Just announced moving Caribbean Princess to British Isles for 2016s

robinlynn

I guess I sounded a lot fussier than I really am, and an older ship would be fine if it is kept up, but this review plus the earlier review that two ports were missed due to maintenance issues does make me uncomfortable. I was very excited last week when I saw a newer ship was doing the British Isles and was disappointed to just find out about this change to a 14 year old ship. This posting confirms my doubts. I apologize if I offended anyone. That was certainly not my intent.

The above cruise missed one port due to maintenance issue. The second port missed was due to weather.It was a tender port.

You should be aware that missing ports can be a problem for any ship despite it's age. Weather is in control of the cruise. If missing a port would be devastating, you would be better off visiting the port on a land tour.

We had a great cruise on the CB. Besides, on the European itineraries they are very port intensive and you should be ashore most of the time. We've booked the CB for our next Princess cruise in 2016.

We were on the Caribbean Princess during her inaugural season in Sept. 2004. That happened to be Hurricane Jeanne week. The ship held her own quite well the one day we had the high swells. It was brand new, having been put in service in April, 2004, I believe.

Then, we were on her again in Sept. 2014. It was like coming/going home. She was so comfortable and familiar. I'm not sure that any of us look the same after 13 years of wear and tear. There were no mechanical problems on our 9 day cruise last fall.

In 2013 we were on the Royal Princess. Ooh, aah.....the piazza was gorgeous. But, the venues were the same, only bigger. And, some of the spaces we enjoyed were no longer there, like the aft pool and the promenade deck. We enjoyed ourselves but the ship wasn't as intimate. Hubby said the ship was too big for him.

I hope you find what you're looking forward to in a ship. But, remember, we tend to navigate as well ourselves, even with our wrinkles and bad knees.

We would go for the ports, not the ship. Good luck.

Lynne

We absolutely loved our CB cruise and our aft Penthouse Suite. Even with the extra deck of cabins she didn't feel crowded. And she wasn't tired nor worn - just a grand, grand class ship.

But we also loved our 10-day cruise on the Grand Princess which many posters say has lots of issues - not one of which we saw.

But . . . maybe when we cruise we just want to enjoy the experience instead of looking for negatives. I guess you could say we see the ocean half full, not half empty. :cool:

We were on the Caribbean Princess Feb 21-26. We had a mini-suite on the Dolphin deck and thought the ship was just fine. It has all the features of the Grand Class of ships which we are familiar with. It did not seem rusty and worn out to us. My favorite ships are the Royal and the Regal; my wife's favorite is the Coral.

I think people should be able to speak their minds on this board without having their heads bitten off for being critical of Princess or one of its ships. Said ships did not descend from the heavens on golden tablets. They all have good and bad sides, and being critical of them should not result in a "Bye, see you when we pass a Carnival ship."

There's no doubt that the CB is getting a little tired & worn but I suspect it'll all be resolved when in dry dock very soon. We wouldn't hesitate to sail on it again as soon as it's rejuvenated. :D

Will this ship be in dry dock before we go on her in August does anyone know?

Thanks

There's no doubt that the CB is getting a little tired & worn but I suspect it'll all be resolved when in dry dock very soon. We wouldn't hesitate to sail on it again as soon as it's rejuvenated. :D

Glad to hear it is going into dry dock for a " rejuvenation", as it has the perfect itinerary we are looking to try. I am amazed at the personal attacks I received from fellow cruisers on this board. I don't think my disappointment at the switch from a new to a much older ship should be that surprising. Again, I am sorry if I offended anyone. As I have mentioned before, no offense was intended. I am looking forward to trying Princess for the first time on this cruise, if in fact, it is going into dry dock for some maintenance.

Thanks very much for this much appreciated information.

Robin

I think people should be able to speak their minds on this board without having their heads bitten off for being critical of Princess or one of its ships. Said ships did not descend from the heavens on golden tablets. They all have good and bad sides, and being critical of them should not result in a "Bye, see you when we pass a Carnival ship."

Thank you for the support. I really meant no harm when I posted!

I was quite surprised by some of the nasty comments I received.

Thanks again

Robin

Will this ship be in dry dock before we go on her in August does anyone know?

Thanks

I don't see any dry dock plans on this schedule:

https://sites.google.com/site/princesscruisesfaq/ships/fleet-drydock-schedule

I was on the Caribbean Princess in February, though, and found it to be in great shape. I don't spend much time at the pool, though, which is where some have mentioned being disappointed. The only negative I came away with was how small the showers are. That won't keep from sailing on the Caribbean Princess this summer to the arctic circle for the summer solstice, though. I'm really looking forward to it.

Edited by Mackenzie1

I think you stay home and brood over this entirely disastrous move on the part of Princess. Are they aware of your unhappiness? They may turn their world upside down to fit your needs. We are going on that old crusty boat again in a month. I'll bring some paint. Have a nice day.:)

The OP has a valid concern. While we look at the ocean half full, not half empty (and we loved both our CB and Grand cruises not seeing any ship issues at all) we also would be interested in an older ship's condition before selecting it -- especially on a line we hadn't been on before and thus weren't familiar with specifics.

A valid question asked in an inquiring, non-negative way...

This is not the best way to endear yourself to the Priness board readers.

The CB is quite nice. We sailed on her in September and, as always, enjoyed the grand class ship.

Perhaps you should try to find such a lovely itinerary on your beloved solstice class ships on Celebrity.

Glad to hear that she has been spruced up.

We will be on her for the 4th time next month.

On our last cruise she looked in bad shape with no varnish on some railings, the balcony furniture was in disrepair but I have heard that the balcony furniture has been replaced but some don't like the new furniture.

The lights in the nightstands were worn badly too.

Hoping to find her in better shape next month.:)

Bill

The OP has a valid concern. While we look at the ocean half full, not half empty (and we loved both our CB and Grand cruises not seeing any ship issues at all) we also would be interested in an older ship's condition before selecting it -- especially on a line we hadn't been on before and thus weren't familiar with specifics.

A valid question asked in an inquiring, non-negative way...

I think some of the frustration here is because there's a natural instinct to want to help others, and there's no advice anyone can give to help OP because she already has her mind made up that she would not be happy taking a British Isles cruise on the Caribbean Princess. I personally think OP should not take this cruise if she already has her mind made up that she will not be happy. Maybe Cunard has some options because they are a British cruise company.

Hi,

I didn't mean to come across too salty. Rather than attacking the poster, I guess I was defending the Caribbean Princess. And, my point was that we are all worn in places. :) I would hope that the OP reconsiders, if the CB gets spruced up. We did actually laugh each day in September when one man's job seemed to be continually varnishing the railings. He did his job well, as many of them were tacky. :D

We all enjoy our cruises for different reasons. Some of us have sailed on the older ships for years, and gradually the new ones have been introduced. The CB was so cool because it had MUTS. We thought the Golden was so large after being on the Sun Princess.

So, enjoy your cruise.....whatever ship suits you the most. The one thing we have in common here is that we are all fellow cruisers and just love the adventure of it all, and share our experiences.

Lynne

I think you stay home and brood over this entirely disastrous move on the part of Princess. Are they aware of your unhappiness? They may turn their world upside down to fit your needs. We are going on that old crusty boat again in a month. I'll bring some paint. Have a nice day.:)

This is what the crusty boat looked like in 2012. We have an inside this cruise so the railings and balcony chairs won't matter if they are still the same.:D

princess1a.jpg

princess2a.jpg

princess5.jpg

Bill

I was planning a trip for 2016 to the British Isles on the fairly new

Royal Princess for a special anniversary until I just read that Princess is moving the Caribbean Princess for these sailings. I looked up this ship, which was built in 2004. There is no way I am taking this very special trip on a 13 year old ship, as I have been very spoiled with my new Celebrity Solstice class sailings of Europe in the past. I am so disappointed. The pictures of the Caribbean Princess look like a tired old ship that could use a major retrofitting.

Even though the Princess sailing was the perfect itinerary that fit our needs, I know I would not be happy on such a tired looking ship.

Very disappointed

Robin

We did the british isles cruise in 2013 on carribean princess and had a great time. So much so that we are sailing on cb again this year. We have also sailed on celebrity solstice, but found the ship didnt flow as well as princess. Who has a jogging track on the top deck where all the sun beds are .