. License, Registration and Taxes Costs include all governmental taxes and fees payable at time of purchase, as well as fees due each year to keep the vehicle licensed and registered. Costs are computed on a national average basis.

Depreciation Depreciation is based on the difference between new-vehicle purchase price and estimated trade-in value at the end of five years. Finance Costs are based on a five-year loan at 6 percent interest with a 10 percent down payment. The loan amount includes taxes and the first year’s license fees, both computed on a national average basis.

Okay, first of all, these are all averages and estimations...everyone's costs differ...And the reason for ups and downs based on mileage driven are due to the fact that many of the costs are somewhat directly tied to mileage while others are only tied to time...For example, you MIGHT be able to estimate tire cost based on milage...and fuel costs are mileage dependent as well...BUT, items like insurance costs are based on a per year price which, in reality, has little to do with mileage driven-especially small variations in mileage...Depreciation has a lot more to do with the age of the car than with mileage driven--especially in the case of minor variations in mileage driven.

So, the problem with applying these per-mile estimates on a single 110 mile round trip is that doing that trip will really NOT affect the depreciation of the car nor the cost of insurance. Those are costs you will pay whether you drive to the port or take other transportation. The only REAL expense of driving yourself to the pier is the total of gasoline and a proration of the cost of wear on your tires and acceleration on the time line toward your next regular maintenance...

So, for example, in my case--my car gets around 30 mpg...so, even a 120 mile round trip takes four gallons of gas--priced at $3.50 per gallon, that is $14...or $.116 per mile. A set of tires for my car costs approximately $800 and can be expected to take me at least 60,000 miles...let's add a price increase and call it $900 for the next set...or $.015 per mile...And, my service on my Acura over the first 100,000 miles has totaled in the neighborhood of $5,000...or $.05 per mile.

So, the actual total per mile usage for my car--NOT including insurance or depreciation--which I am paying for whether I drive to San Pedro or not-- is only $0.1675 per mile!!

So, what is the difference between that figure and the estimate of $.61 per mile? Obviously, the two big numbers:

1) Depreciation--If I paid $35,000 for the car brand new (and, by the way, I don't lease and I don't finance--I just pay cash--unless there is a zero interest offer) and I drive the car for 100,000 miles and the car is virtually worthless when done, it would have cost me $0.35 per mile...If I could trade in the high mileage car for $5,000, then it still cost me $.030 per mile...

Of course, in my case, I drove my prior Acura for 10 years and 200,000+ miles--so it actually cost me less than half that...So, this number varies considerably dependiung on how often you get rid of your cars and how much mileage you put on them.,..

2) Insurance--In my case, with good driver discounts and the like, I pay a under $1000 per year for my insurance...So, if I drive 10,000 miles per year and you had to include that, it's another $.10...Of course, again, I'll pay that whether I drive to San Pedro or not...

BUT, if someone were estimating that overall approximate mileage cost, they'd add my 16 and three-quarters cents to that 35 cents and ten cents--and they'd come up with a grossly inaccurate $0.6175!!! Pretty much in line with the AAA estimate...

But, again, driving or not driving to San Pedro will really only affect it by $0.1675 per mile...

So, MY round trip using MY car really only costs me about TWENTY DOLLARS...

Yikes. that is crazy, I literally JUST checked the website on Thursday! Maybe to some that $12-$60 extra is no big deal, but it is to me. Will it make me reconsider a cruise, no. But it DOES affect my bottom line and since I have a finite source of funds it does mean I have to change my budget somewhere else. Maybe it's a few less drinks on the ship or a less expensive shore excursion, or maybe it's something else at home before I leave like not buying a new outfit or lunch out with my friends (I brown bag it 95% of the time so it is not like I have a huge budget for eating out). 33% is a pretty big increase.

Yikes. that is crazy, I literally JUST checked the website on Thursday! Maybe to some that $12-$60 extra is no big deal, but it is to me. Will it make me reconsider a cruise, no. But it DOES affect my bottom line and since I have a finite source of funds it does mean I have to change my budget somewhere else. Maybe it's a few less drinks on the ship or a less expensive shore excursion, or maybe it's something else at home before I leave like not buying a new outfit or lunch out with my friends (I brown bag it 95% of the time so it is not like I have a huge budget for eating out). 33% is a pretty big increase.

Stop looking at percentages...It may be a 33% increase...BUT it's a 33% increase on a VERY small segment of your cruise cost...NOT 33% of you overall cruise cost...

It is ONLY a $28 increase on a seven night cruise...

Heck, your cruise fare on your next cruise could easily vary more than that...

We did two three nighters on Princess recently...one in late November, another in early January...The difference in price between those two nearly identical cruises was $134!

Another way to look at it is that if there are just two in your party, $28 is $14 each--the cost of LESS than two drinks each...Pick two drinks you might have ordered while on a seven-night cruise and have an iced tea instead...You've just covered the parking increase...

If it's a 3-night cruise, it's a $12 increase--$6 each--just ONCE, instead of ordering a Rum and Coke, order just the Coke without the rum!!!

I don't want to sound insensitive but...prices go up...It's the general nature of things...It was at $12 for a very long time...At least ten years...So, really, it's only gone up about 3.3% per year--or less...

What did everything else you buy go up by in the past ten years?

A Quarter Pounder at Mc Donalds cost $2.29 and small fries were $1.09...

A Disneyland one-day Adult admission was $53...It just went over $100!

I book a round trip shared van super shuttle to the cruise ports for Long Beach or San Pedro. I live in Glendale, Calif. I pay $126.00 round trip.

I find it very convenient because it is so stressful for me to drive on the freeway. Plus, there is usually only one other person on the shared van going to the cruise port. I have fun talking about cruising with the other persons who are also cruising on the same ship.

On the return home there are also just a few persons on the shared van shuttle.

I always get my money's worth by booking back to back to make the cruise last longer for me. I cruise for the ocean and ship experience and not for the ports. I wasn't born wanting to see the world. I am happy just being on top of the ocean. lol.

One time I cruised for 7 days on the Crown Princess and then I had the Holiday Inn hotel pick me up complimentary to their hotel so I could spend one night and then the next day they dropped me off at the Carnival ship where I booked back to back several times. I cruised for 21 days. I returned on Dec. 20th and got lucky because Super shuttle chose to send me home from the Long Beach cruise port in a taxi by myself at no extra charge since they were low on shared van shuttles. What a deal. It was great. LucyR.

The reason we've booked a car service for our last three cruises (all two-week cruises) was that with all the stuff for the three of us, it was either loading everything in hubby's ancient van (which has only two seats so that's problematic) and leaving that at the port, or leave the guitar case and crate o'drinks at home (we are willing to do laundry during the cruise, though). Our sedans do not have the space otherwise. So one of those cars gets left in the driveway to give the appearance of being home and we leave the driving to someone else. But otherwise, driving ourselves means we're not at the mercy of waiting for our driver (which did get screwed up by one certain company big time) on either end. For a shorter cruise, it makes sense to drive there.

NOT REALLY! You make the error of blindly accepting someone's cost estimate...

First of all, there are many sources for computing a car's "operating costs", but one of the best sources is the AAA...and they DO include the cost of fuel...

Although I fully agree it depends on everyone's situation (and yours isn't "typical") it's also interesting how you could possibly know I "blindly accepted" someone's cost estimate. :) I actually used a calculator that takes in all the "line items" you mentioned and zero'ed out fuel. Different inputs cause different results as we're seeing, but their number is pretty close to AAAs that you cite. A fascinating thing about the calculator is it goes on to estimate indirect public costs of accidents, building/maintaining infrastructure, pollution, etc. on an line-item basis. I didn't include these in the 55c figure.

It's very easy to get to the World Cruise Center (the Port of Los Angeles) from the Harbor Freeway, no matter whether coming from north or south. Get off on the Harbor Blvd exit but stay in the middle lane. When the light turns green, drive across Harbor Blvd right into the entrance of the WCC (you'll see the ships from where you'll be stopped on the ramp).

Follow other vehicles to the guard booth and then continue on. There'll be a marquee that will list each cruise ship and which berth. Just follow the arrows to the berth for your ship, drop off passengers and luggage at the curb. Then drive down to the parking lot (you'll see it). Park, write down the location if you need to -- or take a photo of the number for the location, and then you can walk back up to the berth (I'm guessing there's still is a little shuttle that you can jump on and it'll take you back up...but it's a pretty easy walk for most people).

There's no reason that I know of to worry about what the different parking lots are (I think it's really just one major lot) and it's not hard to find the port. I don't have a GPS and my sense of direction can be off at times (I did go in the wrong direction from the Queen Mary -- there for a function for work -- to return to the valley...ended up in Bell or Bellflower before I realized it.:o ), but I don't have a problem driving to the port of LA if I stick with the freeway.

It's very easy to get to the World Cruise Center (the Port of Los Angeles) from the Harbor Freeway' date=' no matter whether coming from north or south. Get off on the Harbor Blvd exit but stay in the middle lane. When the light turns green, drive across Harbor Blvd right into the entrance of the WCC (you'll see the ships from where you'll be stopped on the ramp).

Follow other vehicles to the guard booth and then continue on. There'll be a marquee that will list each cruise ship and which berth. Just follow the arrows to the berth for your ship, drop off passengers and luggage at the curb. Then drive down to the parking lot (you'll see it). Park, write down the location if you need to -- or take a photo of the number for the location, and then you can walk back up to the berth (I'm guessing there's still is a little shuttle that you can jump on and it'll take you back up...but it's a pretty easy walk for most people).

There's no reason that I know of to worry about what the different parking lots are (I think it's really just one major lot) and it's not hard to find the port. I don't have a GPS and my sense of direction can be off at times (I did go in the wrong direction from the Queen Mary -- there for a function for work -- to return to the valley...ended up in Bell or Bellflower before I realized it.:o ), but I don't have a problem driving to the port of LA if I stick with the freeway.[/quote']

Thanks for the info! It shall help for our arrival and departure. :)