What Stage of Cruise Addiction Am I At ?

jertom

This could be a general thread but I particularly respect the opinion of O cruisers.

I used to wait for the next booked cruise and really research the ports and the ship and what events might be going on.

Now I seem to spend less time at that, and concentrate more on what might be our next cruise to book and when will the cruise lines release their next cruises?

My question is: is this the final stage of addiction, or are there more stages beyond that?

Waiting for the next new ships?

Can I ever go back to a previous stage?

I am seriously interested in the opinions of veteran cruisers !

Tom

This stage is called hopeless but not yet terminal (however, it is wonderful) :D

I can definitely relate though I am beyond it now. Now I want to know when they will finally cruise to Papua New Guinea, Guadalcanal, Yap and the Northern passage (instead of Civitavecchia & Barcelona over and over again) :D - especially as they just got an extra ship (Sirena).

Edited by Paulchili

Paulchili,

Thanks for the reply. Hopeless, not terminal, wonderful. "Wonderful" sums up that we are all lucky to be cruising, of course.

Still looking for what might be my next stage.

Tom

I like Paulchili's description:-) If you are waiting for itineraries to come out (as we are), IMO, that is fairly deep into addiction. For better or worse, we are at that stage. I suppose this condition is "curable", but I have yet to find a reason to seek a cure.

I guess we're terminal as well, although we don't cruise as often as we used to.

But we used to look for a cruise leaving within 6 months ... then we started booking a year ahead ... and now we book when we see a new itinerary we like. So far that's pretty much been 18 months out ...

Then it becomes very frustrating while you WAIT ... on the other hand, lots of time to do port research!

I do doubt there is any going back ...

Mura

I think I am in the final stage..Stu will no longer fly to Europe (flights to hard on him) but if I dont have at least two to three cruises booked at any time I go into withdrawl..so many Alaska, Panama Canal and now even trying NCL Boston to Boston, wish O would go to Hawaii as I love LA to LA and no flying at all!! Sirena doing LA to LA in 16..sure I will be on it..

Jancruz1

We are over going to Europe unless it is a non-stop (after our next cruise) and we also wait for the next releases. It gets that way when you settle in to which cruise line or cruise lines you would love to go on. I would say you are close to terminal, in my opinion.

This could be a general thread but I particularly respect the opinion of O cruisers.

I used to wait for the next booked cruise and really research the ports and the ship and what events might be going on.

Now I seem to spend less time at that, and concentrate more on what might be our next cruise to book and when will the cruise lines release their next cruises?

My question is: is this the final stage of addiction, or are there more stages beyond that?

Waiting for the next new ships?

Can I ever go back to a previous stage?

I am seriously interested in the opinions of veteran cruisers !

Tom

LOL! I cal OCPD...obsessive cruise planning disorder (it's a variation of OTPD ...obsessive travel planning disorder, of which I would be a card carrying member if there were a support group). Have fun planning your trips and cruises, it's a great diversion from the everyday stuff that might seem mundane. I would much rather think about port excursions than my next grocery list...:)

LOL! I cal OCPD...obsessive cruise planning disorder (it's a variation of OTPD ...obsessive travel planning disorder, of which I would be a card carrying member if there were a support group). Have fun planning your trips and cruises, it's a great diversion from the everyday stuff that might seem mundane. I would much rather think about port excursions than my next grocery list...:)

plus 1 (what grocery list! LOL)

Jancruz1

I think I am in the final stage..Stu will no longer fly to Europe (flights to hard on him) but if I dont have at least two to three cruises booked at any time I go into withdrawl..so many Alaska, Panama Canal and now even trying NCL Boston to Boston, wish O would go to Hawaii as I love LA to LA and no flying at all!! Sirena doing LA to LA in 16..sure I will be on it..

Jancruz1

Jan - there is something to be said for that. We did a Norwegian Sun SF to SF roundtrip that was great, back when Jody was getting over her illness.

And I just can't see spending 30-35 hours flying to Cape Town to do a Cape Town to Rio cruise. It's just really hard on the body.

gary

Try a two and a half year wait for a ridiculously long cruise. We booked the world cruise in July, 2013 and (hopefully) will finally sail in January, 2016. Then, almost as soon as we get home, back to Siam Reap for a river cruise down the Mekong River to Ho Chi Minh City. With a couple of American river cruises in between and an NCL cruise this November, right before the WC. And looking for our next cruise, maybe in November, 2016.

That may be somewhat addictive.

Jancruz1

Just curious about how long it takes you to fly to Europe? (pick any airport you like).

It is the biggest problem with living Down Under where it is a long haul of at least 20 hours of actual flying time.

As we get older it gets harder (even in the front end of a plane) and is the worst part of a cruising holiday.

We have seen most of the Australian/ New Zealand/South Pacific areas but there are many other parts of the world not yet discovered by us

Steve

Just curious about how long it takes you to fly to Europe? (pick any airport you like).

It is the biggest problem with living Down Under where it is a long haul of at least 20 hours of actual flying time.

As we get older it gets harder (even in the front end of a plane) and is the worst part of a cruising holiday.

We have seen most of the Australian/ New Zealand/South Pacific areas but there are many other parts of the world not yet discovered by us

Steve

Direct from Los Angeles to say Frankfurt is about 11-12 hours. From New York it's about 8-9 hours. London is about 1 hour less. We just got back from down under (Australia and NZ) and while the flight was long (we flew Qantas Premium Economy) it was totally bearable and WELL worth it. We flew from Orlando FL to Los Angeles, stayed over then took the long haul to Sydney (and reverse from Auckland). You live in a fantastic part of the world my friend! We are already planning a return to spend more time. So lovely and friendly. Fell in love with Sydney, Wellington and Napier in particular. :)

Edited by corpkid

I am really happy to see so many comments on our addictions !

A lot of us are happily sick !

I hope to see more comments, but right now I am thinking....if my current stage is being desperate to book cruises as soon as new itineraries are released, the next step might be to look beyond our comfort zones. For example, we have settled in on NCL and O as our preferred lines, and ship sizes from 1200 pax to about 2500. And, as some of you have mentioned, long flights are NOT preferred.

Could the next step be to start edging out of our comfort zones purely because other lines and/or other ships release their itineraries earlier?

Where would that stop?

Tom

1. Most of our Europe flights run 10:20 - 11:50 hours via modern wide body aircraft. Beats doing it by military C-130 or C-141s on nylon strap seating! We're coming back from our upcoming TA on an Airbus 380, something I always said I wouldn't do. Same reason I've sworn off riding the latest monster floating cities. Can you say moooooo?

2. SWMbI and I am a bit more frugal. While we've definitely been bitten by the cruise bug, late in life I'll add, we generally have only one or two cruises booked at a time. But if we don't, one or the other of us will start getting antsy to sail away somewhere.

3. Cruising as a way of life where a good part of the crew is dedicated to insure your every pleasure and comfort is addictive in the extreme. Coming home while pleasant to be in your own bed can be a harsh decompression when you have to cook your own much simpler breakfast and clean and take out the trash inevitably reminds one of so much we've left behind..

So it's anchors aweigh as often as we can - and ye aulde exchecqer allows.

JMBobb

B.S. This being said, we're wait-listed for next February's Australia to New Zealand voyage and the accompanying long/unconscionably expensive airfare required to catch the Marina.

This is SO me! I can't even count the number of hours (days...weeks...) I spent researching my next cruise. And now that I have my next cruise booked, I find myself sitting at work fighting the urge to open up a browser and start googling private tours at all my ports. And more often than I care to admit, google wins. :o (Shhh...don't tell my boss!)

Could the next step be to start edging out of our comfort zones purely because other lines and/or other ships release their itineraries earlier?

Where would that stop?

I'm thinking, the final stage might be just chucking it all and booking yourself on a ship permanently. ;) There are several people who do that, y'know...one lovely lady I shared a table with on Crystal Symphony basically lives onboard.

Or there's that other form of final stage, which I'm actually headed for: chucking it all and getting onboard your own boat and heading out to sea! Yes, that's how much I love being at sea. If it's not on a cruise ship, it's on our own sailboat. Unfortunately we never hit the lofty financial heights necessary to be able to book a permanent cabin on a luxury cruise ship, so instead we bought our own sailboat and we're deep into planning our five-year journey on it. Current plan is to retire and set sail in October 2017.

But in the meantime, there's Oceania...:D

This thread has been a revelation. Although I have a degree in Psychology, I must have missed Travel Addiction. Itinerary fixation, desire to book even multiple cruises, obsessive attention to detail, flights, tours, are also among my symptoms. In truth, I do not intend to seek a cure. When we finally board the next ship of choice, enter our stateroom. and find the chilled bottle of champagne, I actually thank my enablers. At the moment, we have three cruises booked. On sea days, I intend to lounge on our balconies, and muse about what happens when an addict runs our of itineraries.

Mary

Edited by warburg

This thread has been a revelation. Although I have a degree in Psychology, I must have missed Travel Addiction. Itinerary fixation, desire to book even multiple cruises, obsessive attention to detail, flights, tours, are also among my symptoms. In truth, I do not intend to seek a cure. When we finally board the next ship of choice, enter our stateroom. and find the chilled bottle of champagne, I actually thank my enablers. At the moment, we have three cruises booked. On sea days, I intend to lounge on our balconies, and muse about what happens when an addict runs our of itineraries.

Mary

As to a cure...I can live with the affliction. I spent the day working frequent flyer mileage scenarios for trips to either South America or Europe. We have three mileage programs...and all are a bit short, so it becomes a fun logic problem on how to mix and match. Now that they are all allowing one way flight redemptions, it becomes a bit more challenging.

Surely you mean less challenging (and much more flexible)? :D

You're right.. prior to this, I would have just given up in frustration, because it would have been impossible. :) But, now I have three pools of miles with which to work for the best possible solutions, using some of each... it's enough to drive Rubic into a madhouse..much less, an idiot like me. And, add to that, I'm working with two months, November and December, where the airlines start throwing curveballs with mileage increases as you get close to the holidays. Have it down to working on a Peru with either Panama or Bogata or a Madrid-Morocco.:D

After many hours, I think I've gotten close to a solution...but only if I get creative with my work/vacation schedule.

Sounds like "points and miles" is an addiction too !

Tom :eek:

You'd better believe it!

How else could you get to your cruises in First/Business and stay in hotels pre & post cruise for free? :D ..and you can combine the two and get miles for your cruises too.

These are the kind of addictions you don't worry about nor do you look for a cure - just indulge in them "freely" . :)

You'd better believe it!

How else could you get to your cruises in First/Business and stay in hotels pre & post cruise for free? :D ..and you can combine the two and get miles for your cruises too.

These are the kind of addictions you don't worry about nor do you look for a cure - just indulge in them "freely" . :)

Yes, they effectively lower the price of the cruise! The sign up bonus on the AA card and buying some groceries for a few months for points just about gets both of us to South America for a land trip. I just need another point sale. I passed on the last one I saw because DH had a medical issue that could have made travel impossible. (Note: if a Dr. ever tries to prescribe Lamisil, consider that it might cure your toenail fungus by putting you 10 feet under:eek:) But, things have turned signicantly better for him in the past week, that the trip seems to be a go.

Figuring out the best use of the various points is actually a fun logic problem...one needs to keep enough points in each pot for at least a trip to Europe. :)

Quote I passed on the last one I saw because DH had a medical issue that could have made travel impossible. (Note: if a Dr. ever tries to prescribe Lamisil, consider that it might cure your toenail fungus by putting you 10 feet under:eek:) But, things have turned signicantly better for him in the past week, that the trip seems to be a go. Unquote

Oh my! So sorry to hear about the awful health issue confronting your DH. I think you both deserve a nice long vacation, especially after the aborted Insignia cruise in December!

Jilll