Carnival Splendor - food

beshears

If you have been on the Carnival splendor (this will be our first time on this ship) within the past year, I have a question.

What was your favourite food to eat or order, but not at a paying restaurant? If it was not in the main dining room (yes, it can be that too), what was the name of the place to get this food or treat?

Been on the Splendor in September and again this January. We loved the Deli sandwiches on the Lido and there are stairs in the Lido to the Rotisserie, loved the food and it's so private and quiet. In the main dining room the food was mostly good with enough choices but you can never go wrong with the soups, outstanding. Of course, the chocolate melting cake is amazing. Breakfast is pretty standard on Carnival and after so many cruises, I wish they would shake things up a bit and maybe offer a donut or something different. Getting tired of the same old Danish and coffee cake. The omelets are good but by the time you get served in the main dining room most of it is cold. Have yet to be on any line with good coffee.

I know you said only no cost options but the Steakhouse is divine if you can afford it one night. The ship is one of my favorites, have a wonderful cruise and I'm sure you'll come back with a list of your own favorites!!:)

Another vote for the chateaubriand in the MDR. Also the short ribs; I believe they are underneath the filet on cruise elegant night. :confused: I LOVE the pot roast in gravy at the lunch buffet. Put a pile of fluffy mashed potatoes on the plate to soak up the awesome gravy. I am NOT a pot roast person, but I just LOVE the pot roast on Splendor. Also love the turkey wraps at the deli!!! Ask for a side of extra mayo for "dipping." :p

I have to disagree. Last week on Splendor sea day brunch eggs were inedible and home fries too hard to cut let alone eat.Service was poor. Rotisserie although quieter with lots of seating was tasteless and fatty like a very cheap family restaurant.

Dining room had some very good meals and some not so good. Chilled soups were o.k. But hots soups were tepid. Many raved about a bacon mac & cheese side one night.

Some of the room service sandwiches were the freshest and best we had on board.

Fruit was abundant and fresh.

Carnival offers good value for a family vacation with teens but don't sail her for the food!

Several of my family love the chocolate melting cake but I think it is like half cooked overly sweet batter! Ughhh!

Kids liked the pizza....but teen boys will eat almost anything and I didn't have it so can't comment.

They have very good "banana nut bread" at the breakfast buffet. That is what they call it, but it tastes like a date nut bread which is one of my favorite things from when I was a little girl. Slather some cream cheese on top! ;)

Some of my favorites are:

Thin crust pizza on Lido. It is awesome and available 24 hours.

Tandoor Indian buffet on Lido. Great lentil and vegetable dishes.

Deli on Lido offers very good sandwiches. Any sandwich can be panini pressed. They offer a menu but the servers will make any sandwich to your liking. My favorite are asking them to make a tuna melt or a turkey ruben.

In the MDR, the beef choices are my favorite such as the prime rib and the chateau briand.

For room service, I like the BLT and the chocolate cake.

At the sea day brunch, the steak and eggs, salmon & cream cheese with rye bread (I don't like the bagels) and the morning pastry basket are all a must.

During dinner hours, the Taste Bar offers small appetizer bites/soup. Taste Bar is located near the Promenade area. It is not offered every night so check the Fun Times.

Let's not forget the popcorn, cookies and brownies that are served on Lido during the night time "Dive in Movies".

Enjoy!

Enjoy.:cool:

Edited by JohnSpo

Why do I always read these threads when I am on a diet!!! Now I am starving. :eek:

LOL...we were on the Liberty two months ago and I had my first Guy's Burger and fell madly in love. A few times every day DH or I will say to the other: gee, I wish I had a Guys Burger right now. I am watching a show on Food Network: Best Burger Ever and all I can think of is being on a ship and eating a Guys Burger! :eek::eek::p:p

Sailed the Splendor last week and was disappointed in the food. I was on the Breeze last March and the Freedom this past November and the best food was hands down on the Freedom. The Lido deck food on the Breeze was excellent but their MDR food not so much. The Lido deck food on the Splendor with a few exceptions was horrible. One day they had pot roast and mashed potatoes that was very good. I was so looking forward to Tandoor because it was so good on the Breeze but not so much on the Splendor. Pizza was okay and the cookies outstanding. The MDR food was okay. The Sushi appetizer is delicious but very small so order two. The soups are pretty good. Most of the beef dishes are okay but the prime rib was not. The short ribs were excellent. The lobster was small

and not cooked right. The escargot were pretty good. The two times I got the chocolate melting cake it was overcooked. The ice cream was always melted by the time it came to the table. The bitter and blanc was good but not as good as on the Freedom. The room service food was always fresh, hot and really good. All the dining room servers were great-they work so hard. But if you're a foodie the Splendor is not the ship for you.

Well I'm going to think "positive," that the food will be good, when we get on the Splendor. :) I'm sure there will be SOMETHING that we will find that we like to eat there.

Since I am a "cookie monster," is there a place where I can get some cookies FREE, other than the buffet on the Lido deck? In otherwords, is there any other places that have cookies/sweets that we don't have to pay for?

Well I'm going to think "positive," that the food will be good, when we get on the Splendor. :) I'm sure there will be SOMETHING that we will find that we like to eat there.

Since I am a "cookie monster," is there a place where I can get some cookies FREE, other than the buffet on the Lido deck? In otherwords, is there any other places that have cookies/sweets that we don't have to pay for?

You will definitely not go hungry. :p I loved food on Splendor! I don't think there are any other areas/times when they have cookies except for the lunch buffet. Maybe at the dinner buffet on Lido, but I don't know that from experience since we always eat in the MDR. Advice is to just grab a big plate and load it up with cookies at lunch and bring it down to your cabin and you will have your stash there for whenever you have a craving! ;);) Have a great cruise. Absolutely loved the Splendor!

• 2 weeks later...
Oh, Johnspo, thanks for reminding me! The chocolate chip cookies at the Sweet Spot at lunch....ohhhhhh, sooooooo good. Let them sit in the sun for a minute so the chips get a little melty! :D:eek:

OK please do tell where is this Sweet Spot ?? :eek: