C/A Upgrades/Upsell New Policy

In theory, anyway. I wonder what an "eligible" booking is, and whether they will first notify Pinnacles, then D+, etc.

They could structure these upgrades in ways that favor higher tier members (for example... offer PC members upgrades one week, then add D+ the next week, and so on....or they could offer PC member a lower cost upgrade vs a similarly situated D+, who in turn might be offered a lower cost upgrade than a D, etc)

Or they could just throw the offers far and wide.

If travel agents gets lists of clients eligible for offers, those agencies with substantial numbers of bookings will likely quickly get an idea how the offers tend to be structured.

They could structure these upgrades in ways that favor higher tier members (for example... offer PC members upgrades one week, then add D+ the next week, and so on....or they could offer PC member a lower cost upgrade vs a similarly situated D+, who in turn might be offered a lower cost upgrade than a D, etc)

Or they could just throw the offers far and wide.

If travel agents gets lists of clients eligible for offers, those agencies with substantial numbers of bookings will likely quickly get an idea how the offers tend to be structured.

I suspect that they'll throw them far and wide because it's easier. That's how Princess does it - for some reason they price their full suites on many cruises at such a high price that they don't sell. Then they send an email out offering all Captains Circle members who are booked in minis the opportunity to upgrade for $199pp on a short cruise, more for longer ones. It's strictly first come first serve.

I wonder how long it will take them to remove the C&A upgrade perk from the website....

I suspect that they'll throw them far and wide because it's easier. That's how Princess does it - for some reason they price their full suites on many cruises at such a high price that they don't sell. Then they send an email out offering all Captains Circle members who are booked in minis the opportunity to upgrade for $199pp on a short cruise, more for longer ones. It's strictly first come first serve.

I wonder how long it will take them to remove the C&A upgrade perk from the website....

That is my suspicion, as well. Cast a wider net, catch more fish. Following that logic, it won't be long before they announce it on the website, to everyone. Strange price structure. :eek:

That is my suspicion, as well. Cast a wider net, catch more fish. Following that logic, it won't be long before they announce it on the website, to everyone. Strange price structure. :eek:

Good chance your suspicions will prove correct, though other options are available to the company. Time will tell.

I suppose if they cast a wide net while setting the initial upsell price rather high, then the first upsells will go to those who really want them enough to pay the rather stiff price, while those unwilling (or unable) to pay that relatively high price will not upsell immediately. Upsell costs could be lowered in ensuing weeks if the insufficient interest was shown at the high price point. That would give the company a high profit potential while letting the guests each pass judgement on the value of the upsell. We all already make similar decisions when prices drop on better categories on the website.

Personally, I hope they notify TA's and directly booked guests at the same time. Or at least have their cruise consultants reach our to direct booking guests at the same time TA's are able to reach out to their's. I'd hate to think my chances of snagging a nice upsell would actually drop if I decide to book direct.

Edited by Starry Eyes

Isn't this a change in policy?

"8. Will a CAS member receive the additional cruise point per night when upgraded from

a balcony to a junior suite?

No. CAS members who are upgraded to a JS will not receive the additional point per night"

I was under the impression that if it was a revenue upgrade you would get the point.

Edited by FLACRUISER99

I was under the impression that if it was a revenue upgrade you would get the point.

Not so new...

People who have taken these upsell to JS over the last several months have posted on cruise critic that they did not get the extra points.

I don't think it's a brand new policy, but I think it's relatively new.

The way I understand it, if you are in a balcony (or lower) and see a JS (or higher) come down in price enough so that you want to spring for the extra bucks to upgrade, then you get the extra points.

However, if Royal contacts you and offers a reduced price upgrade to a suite, then you don't get the extra points.

Never mind, hadn't moved to the second page to see if others had posted about the JR suite point change.

If they truly removed that bonus point for upgrading to a JS after the fact there goes my favorite past time if searching for them up until a few days prior to sailing. No fun!

Edited by JasonV1

Never mind, hadn't moved to the second page to see if others had posted about the JR suite point change.

If they truly removed that bonus point for upgrading to a JS after the fact there goes my favorite past time if searching for them up until a few days prior to sailing. No fun!

The last question on the flier states that if accepting the upsell TO a Junior Suite, there are no double points, meaning you would be paying a lesser price to upgrade from a balcony (or lower) category. If paying to upgrade (prior to any upsell offer), or booking a JS after final payment, then double points would still be awarded.

So, it's apparently a matter of semantics -- upsell, or upgrade. However, I see your point, there will probably be no last-minute deals.

Edited by travelgoddess1

I don't think it's a brand new policy, but I think it's relatively new.

The way I understand it, if you are in a balcony (or lower) and see a JS (or higher) come down in price enough so that you want to spring for the extra bucks to upgrade, then you get the extra points.

However, if Royal contacts you and offers a reduced price upgrade to a suite, then you don't get the extra points.

This now makes perfect (Royal) sense to me.:rolleyes:

What about if you get an upsell from a balcony or lower to a full suite (GS or higher), will you then get the double points? Or are double points out for any upsell?

Previously if you paid any money at all to upgrade to a suite you would get the double points. If no extra money was paid you would not. Seems to be different now.

What about if you get an upsell from a balcony or lower to a full suite (GS or higher), will you then get the double points? Or are double points out for any upsell?

Previously if you paid any money at all to upgrade to a suite you would get the double points. If no extra money was paid you would not. Seems to be different now.

If you accept an upsell offer from Royal, there will be no extra points, no matter what stateroom categories are involved.

If you upgrade on your own, paying the difference between what you have already paid and the published price of the new stateroom, then you would get the points appropriate to the new stateroom.

Edited by clarea

If you accept an upsell offer from Royal, there will be no extra points, no matter what stateroom categories are involved.

If you upgrade on your own, paying the difference between what you have already paid and the published price of the new stateroom, then you would get the points appropriate to the new stateroom.

If you read the last question and answer on the flier, it clearly states that no double points will be given for upgrade TO a Junior Suite, meaning that you initially paid for a category that awards single points, and that is what you get. If you are already in a JS or higher, you would preserve the points you had already paid for.

What am I missing? :confused:

Somehow I doubt I will have any better luck receiving an upsell offer email than I have receiving other emails from RCI - despite numerous attempts to sign up online and via phone using two different emails. For some reason, the only time I receive emails are those for the post-cruise survey.

If you read the last question and answer on the flier, it clearly states that no double points will be given for upgrade TO a Junior Suite, meaning that you initially paid for a category that awards single points, and that is what you get. If you are already in a JS or higher, you would preserve the points you had already paid for.

What am I missing? :confused:

You're correct Karen, I should have added that if you currently have a JS or higher booked, you would still get the extra points if you accept an upgrade offer from Royal.

Its disapointing that they never seem to 'upsell' in the UK.

I asked prior to them moving to Guatamala if they do upsells etc., and they had no idea what I was talking about. The agent then spoke to a Supervisor who that 'thats a US thing, we don't do it here' :(

Its disapointing that they never seem to 'upsell' in the UK.

I asked prior to them moving to Guatamala if they do upsells etc., and they had no idea what I was talking about. The agent then spoke to a Supervisor who that 'thats a US thing, we don't do it here' :(

Twice in 2013 we saw the price for our cruises drop a lot and, as you'll know, we don't get price drops in the UK. I phoned our TA to enquire about an upgrade from a Balcony to a JS at the new price, she contacted RCI and each time we got our upgrade for £50 each - one was an 8 night cruise to the Fjords and the other a 12 night to the Med. I hope this will apply to those of us in the UK as well because the favour shown to US passengers is already very unfair.

Gill