A Vent

All with 14 cruise under my belt, I decided to plan a Royal cruise because I've heard some good (and bad) things regarding their ships. i let the good out way the bad. I booked a group cruise with them last April for a May 29, 2016 sailing for my daughters graduation cruise. The rates were awesome. Family and friend were excited. Then I found out from her school, her graduation date would be the following week. No worries, I figure the rates would go up no more than $100 knowing that school vacation and honeymoons would make the price increase a bit.

I go to book it for June 12, 2016 last May only to find out, there were no rates available. They would be available in March 2015 :eek:. So this morning, I called Royal to find out the group rates, the agent gave me heart failure. Those rates have almost tripled. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? :eek: I could see if they were rates for the new ship, the Harmony. I would post the rates but I'm not sure if that's allow on cruise critic. I'm totally stunned.

So for now, Royal Caribbean is definitely out of my league, at least until I can cruise off season. WOW is absolutely right!!

All with 14 cruise under my belt, I decided to plan a Royal cruise because I've heard some good (and bad) things regarding their ships. i let the good out way the bad. I booked a group cruise with them last April for a May 29, 2016 sailing for my daughters graduation cruise. The rates were awesome. Family and friend were excited. Then I found out from her school, her graduation date would be the following week. No worries, I figure the rates would go up no more than $100 knowing that school vacation and honeymoons would make the price increase a bit.

I go to book it for June 12, 2016 last May only to find out, there were no rates available. They would be available in March 2015 :eek:. So this morning, I called Royal to find out the group rates, the agent gave me heart failure. Those rates have almost tripled. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? :eek: I could see if they were rates for the new ship, the Harmony. I would post the rates but I'm not sure if that's allow on cruise critic. I'm totally stunned.

So for now, Royal Caribbean is definitely out of my league, at least until I can cruise off season. WOW is absolutely right!!

But prices fluctuate constantly and June is a month of higher prices, always have been.

I am sorry to hear that the price is currently too high for your budget.

Many, many other parents likely also have kids completing school in those two weeks, so demand is higher in June than in late May. And Royal Caribbean may be setting it's initial price high, knowing they can lower it later if demand is not so strong that week after all.

I'd suggest you check other options; maybe one of them will fit into your budget. You could also keep checking the price of the desired cruise. This is day 1 of the booking window; there is time for rates to potentially fall(or rise for that matter).

Good luck

I am sorry to hear that the price is currently too high for your budget.

Many, many other parents likely also have kids completing school in those two weeks, so demand is higher in June than in late May. And Royal Caribbean may be setting it's initial price high, knowing they can lower it later if demand is not so strong that week after all.

I'd suggest you check other options; maybe one of them will fit into your budget. You could also keep checking the price of the desired cruise. This is day 1 of the booking window; there is time for rates to potentially fall(or rise for that matter).

Good luck

Thank you. I will most likely keep checking. I really would like to try Royal, but it was such a shock at the increase.

Thank you. I will most likely keep checking. I really would like to try Royal, but it was such a shock at the increase.

I'd have expected an increase, but triple would certainly shock me, too. I like Roayl Caribbean, but there is a limit to what I'll pay. And, honestly, often their peak summer rates are higher than I am willing to pay. Sometimes I can snag a decent last minute deal in summer, but I doubt you'd want to try to do that for a celebratory cruise:eek:.

From your signature, it appears you've been on Carnival a lot. Would you be happy enough with them? How are their rates that week for a (cancellable) reservation? If decent, maybe book with them while you watch Royal's pricing.

Yes, E/W and peak/off peak can severely affect the price.

Look at the pricing table for any spring/summer cruises. May and September will be much lower than June/July/August. Keep watching. Some sailings will not sell well for whatever reason and prices will be adjusted. Hard to tell now whether it will be the first week in June or the second week in July, etc.

I'd have expected an increase, but triple would certainly shock me, too. I like Roayl Caribbean, but there is a limit to what I'll pay. And, honestly, often their peak summer rates are higher than I am willing to pay. Sometimes I can snag a decent last minute deal in summer, but I doubt you'd want to try to do that for a celebratory cruise:eek:.

Okay, now that I've calmed down, compared to the May 29th sailing and the June 12th sailing, the rates went up $556 per person (group). :mad:

From your signature, it appears you've been on Carnival a lot. Would you be happy enough with them? How are their rates that week for a (cancellable) reservation? If decent, maybe book with them while you watch Royal's pricing.

:D since I've calmed down, that's is now the new plan.

Yes, E/W and peak/off peak can severely affect the price.

Look at the pricing table for any spring/summer cruises. May and September will be much lower than June/July/August. Keep watching. Some sailings will not sell well for whatever reason and prices will be adjusted. Hard to tell now whether it will be the first week in June or the second week in July, etc.

I'll definitely keep watching. A co-worker just mentioned the same thing, the prices may adjust in a couple of months where it is affordable.

Thanks all for your feedback!

I think I could read this FROM SPACE.

I'm fairly sure, as mentioned, this is pretty standard across the board.

I'm not sure why this is specific to one cruise line. Had you priced other cruise lines for May 29th and June 12th as well? Is this not happening anywhere else in the world?

I think I could read this FROM SPACE.

I'm fairly sure, as mentioned, this is pretty standard across the board.

I'm not sure why this is specific to one cruise line. Had you priced other cruise lines for May 29th and June 12th as well? Is this not happening anywhere else in the world?

Nope!

Going back to your original post...

I believe you are allowed to tell us the quoted price; I've not heard any rule against that.

If you used a travel agent, you cannot name the agent, but the $ amt should be OK.

If you do give the price, also give the category and # of guests per cabin.

Which question are you replying to?

I'll wager a strong guess that is the answer to your first question. The OP seems to want to try Oasis class, thus it is reasonable if, nope, the OP had not checked other lines as yet.

On the other hand, one might have thought your second question to be rhetorical...No matter how clever the OP might be, it is unlikely the OP knows if something is "not happening anywhere else in the world?"

I'll wager a strong guess that is the answer to your first question. The OP seems to want to try Oasis class, thus it is reasonable if, nope, the OP had not checked other lines as yet.

On the other hand, one might have thought your second question to be rhetorical...No matter how clever the OP might be, it is unlikely the OP knows if something is "not happening anywhere else in the world?"

Maybe if I said everywhere else in the world. Anywhere can be a small sampling.

Maybe if I said everywhere else in the world. Anywhere can be a small sampling.

So, that was not a rhetorical question? If not, your phraseology needs work.

Had you asked "Is this not happening everywhere else in the world?" the OP could have answered "nope" upon finding just one place it was not happening.

OTOH, for the OP to answer "nope" to your actual question "Is this not happening anywhere else in the world?", the OP would have needed to check absolutely every other place to verify it is happening no where else. That would be quite a waste of the OP's time.

Rhetorical or not, I'm not sure your question was especially helpful to the OP. If you do not wish to be helpful, why post on this thread? That is rhetorical, by the way.

What type of rooms are you looking into? Are you looking at Oasis/Allure? If you do the Western, it should be cheaper...

What was the rate before? What's the rate now? Are you sure they are giving you the group rate instead of the standard rate?

So, that was not a rhetorical question? If not, your phraseology needs work.

Had you asked "Is this not happening everywhere else in the world?" the OP could have answered "nope" upon finding just one place it was not happening.

OTOH, for the OP to answer "nope" to your actual question "Is this not happening anywhere else in the world?", the OP would have needed to check absolutely every other place to verify it is happening no where else. That would be quite a waste of the OP's time.

Rhetorical or not, I'm not sure your question was especially helpful to the OP. If you do not wish to be helpful, why post on this thread? That is rhetorical, by the way.

Thank you!

What type of rooms are you looking into? Are you looking at Oasis/Allure? If you do the Western, it should be cheaper...

What was the rate before? What's the rate now? Are you sure they are giving you the group rate instead of the standard rate?

It was definitely a group rate I had booked on the Allure. As previously stated, I knew the rates would increase, but not at such a ridiculous amount.

I had 4 different categories originally booked in April 2014 for the May 29, 2016 sailing. The rates pp were:

• $760 interior
  • $840 this was central parkview
  • $1,030 balcony
  • $1,440 JR Suite

The inside cabin now is an additional $386 pp, the balcony is an additional $546 pp. I didn't even ask for the JR suite price. :eek: The additional amounts for us could be airfare. If we could sail at a later date, we would, but the child will be off to college! This will her last vacation with the family for a while.

Again, I appreciate the feedback. Starry Eyes had a great suggestion which I plan to follow through on tomorrow!

Thank you!

It was definitely a group rate I had booked on the Allure. As previously stated, I knew the rates would increase, but not at such a ridiculous amount.

I had 4 different categories originally booked in April 2014 for the May 29, 2016 sailing. The rates pp were:

• $760 interior
  • $840 this was central parkview
  • $1,030 balcony
  • $1,440 JR Suite

The inside cabin now is an additional $386 pp, the balcony is an additional $546 pp. I didn't even ask for the JR suite price. :eek: The additional amounts for us could be airfare. If we could sail at a later date, we would, but the child will be off to college! This will her last vacation with the family for a while.

Again, I appreciate the feedback. Starry Eyes had a great suggestion which I plan to follow through on tomorrow!

The rates haven't even doubled, let alone tripled.:confused:

Should everyone run all questions past you to check to see if they are worthy to be in a thread? That's not rhetorical, by the way.

I believe that I'm allowed to post in any thread I find a whim to post in.

No. Looks like they're about 50% higher for the June 12 sailing. That kind of variation is not unusual, depending on demand, whether you're talking about Royal Caribbean or Carnival or just about any other cruise line. (Maybe for the luxury lines, it's not tied as much to school calendars.) They might even be up 50% on the May 29 sailing, compared to where they were in April 2014.

Edited by Paul65

You are right, again the shock factor made me vent before realizing the true amount. I mean we are talking about an additional $1,000+ per cabin (balcony), and to me, that's alot. As you can see in my signature I've sailed a lot of prime time sailings and have never paid that much for my cruise. And my cabin has always been on the Lido deck, near the Lido deck.

No. Looks like they're about 50% higher for the June 12 sailing. That kind of variation is not unusual, depending on demand, whether you're talking about Royal Caribbean or Carnival or just about any other cruise line. (Maybe for the luxury lines, it's not tied as much to school calendars.) They might even be up 50% on the May 29 sailing, compared to where they were in April 2014.

Yes, you are right about the May 29th sailing. That jump up as well. I'm going to blame this on the high school for switching my daughter's graduation date. :D

Should everyone run all questions past you to check to see if they are worthy to be in a thread? That's not rhetorical, by the way.

I believe that I'm allowed to post in any thread I find a whim to post in.

Oh my, I must wonder: Do you at all understand the concept of a rhetorical question?

Let's review...You ask what would well pass as a rhetorical question, then query if it were answered. later you proclaim that question was not rhetorical. I respond with a (carefully, specifically-labeled) rhetorical question. As such my question required no answer, yet you answered. that answer included what could be considered a decent rhetorical question, while saying it it not rhetorical!

Were your question above rhetorical, you'd have a point: I have no role in moderating posts, nor do I desire one. Fine, post if you will, though my rhetorical question stands...why bother if you do not wish to help the OP. The OP's had a disappointing day and does need people stepping (figuratively, BTW) on them.

If your question above is not rhetorical, well, you perhaps could use some assistance and education, though likely your needs are beyond my capacity....good luck to you.

Oh my, I must wonder: Do you at all understand the concept of a rhetorical question?

Let's review...You ask what would well pass as a rhetorical question, then query if it were answered. later you proclaim that question was not rhetorical. I respond with a (carefully, specifically-labeled) rhetorical question. As such my question required no answer, yet you answered. that answer included what could be considered a decent rhetorical question, while saying it it not rhetorical!

Were your question above rhetorical, you'd have a point: I have no role in moderating posts, nor do I desire one. Fine, post if you will, though my rhetorical question stands...why bother if you do not wish to help the OP. The OP's had a disappointing day and does need people stepping (figuratively, BTW) on them.

If your question above is not rhetorical, well, you perhaps could use some assistance and education, though likely your needs are beyond my capacity....good luck to you.

You sure is smart and stuff. Thanks.

Darn helpful, too!

I understand the shock, but what I have found over the years is a lot of what others have mentioned:

• Western Caribbean Itineraries are usually less expensive than Eastern
  • Oasis leaving on Saturday is usually less expensive than Allure leaving on Sunday
  • Cruises departing in May are usually less expensive than cruises departing in June

The latter seems to be universal independent of itinerary.

If you are not too picky about the actual ship or itinerary, and you are OK with traveling on the day of embarkation or can travel on Friday, you might check on Oasis itineraries for the Western Caribbean.