Just announced moving Caribbean Princess to British Isles for 2016s

robinlynn

I was planning a trip for 2016 to the British Isles on the fairly new

Royal Princess for a special anniversary until I just read that Princess is moving the Caribbean Princess for these sailings. I looked up this ship, which was built in 2004. There is no way I am taking this very special trip on a 13 year old ship, as I have been very spoiled with my new Celebrity Solstice class sailings of Europe in the past. I am so disappointed. The pictures of the Caribbean Princess look like a tired old ship that could use a major retrofitting.

Even though the Princess sailing was the perfect itinerary that fit our needs, I know I would not be happy on such a tired looking ship.

Very disappointed

Robin

Edited by robinlynn

It's a shame you feel that way. Yes she is older, but certainly night tired and worn out. Had a great sailing on her last April, BUT, I can certainly understand wanting to try out the new Regal or Royal for the ship experance alone. I hope an upcoming itenerary sailing on one of them is in your future. Sorry this special anniversary sailing didn't work out.

From what I understand, it's a very nice ship. It's really too bad that you already have so many misconceptions... You should find something else. By the way, the Caribbean Princess has done British Isles many times, there's nothing unusual about it. Did you check the Royal and Regal itineraries since you seem to prefer new and shiny new ships?

Royal Princess for a special anniversary until I just read that Princess is moving the Caribbean Princess for these sailings. I looked up this ship, which was built in 2004. There is no way I am taking this very special trip on a 13 year old ship, as I have been very spoiled with my new Celebrity Solstice class sailings of Europe in the past. I am so disappointed. The pictures of the Caribbean Princess look like a tired old ship that could use a major retrofitting.

Even though the Princess sailing was the perfect itinerary that fit our needs, I know I would not be happy on such a tired looking ship.

Very disappointed

Robin

We've been on both (and will be on the Royal again in October) and they are very different but that is not to say the Caribbean Princess is bad. It didn't seem tired when we sailed a year and a half ago. In fact we loved it for the British Isles cruise because it has window suites (unlike the Royal) that cost basically the same as a mini-suite but are much larger and entitle you to all the full suite perks. It was a fantastic cabin since the BI cruise is very port intensive and the weather can be dicey.

Everyone's priorities are different but I wouldn't pick newness of a ship over itinerary. Hope you find something that fits your priorities -- it is a wonderful cruise especially if you go in August and attend the Edinburg Tattoo.

The number of ports visited will mean you are more or less just eating and sleeping aboard. Don't let the ship put you off exploring our wonderful history, architecture and cultures.

I have sailed on the Grand Princess 5 times now, not because I like the ship but because of where she is sailing.

Very disappointed

Robin

We were booked on this ship a couple of years ago for a British Isles cruise. We completely missed the port of Liverpool because the ship left Southhampton a day late due to mechanical difficulties. I was on the ship again in the Caribbean last year and they again had mechanical difficulties although we did not miss any ports that time. This is one ship I would never book if I were worried about missing ports.

Very disappointed

Robin

Other than age and size the Caribbean Princess most of the features that the New Royal or Regal have . The one draw back of the Regal and Royal is that many (almost all) balconies are smaller than the older ships.

Very disappointed

Robin

Why did you even consider Princess then? You don't show any sailings on the brand in your signature. :confused:

I would think that Celebrity, which you favor, would have an itinerary for the British Isles. :)

Very disappointed

Robin

Thanks for the heads up! I love, love, love the Caribbean Princess (and the Grand Class of ships), and I'm very happy to learn that the CB will cruising the British Isles cruises next year! The itineraries are not online yet, so we'll just have to wait to see what Princess will be offering.

I was happy to see it would be the Caribbean Princess. Hoping to sail the British Isles next year. I'm happy to see that there is that "in between" price point with the fact there are oceanview cabins....not just a jump from interior to balcony :D

We've been on both (and will be on the Royal again in October) and they are very different but that is not to say the Caribbean Princess is bad. It didn't seem tired when we sailed a year and a half ago. In fact we loved it for the British Isles cruise because it has window suites (unlike the Royal) that cost basically the same as a mini-suite but are much larger and entitle you to all the full suite perks. It was a fantastic cabin since the BI cruise is very port intensive and the weather can be dicey.

Everyone's priorities are different but I wouldn't pick newness of a ship over itinerary. Hope you find something that fits your priorities -- it is a wonderful cruise especially if you go in August and attend the Edinburg Tattoo.

We are on the Caribbean Princess this Nov, and tried to book at Window Suite and it is the only category that is totally booked at this time! We were in a Window Suite and a penthouse suite on two different trips last year and we preferred the Window Suite . . Regardless, We can't wait to be on the Caribbean again

Very disappointed

Robin

This is not the best way to endear yourself to the Priness board readers.

The CB is quite nice. We sailed on her in September and, as always, enjoyed the grand class ship.

Perhaps you should try to find such a lovely itinerary on your beloved solstice class ships on Celebrity.

Having just returned from a Caribbean cruise on the CP I have to say that we found the ship not only very tired, but quite rusty. We know ships get rusty at sea but this was very noticeable. There were very tired uncomfortable lounge chairs in many public areas. She just generally looked unloved. You normally see crew, painting, varnishing, cleaning most every day somewhere, but no sight of any. We did wonder if she was due a major re-fit. We wouldn't go out of our way to sail on her again and we are die hard Princess fans. The crew were fabulous as usual and the food etc all great. For us the 'ship' is our holiday. We just love being onboard and all cruising entails.

Having just returned from a Caribbean cruise on the CP I have to say that we found the ship not only very tired, but quite rusty. We know ships get rusty at sea but this was very noticeable. There were very tired uncomfortable lounge chairs in many public areas. She just generally looked unloved. You normally see crew, painting, varnishing, cleaning most every day somewhere, but no sight of any. We did wonder if she was due a major re-fit. We wouldn't go out of our way to sail on her again and we are die hard Princess fans. The crew were fabulous as usual and the food etc all great. For us the 'ship' is our holiday. We just love being onboard and all cruising entails.

I guess I sounded a lot fussier than I really am, and an older ship would be fine if it is kept up, but this review plus the earlier review that two ports were missed due to maintenance issues does make me uncomfortable. I was very excited last week when I saw a newer ship was doing the British Isles and was disappointed to just find out about this change to a 14 year old ship. This posting confirms my doubts. I apologize if I offended anyone. That was certainly not my intent.

I guess I sounded a lot fussier than I really am, and an older ship would be fine if it is kept up, but this review plus the earlier review that two ports were missed due to maintenance issues does make me uncomfortable. I was very excited last week when I saw a newer ship was doing the British Isles and was disappointed to just find out about this change to a 14 year old ship. This posting confirms my doubts. I apologize if I offended anyone. That was certainly not my intent.

Cruises cost a lot of money, and you should go on the ship that you think you will enjoy the most. Personally, I prefer ships with more public space, like the Caribbean Princess, and regret the ever shrinking public spaces to relax in on cruise ships that have been exchanged for more cabins. This is happening throughout the cruise industry, though. Viking River Cruises used to be a great cruise line. Even though I've missed several ports on Viking cruises because of maintenance issues, I still enjoyed Viking, that is, until they started cramming more cabins into their longships at the expense of public spaces. Viking now needs to bring folding chairs into the lounge area to accommodate passengers, which I don't find desirable at all.

Edited by Mackenzie1