Palma De Mallorca

tommyjean

Not that this rankings are of any scientific relevance, but The Times has selected Palma as the best world city to live in 2015.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/style/homes_and_gardens/best_places/article1533472.ece

"Palma is also the gateway to sophisticated, charming Mallorca"

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/style/homes_and_gardens/best_places/article1533629.ece

Palma beats the world

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/travel/Destinations/Europe/Spain/article1533210.ece

I don't really think that this is totally true, except if you have money, are retired, etc... since Mallorca's labour market is not the world's best in any case. Also, there are many wonderful places out there.

The article goes to show however that Palma and Mallorca have a lot to offer :)

You may have already found something, but this is someone I have been in contact with for a tour that is reasonable, and covers a couple sites.

Mallorca Private Tours Guides - Alex Fraile Tour C - 4 hours Valldemossa Soller tour - 37 euros per person, plus 7 euros entrance fee per person in case you want to visit the Carthusian monastery.

Hello! Going on our first med cruise in June and I'm trying to put together "must sees". I know nothing about Palma! I was hoping someone could give me their advice on what to see or do!! Thanks!
Edited by S&T

you might want to join a tour that does the Train to Soller, la Calabra, along with s boat ride to see the beautiful coast of the island. I have been unable to find anyone who has done this...

Hi, I've done this before. Highly recommend it, provided there's time. See this Thread for more, and also do a search on this board for more info:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=37956672

Enjoy Spain!!

• 2 weeks later...

Does the HoHo bus have a stop very close to the cruise ship terminal? I was confused when reading the posts whether we have to catch a city bus in to town to get on the HoHo.

Thanks

Does the HoHo bus have a stop very close to the cruise ship terminal? I was confused when reading the posts whether we have to catch a city bus in to town to get on the HoHo.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure it does, and the "City Sightseeing" HOHO bus website implies it does. (See

http://www.city-sightseeing.com/documents/tours/438.pdf - you would be getting on at Estacio Maritima or possibly the Porto Pi stop and eventually heading around to go back over to the eastern part of Palma where most tourist attractions are located.

I'm pretty sure I remember the stop next to the public bus stop when we walked out of the port, although it takes maybe 5 minutes or so to get out onto the street. I think there were signs. I remember some kind of rental place on the way with funny cars/mopeds/something, and then we found the bus stops pretty easily. Maybe someone else can confirm that the City Sightseeing HoHo stops right near the port just in case my memory is faulty. We took a local bus from there, so I don't remember too much, except that someone else asked me if the bus to the beach stopped there, too. I wasn't sure about that, although I knew generally where the beach was located! Anyway, might want to check the City Sightseeing website.

The only possible problem is that there are two slightly different docking locations in Palma. The one that's farthest away (in other words to the west) I BELIEVE is often used by Costa, with most cruise ships (including ours, Oceania) using the other one that ends up across from the pretty Porto Pi lighthouse. If you dock at the farther location, I'm not sure the HOHO goes by, but I would think/hope so.

Thanks for the info!

We are on the NCL Epic, if that helps anyone know which dock we may be coming in at.

I too am curious about the HOHO off bus in Palma AND Barcelona and we are on the Epic also. Thanks in advance to anyone that can tell me where we dock if there is a HOHO stop close by that we can buy a ticket and hop on.

http://www.portsdebalears.com is the port web site for Mallorca (make sure Palma is selected, as the site covers several Balearic Island ports). I queried cruise calls from now until July or August and got this: http://www.portsdebalears.com/25.php3?idioma=eng&puerto=4&diainicio=05&mesinicio=04&anyoinicio=2015&diafin=25&mesfin=08&anyofin=2015 Hopefully you can just click on it to see a list, but if not:

It shows Norwegian Epic is there at least twice, in June and July, both times at Peraires, which is the most common (and best) docking area. That's where we docked last summer and also back in 2006. It looks like most cruise ships dock there, except for the AIDA cruise line, plus Mein Schiff. The site will show you who else is docking with you on the same day, and what hours, which is helpful in figuring out how many other cruisers might be there when you are.

As for Barcelona (you're lucky; we visited both BCN & Palma last summer!), port website is here:

http://www.portdebarcelona.cat/

If I remember correctly, there are quite a few different places you can dock there, but they're pretty much just along the same waterfront highway. With any luck, there's a HoHo that runs along the waterfront and stops in one or more strategic locations. I don't have much info for Barcelona as we got off the ship and went to the airport (sigh! Barcelona's a wonderful city!) I would google "City Sightseeing" to see if they have a HoHo, or if not, just google for a HoHo there and see if it looks like there's a stop near cruise port, crucero, or something like that. I'm sure Tomsportguides.com has a port guide for BCN, and he normally gives basic info on ways to tour a city, so he may have info.

(Going to Lisbon, Gibraltar, Valencia, or Seville? I have info for them, too, although maybe not HoHos, as I normally just use regular buses, walking, trams, etc.)

Edited by roothy123

• 1 month later...

We only had about 4, 4 1/2 hours to tour Mallorca. We were originally supposed to have about 7 hrs, but NCL shortened it to 5 hours, so realistically, that left us with 4 to 4 1/2 hours to tour. We booked Miguel Corral with mallorcatourguides for a private tour. The dude is very professional, very personable, very flexible, and spoke English pretty well. I booked him for a private tour for my family of 4 when I thought we had 6 hours in port. We settled on an itinerary that mainly included a stop and tour of the Castle, then a minivan ride to Valldemossa, Deia, and Soller with stops in Valledemossa and Soller. Well, when we finally got off the ship, we changed the itinerary on the spot given the new time constraints and did the Castle (with quick tour, but quick is all you need there), trip to Valledemossa and about 30 minutes to walk around (we could have stayed longer if we wanted, but we didn't), then a quick drive over towards Deia and a stop at a VERY scenic bluff overlook. After that, we went back into the city down by the Cathedral and walked around for a couple hours. Unfortunately, it was a Saturday and the Cathedral was closed for the afternoon, but a tour of the neighborhoods around the cathedral was both relaxing and interesting. All and all, a most enjoyable afternoon and I highly recommend it. I feel we saw the best of the Island in a short period of time. Even my 22 and 25 year old sons enjoyed it.

Nice video!

Just a few corrections: what you describe as "La rambla" is actually "Passeig des Born". "La rambla" is a bit upwards following Carrer Unió. You can actually walk the whole strip La Rambla - Carrer Unió - Passeig des Born since it is quite pleasing, and it doesn't take too much time.

Also the Cathedral was started in 1229, just after the conquer of Mallorca by the Catalans. It was built on the grounds of the muslim Mosque.

• 2 weeks later...

"I have read Palma Nova is closest beach.

Is it easy to get a taxi back to port there?

Bathrooms, food, drink, chairs, umbrellas available??"

Palma Nova is about 10 miles from the port. There is a taxi stand there across from the information center. 2 chairs and an umbrellas run 13.50 euros. Lots of places to eat and deink across the street from the beach, even a McDonalds.

I have read Palma Nova is closest beach.

Bathrooms, food, drink, chairs, umbrellas available??

Thanks

Kerri

Palma Nova is not the closest beach but its supposed to be one of the nicer beaches. The closest beach is Can Pere Antoni, which is only about 1 km (an easy walk) from the cathedral.

http://www.mallorca-beaches.com/can_pere_antoni_beach.htm

"I have read Palma Nova is closest beach.

Bathrooms, food, drink, chairs, umbrellas available??"

Palma Nova is about 10 miles from the port. There is a taxi stand there across from the information center. 2 chairs and an umbrellas run 13.50 euros. Lots of places to eat and deink across the street from the beach, even a McDonalds.

Palma Nova is not the closest beach but its supposed to be one of the nicer beaches. The closest beach is Can Pere Antoni, which is only about 1 km (an easy walk) from the cathedral.

http://www.mallorca-beaches.com/can_pere_antoni_beach.htm

Thanks for the great info:D

Kerri

Hi, I will be in Palma in early August and was thinking of the ho ho bus. I have two questions, can you pay on the bus or do you have to pre book and has any one used the buses with a small mobility scooter, I know they are wheel chair friendly so I am hoping it will be possible. Thanks.

This thread is exactly what I was looking for! When I saw PDM listed on a Mediterranean itinerary, I thought, "Short hours are OK because it is just lots of beaches." This is a wake-up call that yes, I will be busy in port if I go there on a Mediterranean cruise.

The only ship I can find that goes to the right places at the right times in 7 days is Harmony of the Seas. Does anyone know anything about RCI docking at PDM in early October?

• 4 weeks later...
Has anyone tried the Flyboard in Mallorca ?

Is it far from the port? Looks like something my teens would like

Hi, I had exactly the same thought - you will have cruised by now - curious to know if you tried Flyboard, and if you did, was there time to do it comfortably and get back to the ship without being under time pressure? How did you travel there, and of course, did the teens like it - the reviews I've seen on other sites are very good. :)thanks.